Cowboys Spend $24M+ in Free Agengy; Fans unhappy

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I guess you can technically improve if your own guys get better, but they can also get worse or not live up to their contract.
We've seen that many times before, that's for sure.

I still think Jerry and company aren't involved in FA's as much because of their cap situation. After 2019, some big contracts will expire. But until then, this team is strapped for cash so to speak.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But they beat the super bowl champs (practice squad) to finish the season. I guess they are ready.

I think they had a couple of hot dog vendors playing in that game too, but a win is a win!!!

LittleD

Reaction score
So what? So your saying they will just naturally be better because of bad luck and misfortune last year? Those things happen every year. Standing pat with an underachieving team is not the path to success.

No...I'm saying if you mortgage our cap for the next decade to add a lot of overpriced FA, there is no guarantee that we would get better either.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Are they a better team than last year? Maybe that’s why some of us are unhappy.

Better on paper? Because it’s kinda early to know if anyone will be better on the field.

Including the teams that signed your coveted FA’s

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No...I'm saying if you mortgage our cap for the next decade to add a lot of overpriced FA, there is no guarantee that we would get better either.

Nobody is screaming for a lot of overpriced FAs. Fix one glaring hole! One! You know what is a guarantee? Standing pat with the same group of underachievers will not make them better. Chew on that!

mardwin

Reaction score
I think they had a couple of hot dog vendors playing in that game too, but a win is a win!!!

The only franchise that would find a way to sabotage their own chances for next season buy winning a meaningless game. I don't want to hear a pip about this team moving up on the draft since there's no difference in picking 15th v 19th.

LittleD

Reaction score
Nobody is screaming for a lot of overpriced FAs. Fix one glaring hole! One! You know what is a guarantee? Standing pat with the same group of underachievers will not make them better. Chew on that!

We did...last year we yelled and yelled for DE. We have Taco this year and kept Lawrence and Irving. We are fixing holes each year or trying.
You can't fix them all because we can't have all pros at every position now can we.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Fix the line: Upgrade OG, Sign a swing tackle, &

Is Free Agency over?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are they a better team than last year? Maybe that’s why some of us are unhappy.

Until the season plays out we don't know the answer to that question.

I am sure many here think they know...but they don't.

A couple of years ago many were complaining that everyone else around us was improving and we were doing nothing and we were getting worse.

We won the NFC East and had a pretty good record and if not for a call that shall not be named so we don't get the crazies starting a whole thread about it...we may have had a better playoff run.

Last year many complained about the lack of activity in the off season and said everyone was getting better and we were not. We had a crappy year.

So we are about at a .500 prediction rate of being worse vs better.

We are basically about as good as the .500 ginger's coaching record...although a few will have to come in and tell me how he is just a few games above .500.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Until the season plays out we don't know the answer to that question.

I am sure many here think they know...but they don't.

A couple of years ago many were complaining that everyone else around us was improving and we were doing nothing and we were getting worse.

We won the NFC East and had a pretty good record and if not for a call that shall not be named so we don't get the crazies starting a whole thread about it...we may have had a better playoff run.

Last year many complained about the lack of activity in the off season and said everyone was getting better and we were not. We had a crappy year.

So we are about at a .500 prediction rate of being worse vs better.

We are basically about as good as the .500 ginger's coaching record...although a few will have to come in and tell me how he is just a few games above .500.

We sign a capable swing tackle and upgrade LG and we're already a better team than last year.

diefree666

Reaction score
we are basically treading water. We actually have more holes now then when we started last season. Resigning your own just means you are staying the same. NOT IMPROVING.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
We did...last year we yelled and yelled for DE. We have Taco this year and kept Lawrence and Irving. We are fixing holes each year or trying.
You can't fix them all because we can't have all pros at every position now can we.

Seriously? You think they fixed DE last year and now we should all just shut up and not care about anything else. Taco was as close to a 1st round bust as you can get and still have hope for him. Lawrence broke out in a contract year so we will have to wait and see if he is capable of repeating his performance. If there wasn’t any doubt associated with him, he wouldn’t he tagged, he be signed through 2023 right now. Irving may still leave and most certainly will not be in Dallas after this season. Not to mention he is one step from a long suspension. DE is far from fixed for the foreseeable future.

JustChip

Reaction score
Yes but if you only sign Jags in Free Agency and lose Starters and Backups in the Meantime you cant equal that through a Draft.

Normally only Day 1 Guys start or make an Impact anyway.

So as of today we are a lot worse than last year.

Not true.

First off, it doesn't matter if the person you lost was a starter on your team, the issue is whether the replacement is as or more capable. Maybe your starter was starting by default, not because of superior capabilities.

Secondly, Day 1 guys now are only Round 1. So you're saying anything other than the top 32 picks don't and cannot start or make an impact? I think you have to agree that's not correct. And it's certainly not true that a Day 1 player is an automatic - maybe the bust risk is less, but certainly not zero.

I would agree that the loss of Hitchens and Cooper appear to make the team worse, but the salient word you used is "today". I believe the draft will yield equal or better players for those 2. Granted, there will be a loss of experience, but talent level can mitigate that until the experience is gained.

The team is better today simply by having the chaos of the Zeke situation behind. Of course, new issues could arise, D Law or Irving could get suspended, or for that matter, Zeke could do something stupid again. And the experience gained by the secondary, and yes, Jaylon Smith and Taco, makes the team better.

Bottom line is that nobody was picking the Eagles to be SB, or even NFCE, champs at this time last year even after their FA signings. Nor was anybody picking the Cowboys to be NFCE champs in 2016.

I'm not a Pollyanna, but the Chicken Little syndrome is way too rampant here. There are questions and concerns yet to be addressed, as there are for 31 other teams, including the Eagles and Patriots. Maybe doing something headline worthy makes someone feel better, but there's no guarantee that it makes the team better.​

diefree666

Reaction score
We sign a capable swing tackle and upgrade LG and we're already a better team than last year.
Maybe. If so its frankly a small improvement. You could argue we did the same last season at those positions; some here did. Cooper was not quite as good as Leary or Collins at guard but he was not far off and as a former #1 pick it was thought he had more potential. As regards swing tackle the boys were VERY confident in Green as regards swing tackle.

Sydla

Reaction score
And we will, I promise.

The FA or two we would have already signed would have cost us big bucks and lost us Lawrence or Irving.

Its idiocy to suggest otherwise

Really? So signing Mathieu to a one year deal, for example,would have cost us Irving?

You do realize there is this wide chasm of free agency between overpaying for the elite FAs and bargain bin shopping for slop, right?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And in response, here is a random dancing Wade Phillips:

27diwfb.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
$17,143,000 - Demarcus Lawrence
$ 2,914,000 - David Irving
$ 1,640,000 - Jamize Olawale
$ 1,350,000 - Brian Price
$ 1,100,000 - L.P. Ladouceur

The problem with this is that other teams are adding players in an effort to improve while these moves just keep us the same team we were last year.

In fact, we've lost our starting middle linebacker and a starting guard, so we're actually worse at the moment than what we were last year.

You can't build entirely through the draft and expect to compete with teams that are doing that AND using free agency to supplement their roster.

diefree666

Reaction score
Not true.

First off, it doesn't matter if the person you lost was a starter on your team, the issue is whether the replacement is as or more capable. Maybe your starter was starting by default, not because of superior capabilities.

Secondly, Day 1 guys now are only Round 1. So you're saying anything other than the top 32 picks don't and cannot start or make an impact? I think you have to agree that's not correct. And it's certainly not true that a Day 1 player is an automatic - maybe the bust risk is less, but certainly not zero.

I would agree that the loss of Hitchens and Cooper appear to make the team worse, but the salient word you used is "today". I believe the draft will yield equal or better players for those 2. Granted, there will be a loss of experience, but talent level can mitigate that until the experience is gained.

The team is better today simply by having the chaos of the Zeke situation behind. Of course, new issues could arise, D Law or Irving could get suspended, or for that matter, Zeke could do something stupid again. And the experience gained by the secondary, and yes, Jaylon Smith and Taco, makes the team better.

Bottom line is that nobody was picking the Eagles to be SB, or even NFCE, champs at this time last year even after their FA signings. Nor was anybody picking the Cowboys to be NFCE champs in 2016.
I'm not a Pollyanna, but the Chi
cken Little syndrome is way too rampant here. There are questions and concerns yet to be addressed, as there are for 31 other teams, including the Eagles and Patriots. Maybe doing something headline worthy makes someone feel better, but there's no guarantee that it makes the team better.
first off show how often the boys have gotten really good starters from lower than round ONE over the last 5 years. So your claim about the draft is not really valid from looking at the Boys.
This idea that you should only dumpster dive during FA is just as STUPID as trying to sign big ticket FA's all the time.

the reality is that in Todays NFL you have to add about 3 starters a year to keep pace. Getting three starters a year from the draft VERY RARELY HAPPENS