Twitter: Cowboys Signing Aldon Smith to 1-yr/$4M Deal (must be reinstated first)

817Gill

Reaction score
I don’t know who signed Aldon. He was linked with Tomsula a month ago.

i really hope they don’t draft based on these older players they’ve signed.
I’m taking a CB first regardless. Unless some top 15 stud is left I don’t think ignoring CB makes any sense at all. Even if it means trading back into the 20’s and taking Fulton while netting an extra 2/3

817Gill

Reaction score
IMO this move doesn't really change things if they love a DE. If they think Chaisson is a top ten talent but is there at 17, I think they still take him.

CB is definitely a need but I think everything else could be BPA. There should be slot WRs available later in the draft and I wouldn't be afraid to go to camp with Devin Smith, Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown competing for that spot. Not optimal, but I wouldn't freak out.
I get it, I’m just trying to maximize these next 2-3 years of prime talent of our core making a SB push. We desperately need a CB1, we drafted 2 DE’s last year albeit late picks. I’m not that huge on Chaisson, his production wasn’t great in school and he’s more of a trait guy than anything. Had we brought in Trufant, I’m good with taking a guy with development upside. But with an immediate need at CB1 I’m looking for CJ, Fulton, or Diggs. Any of those three would immediately be our best CB. If it’s not CJ at 17, then trade back for Fulton/Diggs and an additional 3rd.

Of course if the WR board plays out to where we can stand pat till round 3 before we go there I’m fine with that, but I would like one of those guys who are borderline 1st rounders. The second and third rounds this year will be where the steals are. The guys on the roster are good, but we have the chance to get a huge threat the earlier we select a WR. Why settle for solid when we can get a game changer?

Team is a CB1 and WR3 from being set at every starting position

Kaiser

Reaction score
Team is a CB1 and WR3 from being set at every starting position

I totally agree, what I go back to on WR3 is that McCarthy turned Randall Cobb as a second round pick into a productive player right away. I do think that between McCarthy, Kellen Moore and the fact 5 of the other 10 offensive starters have been to a Pro Bowl, they can make even a 3rd or 4th round pick into a productive WR3 as a rookie. Especially in a draft this deep.

But I agree with you, even if they went WR at 17 I wouldn't mind as long as the 2nd rounder was a CB.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think we're gonna try to address the secondary in the draft. We lost a few starters and only added Ha Ha. Even though our DL is full of veterans, I think they wanna go with an experienced DL and there isn't much room for a rookie. We now have 6 vets on the DL with Lawrence, Gregory, Smith, Crawford, McCoy and Poe. I expect a CB in the 1st and a S in the 2nd.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
good luck with the redemption in this organization. This organization encourages the behavior these guys are trying to get away from and it starts at the top.

Pac Man was a changed man until he was in the club and needed personal security after months of irvin and others selling him as some reformed man. Same with Hardy. Same with McClain...etc..

they are cheap. Jerry is cheap. thats all. The jones family simply doesn't care about anything except money.

If they hired OJ as the RB coach next year I wouldn't be surprised.

Point of view Noted, I prefer to police my own house. Not my money or Business to worry about another man's pockets and choices. Let's just hope for the best for everyone's sake.

Verdict

Reaction score
It didn't go over my head, Melvin. It went over yours. The reason why you take more of a chance with Smith is he was actually a good player. Gregory was not. The two should never be compared.

I never understood the willingness to draft Gregory and then pass on Watt who is similar in size to Gregory.

keysersoze

Reaction score
This organization is absolutely terrible. This guy has multiple DUI's, guilty of a hit and run and a domestic violence arrest where he held a woman against her will and bit her wrists to injure her.

I hate this organization with a passion and I can't wait to watch it fall flat on its face if and when we have football again.

This is just terrible. The organization that forced Greg Hardy on it's fan base now pulls this nonsense.

All because he is cheap which says it all about the Jones family. I hope this team goes 3-13.
You do realize there’s 31 other teams to support. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, if he is so good why is he availa......

Never mind.

Seriously, in his only full season he had 19.5 sacks and the next year he had 8.5 sacks in 8 starts. If he is half that and Gregory is healthy, I like that rotation.
The problem with this guy isn’t talent. It’s his off field stuff. I’m all for second chances but I think this is his 4th- two with SF and one with the raiders. And his last arrest was domestic violence. I have a much bigger problem with that than alcohol or drug problems. This looks like a Jerry move.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong has got to be beyond pissed. All he does when he is on the field is produce...yet...he's always being tried to be replaced. Wouldn't shock me if he asks for his release.

He is better than many give him credit for.