Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign OL Cam Erving

RandyOh

Reaction score
Had less than 600 snaps less season and was still able to rack up 5 sacks allowed and 7 penalties........

Hope we can get more out of him here (those are bad stats even for a back-up)
Childs play. We once got to witness Chaz Green give up 5 sacks and commit 7 penalties in a single game.

reddyuta

Reaction score
this is a wasted signing,i predict he will be cut after pre season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After thinking more about this signing, here are a couple of my thoughts:

1) Although there are better veteran tackle options still out there, it's possible they are wanting to sign somewhere where they stand a chance of winning the starting job or want more money than Dallas believes is reasonable for a swing tackle.

2) Erving is possibly more of a fallback if Hyatt, Knight or Steele fail to seize the spot or if Williams ends up starting at left guard. Erving's not a great tackle, but there's always a chance the others could be worse.

It might be in Dallas' best long-term interest for McGovern to prove better at left guard, so that we can find out if Williams can ultimately take over for Smith at left tackle. Line in a year could be Williams, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Collins. Or course, we need to find out if Williams, McGovern and Biadasz can handle those roles.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
this is a wasted signing,i predict he will be cut after pre season.

There's nothing wasted about bringing in an experienced vet to compete with 3 undrafted free agents for the swing OT job. If someone else is better then he'll be cut and it still wasn't a wasted signing. They also may be able to grab a better veteran swing OT along the way and it still wasn't a wasted signing. More competition and more choices for the final roster is always better. Just let it play out and hope they keep the best player.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I predict this won't be the your last dumb comment.

He started 8 games at LT in 2019 for the Super Bowl champions. The Cowboys most experienced backup OT is Brandon Knight a 2019 UDFA with 1 start at RT.

Do you think he fits better at OT or OG? He seems more like the Sua-Filo replacement than the swing tackle.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Do you think he fits better at OT or OG? He seems more like the Sua-Filo replacement than the swing tackle.

We have multiple guard options, but no experience at backup LT. Obviously, Erving has a quite a bit of experience at multiple positions, which is part of the attraction, but this is a direct replacement for Cameron Fleming IMO. Sua'-Filo's replacement is Connor McGovern (unless he beats out Connor Williams for the starting job), although Brandon Knight also showed he could play guard and Looney can do it if needed.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I predict this won't be the your last dumb comment.

He started 8 games at LT in 2019 for the Super Bowl champions. The Cowboys most experienced backup OT is Brandon Knight a 2019 UDFA with 1 start at RT.

i predict you are wrong.Brandon Knight will beat him out for swing tackle and i am not sure he is that good based on small sample size/

Kaiser

Reaction score
We have multiple guard options, but no experience at backup LT. Obviously, Erving has a quite a bit of experience at multiple positions, which is part of the attraction, but this is a direct replacement for Cameron Fleming IMO. Sua'-Filo's replacement is Connor McGovern (unless he beats out Connor Williams for the starting job), although Brandon Knight also showed he could play guard and Looney can do it if needed.

I have no idea but I do think there are plenty of veteran options left for the Swing Tackle spot.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I have no idea but I do think there are plenty of veteran options left for the Swing Tackle spot.

Marshall Newhouse would have made the most sense to me. However, signing Erving to compete at or back up guard just doesn't make sense because of the numbers there.

We let two backups leave in free agency and essentially replaced one with last year's draft pick (McGovern). We haven't replaced the other, so I feel very strongly that that is what this move is about. Now, I'd love to be wrong and we add Newhouse, too, or even better than that, we convince Jason Peters to ride off into the sunset as a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Marshall Newhouse would have made the most sense to me. However, signing Erving to compete at or back up guard just doesn't make sense because of the numbers there.

We let two backups leave in free agency and essentially replaced one with last year's draft pick (McGovern). We haven't replaced the other, so I feel very strongly that that is what this move is about. Now, I'd love to be wrong and we add Newhouse, too, or even better than that, we convince Jason Peters to ride off into the sunset as a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Newhouse was the poster SeanLee's guy, he totally makes sense as veteran willing to be a backup on a low contract, who has experience under our new coaches.

Fleming was due 4 Million this year and can be easily replaced. Sua-Filo had been effectively cut twice before he came to Dallas, that is no real loss IMO.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Swing tackle competition heatin up, this staff is gonna let a lot of guys compete and unlike JG’s staff the best man will win. Erving is a G too, hopefully he gives us comp at both. Looking forward to camp.

Nice, would have never sniffed this with JG.
Really unbelievable depth on the OL transcending.