Cowboys State of the Cap

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Just looked at 3/18/202 at 3PM CST.
Showing Cowboys at 21,501,000 over.

This includes the TAG $$$ on DAK - and that may go down a little.

But... It's still showing Cam Fleming at $5,187,000.
So the over the cap is not completely up to date.

ksg811

Reaction score
First order of business, I have made an adjustment to Dak Prescott's salary. Because his exclusive tag is based on current year salaries, his tag amount is fluid and doesn't lock until the end of the restricted free agent signing period, which is April 17th. Due to movement in the top 5, namely Kirk Cousins's extension, he has dropped out of the calculation and replaced with Matt Ryan. This drops Dak's tag to roughly $30.25m, giving Dallas in additional $1.25m in cap space.

I've also made a couple minor corrections as new details emerged so the Cowboys start the day with $24.65m in cap space.

Details for Joe Looney and Maurice Canady have emerged.

Looney signed a straightforward 1 year $2.475m deal, with $1m gtd, with $137,500 bonus and $2.3m in salary, with the entirety of the deal hitting the cap.

Canady signed a 1 year deal worth a max of $1.5m. Only his $200k bonus is guaranteed with a $900k salary, $100k in per game roster bonuses and an additional $250k in incentives. His cap hit is $1,231,250, which is comprised of his bonus, salary, and $81,250 in per game bonuses (13/16).

Accounting for the rule of 51, these 2 deals will add $2.46m to the cap. The Cowboys now have $22.19m in cap space.

Creeper

Reaction score
First order of business, I have made an adjustment to Dak Prescott's salary. Because his exclusive tag is based on current year salaries, his tag amount is fluid and doesn't lock until the end of the restricted free agent signing period, which is April 17th. Due to movement in the top 5, namely Kirk Cousins's extension, he has dropped out of the calculation and replaced with Matt Ryan. This drops Dak's tag to roughly $30.25m, giving Dallas in additional $1.25m in cap space.

I've also made a couple minor corrections as new details emerged so the Cowboys start the day with $24.65m in cap space.

Details for Joe Looney and Maurice Canady have emerged.

Looney signed a straightforward 1 year $2.475m deal, with $1m gtd, with $137,500 bonus and $2.3m in salary, with the entirety of the deal hitting the cap.

Canady signed a 1 year deal worth a max of $1.5m. Only his $200k bonus is guaranteed with a $900k salary, $100k in per game roster bonuses and an additional $250k in incentives. His cap hit is $1,231,250, which is comprised of his bonus, salary, and $81,250 in per game bonuses (13/16).

Accounting for the rule of 51, these 2 deals will add $2.46m to the cap. The Cowboys now have $22.19m in cap space.

I think this is pretty accurate assuming there are no more restructures or cuts. I am surprised they haven't restructured Crawford yet, but there is no rush to do that. Getting Dak signed would free up some room too.

ksg811

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have designated Joe Looney one of their 4 year Qualified Veteran Salary Benefit Players. This allows them to exclude $1.25m of his $2.3m salary from the salary cap. The Cowboys now have $23.44m in cap space.

Sean Lee and Anthony Brown both also qualify for the VSB. Each team gets 2 designations, so look for one of them to also be designated for an additional $1.25m in cap savings.

Last edited:

ksg811

Reaction score
Justin MArch has signed a 1 year $1,047,500 veteran salary benefit contract. He will receive his full minimum salary of $910k, but only $750k (the minimum salary of a 2 year player) will count against the cap. Along with the maximum $137,500 signing bonus leaves a cap hit of $887,500. Accounting for the rule of 51, there is a net cap charge of $277,500. The Cowboys now have $23.16m.

Note: I have made no cap adjustments for the retirement of Travis Frederick. Because no paperwork has been filed with the NFL, he is still a rostered player, and thus counts against the cap. We would also need his official retirement date to determine which accounting method to use for his dead money.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
sO wE cAn SiGn WhOeVeR wE wANt To
True but the upcoming year is not the push. Its more about MM getting his sea legs and even what this league year will even look like with the virus about. When you push the restructures it should be in a "All In" year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
True but the upcoming year is not the push. Its more about MM getting his sea legs and even what this league year will even look like with the virus about. When you push the restructures it should be in a "All In" year.
What does the Poe signing do to our cap?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
sorry Red, not the cap guy. I just know when you start restructuring a bunch of contracts you will be restricted at some point in the near future. So, I would wait until the run was on...
Otay.

No prob.

It will be quiet now until the draft.
Thanx.

stuckindc

Reaction score
gives us more flex in the draft for BPA...no reaching...now if one of the top WR's, CB's, S..we can grab and go...no Taco's or HIll's...

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
gives us more flex in the draft for BPA...no reaching...now if one of the top WR's, CB's, S..we can grab and go...no Taco's or HIll's...
I just do not see McCarthy and his staff drafting clunkers like Taco or Hill.

And with these DL signings...

Hill needs to shake his booty or he will get cut.

The way the Cowboys acted before all the firings..

drafting such projects who had little hope of helping the team..

you would have thought Garrett had been given a 10 year extension.

Not a win or else ultimatum.

Weird.

Just no urgency and no fear.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I just do not see McCarthy and his staff drafting clunkers like Taco or Hill.

And with these DL signings...

Hill needs to shake his booty or he will get cut.

The way the Cowboys acted before all the firings..

drafting such projects who had little hope of helping the team..

you would have thought Garrett had been given a 10 year extension.

Not a win or else ultimatum.

Weird.

Just no urgency and no fear.
Sometimes I just sit in the room with my boss and choose not to speak. Not because I don't want him to know how I feel, but just because he knows how I feel and he is not changing his mind. Not a big deal to me because I get to choose to work there or not and he does not have to feel the way I do. He makes the decisions and I have to live or not live with it.

Garrett was in that position....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes I just sit in the room with my boss and choose not to speak. Not because I don't want him to know how I feel, but just because he knows how I feel and he is not changing his mind. Not a big deal to me because I get to choose to work there or not and he does not have to feel the way I do. He makes the decisions and I have to live or not live with it.

Garrett was in that position....
Yeah..

But you know..I never got the idea Garrett had any backbone about what he was seeing.

And when Jerrah and Garrett announced last year that Moore was going to be OC..

if I was Garrett I would have said..

"Hey..if my job is on the line here..I want to call my own plays and sink or swim doing it."

But apparently that never came to that and Moore struggled alot and we lost games alot and Garrett was fired.

Sometimes it's better to just say what you think and just go into business for yourself rather put up with the issues..no?

:angry:

stuckindc

Reaction score
Yeah..

But you know..I never got the idea Garrett had any backbone about what he was seeing.

And when Jerrah and Garrett announced last year that Moore was going to be OC..

if I was Garrett I would have said..

"Hey..if my job is on the line here..I want to call my own plays and sink or swim doing it."

But apparently that never came to that and Moore struggled alot and we lost games alot and Garrett was fired.

Sometimes it's better to just say what you think and just go into business for yourself rather put up with the issues..no?

:angry:
its all moot now...on to a real coach...real staff...real opportunity to win when it matters most..not in spite of our so called coaching staff....

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
So with negotiations intensifying with Dak, where are all those people who said that the Cowboys wouldn’t be able to sign Cooper, Dak and Zeke? They’re about to have them all signed (they do now, if you count the franchise tag) AND they are $21M under the cap. I’d guess that Crawford won’t make the team either, there’s another $8M in savings.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
So with negotiations intensifying with Dak, where are all those people who said that the Cowboys wouldn’t be able to sign Cooper, Dak and Zeke? They’re about to have them all signed (they do now, if you count the franchise tag) AND they are $21M under the cap. I’d guess that Crawford won’t make the team either, there’s another $8M in savings.
Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones better come out with a top 5 defense between free agency and the draft with $21M in cap space.