Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Thompson

Jake0

Reaction score
Looks like this signing is to be the speed backup to whatever speed receiver we draft. Need the insurance because if the drafted guy gets hurt, Dallas is back to having no deep threat.

Cheaper than Mike Wallace so... seems like the better signing for the role of the 2 IMO.

Fairly certain Dallas will come out of the draft with someone who is a deep threat.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You just described our #1 receiver while dizzing our #4 WR.

Dude, you notice that too............I just made a post about how he was describing Dez.

50/50 jump ball WR..........check
Cant run routes.................check (although Dez is going to work on that this summer with his new guru coach, lol)
Lacks top end speed.........check
Drops passes....................check

Yep, if that doesn't describe Dez, I don't know what does. And we are paying him $17 mil:lmao2:

CowboyChris

Reaction score
There’s no maybe about it. DE and DT are needs.

That’s why they should sign a vet OL and not force yet another high round pick on an OL.
you will be disappointed....DE and DT are the least of our worries....OG, OT, LB, and WR will have priority over DT and DE

Sydla

Reaction score
you will be disappointed....DE and DT are the least of our worries....OG, OT, LB, and WR will have priority over DT and DE

Then we will once again have an average DL that will be middle of the pack in terms of sacks and pressuring the QB like we were last year.

This is why ignoring FA and trying to find a couple of starters at need positions hurts this team.

bandfan

Reaction score
Not sure how someone could complain about this deal, but I'm sure a lot will. More yds than Beasley
If 25yo Jerry Rice stepped out of a time machine and offered to play for the league minimum somebody would say he's too old don't do it.....

Hadenough

Reaction score
Looks like this signing is to be the speed backup to whatever speed receiver we draft. Need the insurance because if the drafted guy gets hurt, Dallas is back to having no deep threat.

Cheaper than Mike Wallace so... seems like the better signing for the role of the 2 IMO.

Fairly certain Dallas will come out of the draft with someone who is a deep threat.
Eagles just signed Mike Wallace for 1 year 2.5 mil. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Then we will once again have an average DL that will be middle of the pack in terms of sacks and pressuring the QB like we were last year.

This is why ignoring FA and trying to find a couple of starters at need positions hurts this team.
This whole Free Agency so far has been totally sad, especially the part of the FO being on vacation in the Bahamas.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Short-term deal so no long-term risk, but I'll be shocked if he gets 30 catches the whole season.

Seems like the FO is at least keeping the cap more open for next year when the skies get less cloudy. Realistically, we basically will have the same team as last year (outside of coaching staff), just have to hope for a different result.

So the plan is to field pretty much the exact same team that didn't even make the playoffs, add some free agent scrubs, sprinkle in some rookies from the draft, and hope for the best?

Sounds like a very well though out, logical, and strategic plan.....................I'm down with it:thumbup:

Reactions: CWR

Sydla

Reaction score
If 25yo Jerry Rice stepped out of a time machine and offered to play for the league minimum somebody would say he's too old don't do it.....

If the front office refused to sign that Jerry Rice some here would say it's a great job by the FO and Rice would be nothing but a progress stopper.

So it works both ways around here.

Jake0

Reaction score
Eagles just signed Mike Wallace for 1 year 2.5 mil. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

The Wallace deal has incentives that can take it up to $4 million I believe. Don't think Deonte Thompson's can reach that number.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That’s coming !!!

Let all the little schmucks get in their giggles now, they will all be quick to try an jump in the front seat of the bandwagon come mid November

I had my seat before April

Hey dude, are you ok?

I know you were riding in the front seat last year when the wheels came off the wagon and it toppled over, I was worried for a couple of minutes, but lucky it looks like it was just you on board.

article-2682918-1F71824A00000578-183_634x393.jpg

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He is a field stretcher. He had a better 2017 than Sammy Watkins, and his 15+ yards per reception is impressive playing in Buffalo with a QB who protects the ball and doesn’t throw downfield.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that looks likely, too. They clearly want to add speed guys to stretch coverage and let us move Dak around and run at that. If you do that, you probably want more than one guy so you have a threat in case the starter gets hurt. Try to get the ball to Elliott more in the passing game, keep the slot WRs who are tough to cover one on one, and maybe add a speedy RB in the 4th or 5th round to keep that wrinkle in the game. That puts Dez, Terrence, and Noah Brown in a position where one of them maybe doesn't make the final roster. I'm going to guess they try to trade Terrence at cut downs since Brown has some value on STs and they seem to like him given that they kept him active several weeks and worked him into the game plan late in the year.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

I think you nailed it. Wallace would want a bigger role than sitting behind a rookie and probably wouldn't have signed here anyway. Thompson has always been a complementary receiver, so he has no problem taking 2.5 million and doing that again.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Scouting Report: WR Thompson Has Impressive Speed, Solid Hands

scouting-report-new-wr-thompson-has-impressive-game-speed-solid-hands-hero.jpg

• I was impressed with his playing speed. He shows the ability to separate as he gets down the field.
  • He puts some pressure on the defensive back and their cushion. He can cover some ground when running. Some of his best routes are deep across the field.
  • Nice body control and balance. He had to make some adjusting catches where the ball was in terrible position.
  • This is a consistent route runner. He is not one of those guys that’s all over the place.

Jake0

Reaction score
I think that looks likely, too. They clearly want to add speed guys to stretch coverage and let us move Dak around and run at that. If you do that, you probably want more than one guy so you have a threat in case the starter gets hurt. Try to get the ball to Elliott more in the passing game, keep the slot WRs who are tough to cover one on one, and maybe add a speedy RB in the 4th or 5th round to keep that wrinkle in the game. That puts Dez, Terrence, and Noah Brown in a position where one of them maybe doesn't make the final roster. I'm going to guess they try to trade Terrence at cut downs since Brown has some value on STs and they seem to like him given that they kept him active several weeks and worked him into the game plan late in the year.

Yes, someone of those 3 will have to be moved somehow for sure. Probably end up with 2 possession, 2 speed, 2 slot WRs.

Trading TWill after June 1st is pretty much the only way to save money from him if he is the odd man out. Cutting really isn't an option.

CWR

Reaction score

I like the sound of this plan! I hope you're right buddy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you nailed it. Wallace would want a bigger role than sitting behind a rookie and probably wouldn't have signed here anyway. Thompson has always been a complementary receiver, so he has no problem taking 2.5 million and doing that again.

He’s going to be the third WR in Philly and fourth pass catching option there when you add in Ertz.