Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign QB Andy Dalton

Cmac

Reaction score
Lol

You really believe Jerry, Stephen and Mike have signed Dalton to replace Dak?

Has there been any indication that this one year deal for Dalton was anything more than to shore up our backup position and to provide some insurance if Dak went down or holds out?

Here's a report and there’s many others which describe what the Cowboys intentions are. If you have any links which support your opinion I’d like to see them .
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-back-up-dak-prescott-report-says/ar-BB13wtUQ

Diehard....I'm afraid you and the article are not gonna be considered believable or with any rationale. I've tried, unsuccessfully, I might add. There's already a Fan Club going.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Here's the deal...If Dak sits out or doesn't show up for the season, Andy will be the guy and Dak may not get the job back like Romo. Dak is not Brady or Brees.

i dont think Dak is stupid,he has 35 million reasons not to sit out.

Cmac

Reaction score
GettyImages-1019075970-e1588473653439.jpg

"I love it here. Where else can you be mediocre, and not have to worry about your job?"

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’m trying to interpret your intentions here.

You say “ turn up the heat”. Sounds like you mean competition for starting role? Which isn’t what the reports are saying and definitely probably not the Cowboys intention.

Titans said the same thing when they signed a washed up Tanny that Miami couldn't even trade for a bag of Doritos.

"This has nothing to do with Marriotta, he is our starter and Tanny is just a great backup".

How did that work out?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
neither does the nonsense that every qb derves next man up market explain the 28 who wil make UNDER 30, the elite can make demands Daks not that and he was offered very fair market value..markets go up and down, you must not follow the stock market , daks 8-8 campaign weak finish and missing playoffs now twice in 3 years with obvious warts..

his markets DOWN...buy low trade high..get with the program at some point there are starters who dont get the next big deal..

Jerry making my point as he didnt throw market money at dak..Winston, marriota, and others did not find the end of the rainbow,,think its not what you think unless and owner believes it is and many of us are thinking jerry's correct,,get dak lower or start finding anew qb..

The other 28 aren’t all on equal footing, therefore all don’t have the same market value. It’s nonsense to suggest they are. But Dak is certainly at least on equal footing with guys like Wentz and Cousins, and he is negotiating today and not a year or two ago.

Part of what you don’t get is that guys like Rodgers and Mahomes are not getting market value because they aren’t negotiating in the same time as Dak, and that if they were Dak would not be considered at the same pay level. That’s why he will get paid more than some guys that are as good or better - because he is negotiating now, and they aren’t. Market value is partially determined by timing.

And of course Dak has warts. All QBs do. And sure more than Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, but because guys like that are so rare teams have to pay to get the best quality they can out of the rest. Again, it’s supply and demand that dictates, not a QB poll ranking the QBs like you seem to think.

As for Jerry, most reports say he did throw something reasonably in the realm of what would be considered market money at Dak, but wanted a longer term deal than Dak did.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Titans said the same thing when they signed a washed up Tanny that Miami couldn't even trade for a bag of Doritos.

"This has nothing to do with Marriotta, he is our starter and Tanny is just a great backup".

How did that work out?

Difference is Mariota wasn’t any good and Dak is.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cincy players you've mentioned, while good, aren't as good as Zeke, Amari, Gallup, et al. And don't forget the Cowboys OL. Dalton got sacked 37 times in 2019.
I understand but I just don't like the idea of a veteran QB on their last legs stealing money from the Cowboys on their way out the door.

I would have preferred someone in the middle of their career that underachieved but can be resurrected under the right circumstances.

By now there is no one really available but I would prefer an undrafted rookie with some potential rather than someone that peaked five seasons ago.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I understand but I just don't like the idea of a veteran QB on their last legs stealing money from the Cowboys on their way out the door.

I would have preferred someone in the middle of their career that underachieved but can be resurrected under the right circumstances.

By now there is no one really available but I would prefer an undrafted rookie with some potential rather than someone that peaked five seasons ago.

32 is washed up for an NFL QB?

Tannyhill led the Titans to the AFC Title game and just signed a $100 million dollar contract extension...……….he is 31...…..Dalton is 32

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, you would prefer a completely unproven rookie that every team passed on in the draft to be the guy counted on to carry the load than a veteran who has proven he can play at a high level in the NFL.

Damn, I wish Philly had felt that way in 2017.

HotDog37

Reaction score
To me it means a paradigm shift from the FO in how it's drastically changed and how they will approach the drafts, player acquisitions, and FA contract signings. For so long the Cowboys was that place a player goes to get paid and be annointed. No competition at all. Just by getting rid of Garrett and adding McCarthy (this is key>) adding the people that McCarthy wanted and trusting his football approach - we no longer annoint. We get BPA's and we will approach positions as "best man wins". You get quarterbacks, ones that McCarthy thinks can play and you then let them compete for the job. You do not allow players to force negotiations to their side with no real competition unless they are absolutely elite. Dalton is the equalizer, and is also at the very least equal to if not better than Dak Prescott on the football field. Essentially we just upgraded the #1 QB spot but we'll call it a backup spot and did it for 1 year backup money so that we could play him immediately if Dak was hurt or not playing for some reason (holdout), and at the same time it's an upgrade. Fantastic signing. Would never have been done in the Garrett era.

Win/Win

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
To me it means a paradigm shift from the FO in how it's drastically changed and how they will approach the drafts, player acquisitions, and FA contract signings. For so long the Cowboys was that place a player goes to get paid and be annointed. No competition at all. Just by getting rid of Garrett and adding McCarthy (this is key>) adding the people that McCarthy wanted and trusting his football approach - we no longer annoint. We get BPA's and we will approach positions as "best man wins". You get quarterbacks, ones that McCarthy thinks can play and you then let them compete for the job. You do not allow players to force negotiations to their side with no real competition unless they are absolutely elite. Dalton is the equalizer, and is also at the very least equal to if not better than Dak Prescott on the football field. Essentially we just upgraded the #1 QB spot but we'll call it a backup spot and did it for 1 year backup money so that we could play him immediately if Dak was hurt or not playing for some reason (holdout), and at the same time it's an upgrade. Fantastic signing. Would never have been done in the Garrett era.

Win/Win

Excellent post.