Cowboys State of the Cap

ksg811

Reaction score
The Cowboys restructured La’el Collins’s contract, converting $5m of his base salary into a signing bonus, being prorated $1m a year over the remaining 5 years of his deal, saving $4m against this year’s cap. Cowboys now officially have $39.45m in cap space.

I have not yet verified the structure of Amari Coopers 5 year $100m deal, but I expect it to have a 1st year cap hit around $10m. Cowboys should have just under $30m in space after accounting for Cooper. I will update once final details emerge.

ksg811

Reaction score
Details of Amari Cooper's contract have been released. He has base salaries of $10m in 2020 and $20m in 2021-24 and a $10m signing bonus. It is essentially a 2 year deal for $40m with 3 $20m team options.

With a 2020 cap hit of $12m, the Cowboys now have $27.45m in cap space.

The Cowboys still have the following methods of gaining space:

Cut candidates
Tyrone Crawford - $8m in savings
Cam Fleming - $4.4m in savings
Chris Jones - $1.4m in savings

Restructure candidates - NOTE: These figures are if the max amount of salary is converted to a signing bonus.
DeMarcus Lawrence - $11.9m
Zack Martin - $8m
Tyron Smith - $6.7m
Travis Frederick - $4.5m
Jaylon Smith - $3.5m

Extending Dak Prescott would likely save around $10m from his $31.5m franchise tag.

ksg811

Reaction score
Cam Fleming's option was declined by the Dallas Cowboys. This saves them $4.4m in cap space. He is replaced in the top 51 by Donovan Olumba and his minimum $610k salary for a net cap savings of $3.8M

I also just noticed I failed to account for the rule of 51in my last update for Amari Cooper. Cooper replaced Olumba in the top 51 so the net impact was $11.39m.

The Cowboys now have $31.9m in cap space.

There are still no confirmed structure details on Darian Thompson's 2 year deal so that is not currently included on my books.

Sydla

Reaction score
Cam Fleming's option was declined by the Dallas Cowboys. This saves them $4.4m in cap space. He is replaced in the top 51 by Donovan Olumba and his minimum $610k salary for a net cap savings of $3.8M

I also just noticed I failed to account for the rule of 51in my last update for Amari Cooper. Cooper replaced Olumba in the top 51 so the net impact was $11.39m.

There are still no confirmed structure details on Darian Thompson's 2 year deal so that is not currently included on my books.

That number seems low but I didn't read the early part of the thread. Does this number take into account the rookie pool, etc?

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Boy. 80m goes fast when your QB is greedy

ksg811

Reaction score
That number seems low but I didn't read the early part of the thread. Does this number take into account the rookie pool, etc?

It does not take the rookie pool into account. It does however include all the increases in minimum salary per the new CBA and all transactions except Thompson. Really, the big fat number is Dak’s $31.5m franchise tag number.

ksg811

Reaction score
Sean Lee’s 1 year $4.5m contract is straightforward. Replacing Wyatt Miller’s minimum $610 in the top 51, Dallas now has $28m in cap space.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Whoops....
Yeah, I owned that in another thread. I don’t like their RT depth because I honestly don’t think McGovern or Williams can be effective outside but I guess we’ll find out

ksg811

Reaction score
Safety Darian Thompson signed a 2 year $2.5m contract with $200k guaranteed. For 2020, he has a salary of $1m, prorated signing bonus of $100k, and $93,750 in LTBE per game roster bonus (15/16 of $100k per game roster bonus) for a cap charge of $1,193,750. When accounting for the rule of 51, replacing Marcus Henry's $610k minimum contract nets a cap charge of $583,750. The Cowboys now have $27.4m.

The details of Gerald McCoy's 3 year deal are still unknown and will be updated once verified.

The Cowboys should also receive a $2.5m cap credit once they designate their Minimum Salary Benefit players per the new CBA. The new Minimum Salary Benefit rule allows teams to designate 2 players they have re-signed to exclude up to $1.25m in salary for each player from the cap.

DRella

Reaction score
So 28 million needs to sign us a CB, S, DE. Seems legit to get it done without any more restructuring needed.

ksg811

Reaction score
Updating for long snapper L.P. Ladouceur's 1 year minimum deal. As he has for years, he qualifies for the minimum salary benefit, which is different from the new veteran salary benefit (4 year qualifying contract) I discussed in my last update. The minimum salary benefit allows a player to receive his full minimum salary, but only a salary charge equal to a 3rd year minimum player, so long as they receive no more than $137,500 in other compensation (signing/roster bonus, incentives, etc).

Ladouceur's salary charge of a 2 credited season player is $750,000 plus his maximum bonus of $137,500 holds a cap charge of $887,500. In accordance with rule 51, replacing the $610k 51st nets a cap charge of $277,500. The Cowboys now have $27.1m in cap space. Still waiting for full details on Gerald McCoy.

garyv

Reaction score
Updating for long snapper L.P. Ladouceur's 1 year minimum deal. As he has for years, he qualifies for the minimum salary benefit, which is different from the new veteran salary benefit (4 year qualifying contract) I discussed in my last update. The minimum salary benefit allows a player to receive his full minimum salary, but only a salary charge equal to a 3rd year minimum player, so long as they receive no more than $137,500 in other compensation (signing/roster bonus, incentives, etc).

Ladouceur's salary charge of a 2 credited season player is $750,000 plus his maximum bonus of $137,500 holds a cap charge of $887,500. In accordance with rule 51, replacing the $610k 51st nets a cap charge of $277,500. The Cowboys now have $27.1m in cap space. Still waiting for full details on Gerald McCoy.

The only thing I seen it will probably be a 3yr deal around 20 mil but not sure the structure

I look at it even 6.8 mil a year really not bad at all

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I've heard it takes around 5 to 10 mil to get your rookies signed

ksg811

Reaction score
The only thing I seen it will probably be a 3yr deal around 20 mil but not sure the structure

I look at it even 6.8 mil a year really not bad at all

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I've heard it takes around 5 to 10 mil to get your rookies signed

Rookie pool will only be 2.5-3 million dollars due to the rule of 51.

garyv

Reaction score
The contract numbers on McCoy (hat-tip Aaron Wilson): three years, $18.3 million, with $9 mil guaranteed. There’s a $3 mil signing bonus, and there is a total of $3 mil annually available in roster- and playing-time bonuses.

The Cowboys were very happy with the numbers

ksg811

Reaction score
Gerald McCoy's cap number for 2020 is $4.35m dollars, broken out as $1m of his $3m prorated bonus, $2.5m base salary, $100k workout bomus and $750k in per game roster bonuses, all of which are likely to be earned since he played in all 16 games last season. The contract also includes $750k in other incentives, which I did not include as the Cowboys typically make these incentives 1 over last year's numbers to be considered NLTBE.

Cowboys cap space is now at $22.7m.

Wood

Reaction score
The contract numbers on McCoy (hat-tip Aaron Wilson): three years, $18.3 million, with $9 mil guaranteed. There’s a $3 mil signing bonus, and there is a total of $3 mil annually available in roster- and playing-time bonuses.

The Cowboys were very happy with the numbers

9 mill spread over two years essentially 4.5 mill year for starting DT is good value. Need similar deals for RDE, S & CB and maybe another DT like AShawn Robinson.

garyv

Reaction score
Gerald McCoy's cap number for 2020 is $4.35m dollars, broken out as $1m of his $3m prorated bonus, $2.5m base salary, $100k workout bomus and $750k in per game roster bonuses, all of which are likely to be earned since he played in all 16 games last season. The contract also includes $750k in other incentives, which I did not include as the Cowboys typically make these incentives 1 over last year's numbers to be considered NLTBE.

Cowboys cap space is now at $22.7m.

Thanks for posting. I still see a lot of solid free agents available my favorite right now would be Emmanuel Sanders WR to take over for Cobb

garyv

Reaction score
9 mill spread over two years essentially 4.5 mill year for starting DT is good value. Need similar deals for RDE, S & CB and maybe another DT like AShawn Robinson.

I see a lot going on that might have McCarthy's input on so he might be getting to make some of his own decisions