Cowboys State of the Cap

ksg811

Reaction score
With the start of legal tampering and free agency upon us, I thought I’d give a brief breakdown of the Cowboys current cap picture and also just to have a thread to discuss and keep up with any moves they make.

As was announced today, the league informed team of a salary cap of $198.2 million. The Cowboys have just under $19.5 million in rollover space from 2019, giving them a total cap of $217.68 million.

With it being the offseason, the rule of 51 applies, meaning only the top 51 salaries are accounted for against the cap. Adjusted for the new minimum salaries under the new CBA, the Cowboys have $146.1 million in salary to the top 51 of 52 current players under contract and an additional $2m in dead money, leaving $69.6 million in cap space.

Cut candidates
Tyrone Crawford - $8m in savings
Cam Fleming - $4.4m in savings
Chris Jones - $1.4m in savings

Restructure candidates
DeMarcus Lawrence - $11.9m
Zack Martin - $8m
Tyron Smith - $6.7m
Travis Frederick - $4.5m
Ezekiel Elliot - $4.7m
La’el Collins - $4.4m
Jaylon Smith - $3.5m

Additionally, because it’s typically a point of contention during the offseason, draft picks also fall under the rule of 51, so only picks that would qualify as a top 51 contract have their full cap hits count against the cap. The other only count the prorated portion of their bonus. By my estimates, that is about $2.7m to sign the draft class.

Daillest88

Reaction score
So can create another 50 million lol . I’d just restructure Lawrence and Martins. Cut Crawford and Fleming and go after some DTs in free agency

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
With the start of legal tampering and free agency upon us, I thought I’d give a brief breakdown of the Cowboys current cap picture and also just to have a thread to discuss and keep up with any moves they make.

As was announced today, the league informed team of a salary cap of $198.2 million. The Cowboys have just under $19.5 million in rollover space from 2019, giving them a total cap of $217.68 million.

With it being the offseason, the rule of 51 applies, meaning only the top 51 salaries are accounted for against the cap. Adjusted for the new minimum salaries under the new CBA, the Cowboys have $146.1 million in salary to the top 51 of 52 current players under contract and an additional $2m in dead money, leaving $69.6 million in cap space.

Cut candidates

Restructure candidates
Zack Martin - $8m
Tyron Smith - $6.7m
Travis Frederick - $4.5m
Ezekiel Elliot - $4.7m
La’el Collins - $4.4m
Jaylon Smith - $3.5m

Additionally, because it’s typically a point of contention during the offseason, draft picks also fall under the rule of 51, so only picks that would qualify as a top 51 contract have their full cap hits count against the cap. The other only count the prorated portion of their bonus. By my estimates, that is about $2.7m to sign the draft class.
Geez, I would be working on exit strategies from many of your restructure candidates rather than kicking their salaries down the road.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cut candidates

Restructure candidates
Zack Martin - $8m
Tyron Smith - $6.7m
Travis Frederick - $4.5m
Ezekiel Elliot - $4.7m
La’el Collins - $4.4m
Jaylon Smith - $3.5m

Generally only draft picks in the top 4 rounds have salaries in the top 51 and obviously they replace a player on the 51 which means that player's salary is subtracted from the picks cost to the cap.

For simplicity only 1st round picks add any significant cap hit and that scales based on where they are picked.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we can sign everyone if we so choose. Those are the facts. But we simply don't believe in Byron Jones so he's gone. I think we can see some surprises too. I think we keep Michael Bennett and Quinn.

ksg811

Reaction score
Generally only draft picks in the top 4 rounds have salaries in the top 51 and obviously they replace a player on the 51 which means that player's salary is subtracted from the picks cost to the cap.

For simplicity only 1st round picks add any significant cap hit and that scales based on where they are picked.

Correct. Didn’t want to get into the technical minutiae. It was more just to retract the uninformed “BUT SPOTRAC SAYS ITS SEVEN MILLION!” crowd.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Cut candidates

Restructure candidates
Zack Martin - $8m
Tyron Smith - $6.7m
Travis Frederick - $4.5m
Ezekiel Elliot - $4.7m
La’el Collins - $4.4m
Jaylon Smith - $3.5m

Here's what you didn't say about rule 51. That only applies until the day before the season starts and then rule 51 ends and all player contracts have to be within cap limits.

Next the Cowboys suffered through more than two decades of renegotiating contracts that eventually added dead money to the cap leaving very little cap space to do anything except renegotiate more contracts so with the Cowboys this season having both dollar amounts and percentage amounts more cap space than they EVER had I seriously doubt that they will decide to jump back into the ugly vicious cycle again.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
we can sign everyone if we so choose. Those are the facts. But we simply don't believe in Byron Jones so he's gone. I think we can see some surprises too. I think we keep Michael Bennett and Quinn.
Bennett doesn't seem to want to come back and has indicated he is interested in returning to Seattle.

ultron

Reaction score
Also, it’s extremely important that we sign Dak to a deal and not franchise tag him. If we tag him the whole $33million goes towards the cap and that will cripple this team.

tm1119

Reaction score
Cut: Fleming and Crawford
Restructure: Lawrence and Martin

Cap space of right around 96Mil

Resign: Dak, Cooper, Quinn, Collins, Cobb, Looney, 1 of Lee or Joe Thomas

Structure the contracts right and we can easily go into free agency with at least 20 mil to spend. Sign a vet CB to replace Byron and then pick either DT or S and sign a good difference maker starter at the position.

I’d be a happy camper with that going into the draft

Rayman70

Reaction score
Also, it’s extremely important that we sign Dak to a deal and not franchise tag him. If we tag him the whole $33million goes towards the cap and that will cripple this team.
bingo. Which the tag wont stay very long. We will only use it to buy us more time to extend him. But it should never have gotten to this. Jerry is buying every second he can and if the tag buys him more free pub, he will use it. We wont be killing our cap and paying out this tag. NO WAY. It may not come to that.