Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign QB Andy Dalton

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is probably best move McCarthy has made. Some insurance with probably the best backup QB we’ve had since the 90’s.

I like signing the two veteran DTs (McCoy and Poe). Having a good backup quarterback makes me feel better about the position if we lose our starter, but those two guys may can help this defense be strong enough to actually take some of the load off the quarterback/offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo was making the big money when they let Dak keep his job. Now what?
That was after the fact.

Now if Dak goes down during preseason or holds out and Dalton takes us on a 11 game winning streak or 13-3 record then we might have a situation where they’d leave Dalton in.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Youre hurting his feelings.
OHhh...bit internet tough guy didn't expect my reply. LOL.

What the f is wrong with you people. Why so aggressive? Why so confrontational? Because you think you can;t beat everyone else up? LOL......internet tough guys sheesh.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Several million and possibly limiting us signing other players needed to surround and support.

The Cap has to be managed . We can’t afford to over pay everyone. You do understand the Cap implications?

The Salary Cap doesn’t allow teams to pay everyone what they want.
You do understand though that the salary cap increases every year? Not only that but the salary cap can be manipulated? You can restructure and free money up? So you telling me you don’t mind signing him to 34 million but will be upset if he gets 3 million more is silly to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like signing the two veteran DTs (McCoy and Poe). Having a good backup quarterback makes me feel better about the position if we lose our starter, but those two guys may can help this defense be strong enough to actually take some of the load off the quarterback/offense.
Yep

This is first time I can recall except for when Dak saved the season when our season isn’t necessarily over if our starter goes down. That’s what this signing is about.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was after the fact.

Now if Dak goes down during preseason or holds out and Dalton takes us on a 11 game winning streak or 13-3 record then we might have a situation where they’d leave Dalton in.
...LOL "
after the fact" After the fact of WHAT? You were talking about money then you changed it to something else. Typical losing the argument and moving the goal post to some other thing so you can "win".

Yes...it IS about wins...not money. Glad you decided to change your argument we now agree.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

This is first time I can recall except for when Dak saved the season when our season isn’t necessarily over if our starter goes down. That’s what this signing is about.

"This is first time I can recall except for when Dak saved the season when our season isn’t necessarily over if our starter goes down."

are you drunk? Look it;s okay...I;ve had a few myself by what are you talking about?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You do understand though that the salary cap increases every year? Not only that but the salary cap can be manipulated? You can restructure and free money up? So you telling me you don’t mind signing him to 34 million but will be upset if he gets 3 million more is silly to me.
I understand . But first of all I think they’re further apart than that. I think it’s closer to 10 million a year . And secondly you do have to draw the line at some point.

Let me ask you this. Does Dak deserve to be the highest paid QB? The reason I ask is we have to manage the Cap. What if we begun paying everyone the top salary at their position if they weren’t the best in the league? We certainly wouldn’t be able to keep those we wanted to.

Unless your argument is Dak is the best QB in the league right now? And should be paid accordingly,

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Who cares about that foolishness. This is a solid move by the Cowboys providing us some insurance if Dak goes down or holds out.

Only “Dak “ fans would be butt hurt.

I grow weary of it just because most of it is sheer stupidity whether it's on the part of Dak lovers who see it as some kind of threat or disrespect or haters who see it as an upgrade to Prescott. The objective viewpoint is that we picked up a player who is a clear improvement to our depth. That's a good thing that we should all celebrate instead of getting into name calling, bets, etc.

I'm not going to get caught up in that stuff myself, but I really don't care to have to wade through it to have a logical/reasonable conversation about a nice move that team made.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"This is first time I can recall except for when Dak saved the season when our season isn’t necessarily over if our starter goes down."

are you drunk? Look it;s okay...I;ve had a few myself by what are you talking about?
No, I’m not drunk.

Perhaps your not interpreting what I’m trying to say. When would you say was the last time we signed a backup QB of this stature. I’m thinking like Bernie Kosar or maybe Steve Buerlin in the 90’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
...LOL "
after the fact" After the fact of WHAT? You were talking about money then you changed it to something else. Typical losing the argument and moving the goal post to some other thing so you can "win".

Yes...it IS about wins...not money. Glad you decided to change your argument we now agree.
I’m not interesting in winning an argument. I believe you’ve misinterpreted my intention.

You mentioned money and why they benched Romo. I didn’t . I responded why I thought they didn’t put Romo back in and the similar scenario in which they might leave Dalton in.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
So you REFUSE to acknowledge Dak shares blame in 8-8. WelI get it, I wouldn't if I were YOU either. Your asinine side won;t allow it....

I stand by by statement. Sign the players and let the best man win. Dak or Andy or zeke or Pollard....doesn't matter to me...I have no stupid agenda that blinds me and makes me post stupid crap like you just did. Big internet tough guy....okay...big drunk king.
He does share some of the blame. But do i blame the QB for dropping the most balls in the nfl last season. Or the defense being below average. Or the special teams unit being the worst in the nfl?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact the usual suspects are out here saying Dalton is better than Dak is not even surprising. Lol.

I do not consider myself a "usual suspect" because I don't want Dak gone. I want the best player playing.

But.... do you have proof Dak is better? Here's where you'll cherry pick a certain stat to prove your point, right? But...what else in your head...makes Dak a clear cut better QB....all things being as equal as wen can get them.

I am asking sincerely and with all due respect. Not trying to trap you just want your opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dalton wasn’t signed to replace Dak or give him competition.

He was signed to provide a more suitable backup and possibly provide some insurance for the season if Dak holds out.

HeadlessHorseman

Reaction score
REALLY???

2-11 last year
5-6 in 2018
7-9 in 2017
6-9 in 2016

A few things, for context....

By 2016 the Bengals roster had quit in Marvin Lewis, the HC. It was painfully obvious his system was grossly outdated and that he was good at coaching up players, horrible at coming up with schemes and a modern system. Lewis was notorious for getting a 10 point lead by the 2nd quarter and trying to milk that miniscule lead the rest of the game throuh trying to run out the clock.

That was the second team to quit on Lewis during his tenure, FYI.

Due in large part to the team quitting on Marv, good players, what little there were started planning exit strategies, as did good assistant coaches. Instead of rebuilding and getting a new HC they stood pat until this season. Now the Bengals are not only in rebuild mode but throwing a rookie QB to the wolves with a horrendous O-Line.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He does share some of the blame. But do i blame the QB for dropping the most balls in the nfl last season. Or the defense being below average. Or the special teams unit being the worst in the nfl?
Ah...the "dropping balls" thing. I get it. But I'll have to go on record as saying "dropped balls" is a very dubious stat. You can burn me at the stake for it...that;s fine.

What makes a "dropped ball". The receiver had a finger tip on it? Two hands? Leapt in the air? "in the radius"? Reached behind at full speed?

This is a stat that puts the onus on the receiver. There's a description on a QB pass called "touch". And it means the QB makes it a more catchable ball. Where's the stat for that?

Here's Andy's "highlights " for 2019. Yep...I get it...everyone has highlights. Yep...these receivers made incredible effort on yards after catch...making awesome catches TOO! But....I note some very tight throws that I do not see Dak make. It doesn't mean Dak can;t throw or doesn't have highlights.

What I think is I am excited for the best of these two to start for us!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not interesting in winning an argument. I believe you’ve misinterpreted my intention.

You mentioned money and why they benched Romo. I didn’t . I responded why I thought they didn’t put Romo back in and the similar scenario in which they might leave Dalton in.

When you say stupid things like "butthurt" um...yes you have an agenda and want to win your argument. And I am not misinterpreting anything. YOUR immature words...need no interpreting.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton wasn’t signed to replace Dak or give him competition.

He was signed to provide a more suitable backup and possibly provide some insurance for the season if Dak holds out.

If you sign a perennial backup....you sign a backup. Insurance.
When you sign a starting player from previous season....you are heating things up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you say stupid things like "butthurt" um...yes you have an agenda and want to win your argument. And I am not misinterpreting anything. YOUR immature words...need no interpreting.
Wow!

I was referring to people who are “ Dak” fans. Meaning not necessarily Cowboy fans. Cause Cowboy fans first would always welcome good backup talent.