Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign OL Cam Erving

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He's not a world-beater, or even a high-level starter in a pinch, but this is a brilliant move because of his flexibility. He has a nasty streak, which I love. He looks like a natural interior OL to me--wide, thick base, good punch. and likes to get nasty.

Carson

Reaction score
I wish they'd bring in a quality swing tackle instead of a 14th Guard.

Started 8 games at LT last season.

Has started at LT, LG, C, RG, RT.

Not really sure what else people expect. Prime Anthony Munoz isn’t out there wanting a 1 year, 3 million deal.

He likely ends Mitch Hyatt. Knight sticks around but is limited to RT, IMO. But I’ll trust McCarthy on how he wants to utilize him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't this the guy that our Irving abused in a game a few years ago?

On the play where they were ejected Erving took Irving to the ground 1st. Then Erving tied to bait Irving into getting the penalty but they both ended up ejected.

The QB had the ball for about 7 seconds. It was hardly a win for Irving...

Tussinman

Reaction score
Had less than 600 snaps less season and was still able to rack up 5 sacks allowed and 7 penalties........

Hope we can get more out of him here (those are bad stats even for a back-up)

Kaiser

Reaction score
Interesting...good signing. About a Sua’Filo level guard at worst + has position flex.

That was exactly my thought, he isn't the swing tackle we will sign soon but he is a better option to back up OG than Sua-Filo.

NOW FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON"T TELL THE GUY WHO STARTS SUA-FILO THREADS

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Well I remember him and why he was a no.1 pick in 2015...
Pre-draft measurables
6 ft 5 1⁄2 in 313 lb 5.15 40yd time 1.87 10yd split 4.63 shuttle 7.48 cone 30 1⁄2 in vertical
9 ft 4 in Broad Jump 30 reps 225lbs.
All values from NFL Combine

Here is what a Browns Fan thought of Him...
Here is what the Chief coach thought of him...

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

A legitimate swing tackle option. Maybe the most legitimate that we have, although I'm confident that Williams would be good there too.

Gives them the option of playing Williams at LG, McGovern still competing for OC.

I wonder about the cost. If cheap, it may be like Dalton, where they just picked up free money on the street. Or did they spend significantly, signaling that this is our new swing tackle?

Edit: Ooops, maybe not.

Yikes! PFF of 44.8. That's the lowest I can remember for a guy who started significant snaps. And that wasn't a fluke. That's about his score for the last 5 years. I'm puzzled that he's still in the league.
A first round pick that busts that hard. This is a weird one.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cam-erving/9452

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't like the signing. This guy is a hothead that does dumb stuff on the field and just hurts the team to make himself feel better. I hope he never gets game time on the field.

In our 'big ugglies' I don't know that I don't like someone with an aggressive 'tude...to take on the field. He'll quickly learn perspective of how to release that upon an opponent. Hey, helmet to chin works on a quarterback, and a tough lesson...but experience allows a lineman to be able to adapt to different players and their instinctive moves, twists, hands, and bull rushes. He will practice up pretty quickly and effectively, now.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
A legitimate swing tackle option. Maybe the most legitimate that we have, although I'm confident that Williams would be good there too.

Gives them the option of playing Williams at LG, McGovern still competing for OC.

I wonder about the cost. If cheap, it may be like Dalton, where they just picked up free money on the street. Or did they spend significantly, signaling that this is our new swing tackle?

Edit: Ooops, maybe not.

Yikes! PFF of 44.8. That's the lowest I can remember for a guy who started significant snaps. And that wasn't a fluke. That's about his score for the last 5 years. I'm puzzled that he's still in the league.
A first round pick that busts that hard. This is a weird one.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cam-erving/9452

I think if you propped up a corpse it would register at least a 50 PFF grade.

boro

Reaction score
He could eventually start pending injuries and have a good to great season. Next season someone signs Him to a big deal and we get a fourth round pick. Wishful thinking but could happen

CCBoy

Reaction score
Meh. Camp body. Doubt there's much guaranteed.
Obviously has talent , just gotta get it out of him....
Would rather give brandon knight reps

Sometimes, if a player sticks around...it's for a reason. Coachability, quickness of picking up finer points, and hard work around walk throughs. He probably can learn directly from film work...and being a vet with some 'attitude' apparently shows as well. Having a start as a defensive lineman, gives him instinctual instinct advantages when decisions become spontaneous.