Cowboys starting RDE?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think he's a safe player. You know he isn't too 10 but he's a solid or more type guy, and good leader. If randy and Smith make this team it's likely Armstrong or Jackson are done. Right now is the time to have a lot of guys along the line as teams tend to lose some during TC. Maybe we use that depth or trade some away if need be.

With the story of Aldon at 287 and super freaky, the competition between Crawford and Smith seems even more direct. Big enough to slide inside like Crawford would.

Gregory FreakySmith McCoy Dlaw as the pass rush set.

The *ceiling* on that lineup is incredible.

Giggity!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I believe they are going to draft a starting caliber RE within the first two days of the draft, along with drafting another day 3 player at the position. Crawford right now is penciled in as the starter with Armstrong behind him at the moment.

They have to draft one!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Remember Gregory, Smith, and Crawford will be free agents after this year
**Gregory has started only 1 game in five years
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

I hope we will sign a good one thru FA. Just because i think our chances to get a good CB via the draft are so much higher.

kskboys

Reaction score
True and from I've heard, I'd be shocked if they graded one as a top 17 player. Hell, I can see a G/center type before RB. BTW......have you or anyone heard how players are carrying hard 1st round grades. If I remember correctly, last year it was around 18-20.
Dobbins.

Always mixed, of course, but if the draft falls as they think it will, he could easily be BPA at 17.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm frankly blown away by their RDE, CB and S situation. But RIDE the most reliable thing we have is hoping Crawford comes back.

Yikes
Safe to say there is a lot riding on this draft for the defense.