Cowboys talk to Gabe Watson

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Coach Parcells is close with Lloyd Carr.

I am sure we will get the inside knowledge on this player.

I also heard the other day we were looking at the Michigan DC Hermann to possibly take over Gibbs spot as LB coach. He would definitely have insight about Watson.

I think he'd be a good selection in the 2nd round, but, I'm doubt he'd be there when we pick. But there's no way I would take him 18th.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:hammer:

except for the Holmes part

I just think he'd be hard to pass up if he's still around and the top OT's are gone. We need to get some help on the offense sooner or later.

ddh33

Reaction score
I don't think Dallas will spend that much on another NT. I do expect another one to be brought in, but I would think that would be a player who would come in no earlier than the middle rounds. I think Thomas Johnson has got a shot to contribute too.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
How to build a 3-4 Dline

#1 Seymour
#1 Warren
#1 Wilfork

#1 Spears
#1 Canty
#1 NT - Watson or Ngata!!!!!!!!

Groundhog day at the Arctic circle today? Tundra thaw? Who do you take at #18 - what position? Just watched the History channel - you are facing a new little Ice age. Glaciars on the move and deserts SW US face rising Sand Tsunami threats. Creepy stuff

What is this? Canty wasn't drafted in the first round. :lmao2:

Try this:
#1 - Spears
#4 - Canty
#7 - Ferguson

In your inevitable quest to make the Cowboys become the patriots, you missed some facts in your argument....or whatever that is.

Yes, I know the pats used two first round picks on TEs so Dallas should too. The pats run the 3-4 so Dallas needs to eliminate any remnants of the 4-3 even if they are still productive players that can help the team. Its more important to be like the pats than win games!

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
We need linebackers far more than another NT at this point.

Shanle sucked... Fowler? Not much better. Fujita? Backup material.

We need both..I would not mind a LB or FS for the #1 pick but would not be upset with a huge DT..our defense is close to being dominant.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I really hope we didn't drop $10MM on Ferguson last year only to use our first round pick the very following year to upgrade his exact same position. That would be almost like drafting a corner to play Henry's spot the year after giving him a ton of money... Yet no one advocates doing that.

People hate to hear it, but in the salary cap era you do draft at least somewhat for need. If we really need a NT already, the Fergy contract was a huge, huge mistake.

And even if it does turn out to be a mistake, surely we'll let this year play out before we decide that.

I wouldn't necessarily say that we *need a NT* but Fergy is old and Glover is too old and expensive and not really suited for the role anyway.

But to answer your question, giving Fergy the big bonus was a mistake - he just isn't that good and we would have been fine playing a 4-3 for one more year. We probably would have been better, actually.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I wouldn't necessarily say that we *need a NT* but Fergy is old and Glover is too old and expensive and not really suited for the role anyway.

But to answer your question, giving Fergy the big bonus was a mistake - he just isn't that good and we would have been fine playing a 4-3 for one more year. We probably would have been better, actually.

You do realize our D played better, caused more sacks/To's, was appreciably younger and bigger. Just to level set your woulda/coulda conjecture.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I think we should trade down anyway.

Watson with an extra 3rd pick sounds much better to me.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
I think we should trade down anyway.

Watson with an extra 3rd pick sounds much better to me.

I already have 4-5 guys targeted that could be impact for us and we can still get in a trade down and add a pick....

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
You do realize our D played better, caused more sacks/To's, was appreciably younger and bigger. Just to level set your woulda/coulda conjecture.

:lmao2:

Yes, 4 more sacks and 2 more INTs. Its incredible what ~20 million in free agent signing bonuses, 2 first round picks, a second round pick and new defensive scheme will do.

Younger and bigger didn't help down the stretch when teams were running roughshod over the defense.

But, boy was that 3-4 aggressive and confusing. Sure glad the team wasted away two of their better players this year.

lkelly

Reaction score
If Watson can't get motivated as a senior with his draft stock on the line, what makes you think that he will be motivated once he's cashed a multi-million dollar bonus check? Michigan's defense struggled at times and they benched Watson. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a first round pick. Eh, scratch that. Make that a second day pick.

Just because you're a "big" guy, doesn't mean you can play NT in the NFL. Right now, that's the best thing Watson has going for him. Big.

If Dallas continues to draft the DL, it's going to be fun to watch an offense with a mediocre line (whose best players are the oldest), aging QB, aged WRs, and no coordinator. We can aspire to be the Bears and try to win games 13-6. Then get blown out of the playoffs. Super!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
At least a 50/50 chance that happens.

I'm hoping for that. My dream draft would be trading down into the top of the second for a #1 next year from a bad team similar the Jones deal (Det?) and grabbing Abdul Hodge to play ILB, taking Alan Zemaitis with Dallas' pick (he's dropping like a rock due to lack of fluidity in his hips and skipped the Sr. Bowl, but he's a playmaker and big enough to play FS) and then Stovall in the third.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:
:lmao2:

Yes, 4 more sacks and 2 more INTs. Its incredible what ~20 million in free agent signing bonuses, 2 first round picks, a second round pick and new defensive scheme will do.

Younger and bigger didn't help down the stretch when teams were running roughshod over the defense.

But, boy was that 3-4 aggressive and confusing. Sure glad the team wasted away two of their better players this year.

Don't confuse my buddy Nors with facts!

He's still waiting for the 2005 season to turn out to be "special".

It was "special" all right... "short bus" special.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Duane said:
Do we really spend a 1st round pick on a guy that's not going to start in 2006 or maybe the year after? I don't think so.

Several of the FS, OTs and LBs available will be of equal or better value at #18 and will start form day one.

It took Spears drafted at #20 till late in his Rookie season to start. Look at our Dline rotation in 1990's. Heck Lett was a backup for a long time but still an impact player.

Watson/Ngata would be anchor 3-4 NT's. That would cement our front 3 for a decade. Nothing wrong with that! And a young NT makes Canty, Spears better..... Which makes Ware BETTER ON DOWN THE FOOD CHAIN!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Miki what a clueless statement. We took a 6-10 team and went appreciably bigger, younger and better on defense. Installed the 3-4 that you said NEVER would happen. Remember that first and last 3-4 post? I sure do.....

We scored more points with no running game and horrid Oline. Went from 6-10 to 9-7 and only eliminated 7:00 last Sunday of season. Yes - that sucked? Do you watch the games? Very entertaining season. We pounded Eagles early and took it to Denver, Carolina and Seattle. Hello?

That short bus was in your driveway with Losman driving it. Spray painted message. We were 5-11 because of Holcomb! Don't blame me for those wins! Go back to your milky black ice sauna in the outhouse. Another special season for your Bills!

Dallas a team on the rise. Book it in the tundra

Rush 2112

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Here's a fact:

2004: #27 scoring D.

2005: #12 scoring D.

That's with 5 LB's on IR and a RCB hobbled or out more than half the year.

If those are the results we get with a bigger/younger D and wasting 2 of our better players please sign me up.

Rookies, new scheme, new scheme for DC, all those injuries and we jump a mere 15 spots.

Please, come on.

How can anyone argue with those results?

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think the initial question was whether Ferguson was worth the money - I don't think so. He is a 31 year old NT who got a $10M SB who did not dominate the center of the LOS like a Jamal Williams. He is a role player who did not start for half of the season and only plays about half of the defensive snaps. In the nickel, he generates absolutely no pass rush when he is in there.

I don't begrudge Parcells instituting his 3-4 defense this year after the debacle of 2004. I'm not going to argue this defense was better than the one in 2004 either. I am far from convinced that this team wouldn't have performed equally as well with the new additions if the base defense was a 4-3.

Now we have to deal with the headache of nursing Fergy through a few more years and are already trying to scope out his replacement in FA. When you just spent $10M on a guy, that means something probably didn't go as expected.

Cowboys would be nuts to draft Watson in the first round. I really wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round - the NT position in the NFL is one where you can't take any plays off. If Ngata begins to slide down to the teens, I would not have any qualms about trading up for him - a player like that who can truly stand up two blockers consistently is as big a difference maker in a 3-4 defense as a pass rushing OLB.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Steve Paris looked really good in the Hula Bowl from Iowa St. This is a guy the Cowboys should draft for safety. He had an impressive int. & good size. He is from Dallas which would be a plus.