Cowboys talking to former Seahawks DC Kris Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Amen to that, it's been said JG has Ben spending most or more time on the defensive side, Guess what, that side improved, I don't hear Garrett getting any credit for that, but he gets all the blame on an offense that isn't as bad as they make it seem.

Well, he sort of stepped aside in 2013 as OC. Linehan took that responsibility. My thing is HC's are responsible for hiring the coaches under them and then trusting them to do their job. None are perfect at it. It would take a huge amount of trust and a small ego to let others do their job better than I do

Dre11

Reaction score
Well, he sort of stepped aside in 2013 as OC. Linehan took that responsibility. My thing is HC's are responsible for hiring the coaches under them and then trusting them to do their job. None are perfect at it. It would take a huge amount of trust and a small ego to let others do their job better than I do

Agree, it's exactly what Jimmy did. He let Norv and Dave do their thing.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Stephen Jones said today several of the coaches should be done this week to ten days.

A few in the next few days.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Agree, it's exactly what Jimmy did. He let Norv and Dave do their thing.

Yes probably true. I know when they left and Jimmy left the team wasn't the same. Troy was a Norv guy. It's strange that neither Norv, Dave or Jimmy ever achieved the same level of success. I guess it's at least partly talent

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good things happen when you put top drawer talent together with top drawer coaching. Personally I don't think we have either but i may be underestimating one, the other or both. Maybe top drawer coaching makes our average talent better or maybe top drawer talent makes our coaching better.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Very good pedigree. Defense dropped off in 2017 but they had a bunch of injuries. Very strange that Carroll let him go. Top 5 defense his first 2 years. 38 years old. Been with Carroll since 2008. Something does not add up. He would be a nice upgrade but Rod seems to be going no where. Not sure where he fits if not DC. To me much more important to focus on the offense which was a steamy pile under Linehan 2 of the last 3 years. The strange off season continues. Would love to have Richards jump aboard.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Very good pedigree. Defense dropped off in 2017 but they had a bunch of injuries. Very strange that Carroll let him go. Top 5 defense his first 2 years. 38 years old. Been with Carroll since 2008. Something does not add up. He would be a nice upgrade but Rod seems to be going no where. Not sure where he fits if not DC. To me much more important to focus on the offense which was a steamy pile under Linehan 2 of the last 3 years. The strange off season continues. Would love to have Richards jump aboard.

Rod will retire after his extension is up in 2018. Bet on it. Bring the dude in, groom him for a year. Rod retires, bingo new DC. That's where Eberflus was headed

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I said that after 2013. The "he's done" thing. The O-line was pretty much re-done. Romo had one of the best years of his career, improving big time on his TD/interception ratio and we still went 8-8. Then we did what? Took the OC responsibilities away from Garrett, handed game calling to Linehan as defacto OC. So it was, ok 12-4 in 2014 and a play off win. I still wanted to can his arse in 2014 but NO!!! New five year contract!! Don't get me wrong, I never liked Garretts game management as OC. His clock management and last game decisions cost a a few games. I like him somewhat more as a "walk around coach". He causes less damage that way. Do I think we'll win a SB with JG as HC, there certainly isn't anything that would lead me to think that way. Are we stuck with him through 2018, yes and there is everything to make me think that way
He’s not coming back without a playoff win next year and prob a little more than that. I don’t see it. And isn’t next year the last on his contract?

Otto65

Reaction score
Yes Kris Richard we will hire you as DC as long as you tell reporters that Garrett is the best head coach you ever coached under.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Kris Richard To The Cowboys?
profootballrumors.com

January 22nd, 2018 at 4:33pm CST by Greg Goldstein
The Seahawks moved on from former defensive coordinator Kris Richard after the team agreed to terms with former Raiders defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. However, the 38-year-old coach may be on his way to Dallas after discussing a potential role with the team on Sunday, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (Twitter link).

Richard coming to the Cowboys could be a major addition given the success he had in Seattle during his three-year tenure leading one of the best defenses in football. Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinellidoesn’t appear to be losing his job to Richard, instead he could just add another coach to help continue to build Dallas’ defense next season.

Under Richard’s guidance, the Seahawks finished in the top five in total defense in 2015 and 2016, but dropped to number 11 this past year. However, Seattle did lose key starters in Kam Chancellor, Cliff Avril and Richard Sherman. The Cowboys ranked as a top ten defense in 2017, but could always use more experienced voices in the locker room.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Richard is the one real upgrade we have considered so far, which probably means it won't happen.

Instead, we will hire guys fired from losing organizations or who were out of football completely last year.

If I was Dave Campo, Bruce Coslet, and Chan Gailey I would be tightening up my resume.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Richard is the one real upgrade we have considered so far, which probably means it won't happen.

Instead, we will hire guys fired from losing organizations or who were out of football completely last year.

If I was Dave Campo, Bruce Coslet, and Chan Gailey I would be tightening up my resume.
Where I may disagree is this. Letting Derek Dooley hit the open market was addition by subtraction. Wasn't a fan of his. He really didnt seem to help our wideouts develop much. On the flip side..the new hire of Sanjay Lal is an improvement right away. He is a proven wideout coach at the pro level and has actually helped players get better. GOOD HIRE. The new oline coach might prove to be sneaky good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.