Signed by Cowboys Cowboys to hire Skip Peete as New RB Coach

quickccc

Reaction score
We need an ex HC as every single position coach, preferably one with a SB win on his resume.

I'm not even sure why that's necessarily a good thing, but that's what people seem to expect.

Really, what kind of difference would a RB coach make anyway in this particular case.

Personally I'll take anyone willing to tell 21 that he needs to get into shape, but none of us have a clue whether Peete is that guy or not, or if that would ever matter.

I disagree with this. (needing ex-HCs) That's a chance of too many chiefs and not enough soldiers.
I like having solidified vet coaches with well regarded coaching resumes and credentials.
-Tomsula has a good rep as an DL coach.
-Ditto Nolan as a DC. reputable.
-Peete: solid resume as a RB coach.
- WR coach ?

-Packers have had a good rep as past pass blocking OL units and they develop eventual pro bowlers.
-Fassel is well known as a top special teams coach I'm still surprised we able to get him
- Its the Linquist as new secondary coach and straight (the college ranks to NFL) with zero NFL coaching experience is the only one I have concerns about.

- I just dunno anything about the LB coaches.
- and the strength coaches being replaced. I'm still stunned at that one, as Woicik widely and long known and very well regarded as very top of his profession.
(wonder if its about personal preference or philosophical differences behind the scenes)

Oneiros

Reaction score
I would have preferred that we had gone in a different direction but if it's a new voice from what we had with Brown then I welcome it.

Hopefully he won't try to come across as a friend or fan with Zeke and help get him back on the right track.

My hope is that since we missed out on Drayton that he actually goes back to UT rather than seeing the Rams sign him in the 11th hour.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Meh....not sure how much of an improvement this is over GB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This is a good hire. Peete was good here before.
Zeke was coached for 4 years by Gary Brown....there's a relationship, but what more can he learn?
Now he has a new coach with perhaps some new techniques or practices that can make him better.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Not a big deal IMO.

Zeke doesn't need coaching up, or a position coach that's tougher on him. His issues are A. he plays too heavy (may have been a Garrett decision, may be a Zeke thing and Garrett and Jerry just don't tell him no, either way it's not the RB coach's call to make) and B. his effort and focus tends to come and go (100% Zeke thing). When he is dialed in, his technique for running and blocking is actually really good.

Pollard made several fixable mistakes this year, but it's less of a technique thing and more of a "needs experience and game reps" thing. He'll be fine.

Either way, I don't think any position coach we could've hired will make a real difference. Maybe Drayton could have got in Zeke's ear, but I don't know if Zeke has that kind of a relationship with a position coach he hasn't worked with in five years.

John813

Reaction score
Gurley urged the Rams to keep Peete in 2017 when the new regime came in, but three seasons later, Peete is out. It was a shocking move by the Rams, to say the least, given Peete’s success in Los Angeles.

Gurley was the Offensive Player of the Year and a first-team All-Pro in 2017, and an All-Pro again the following season. But now that the Rams moved to a more pass-heavy offense with the running backs featured less, Peete is to blame?

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/07/nfl-rams-skip-peete-running-backs-fired/

2013:

“We have to do a better job running the football,” Garrett said. “DeMarco Murray was out for a large portion of this season, but having said that, you have to put the next guy in there and you have to be effective running it.

“It just helps your football team. It helps your offensive line, it helps your quarterback, it helps your defense. That’s something that we’ve tried to do and we weren’t as effective as we needed to be. We have to make a commitment to being better next year.”

It looks like Garrett’s frustration has led to a coaching change.

https://fansided.com/2013/01/07/dallas-cowboys-fire-running-backs-coach-skip-peete/

FYI Jones was the backup/otherback in 2012 along with Phillip Tanner

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
So...the Cowboys new RB coach is the Cowboys old RB coach that they let go.

Are we going to bring Dave Campo back to coach DBs again while we’re at it?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He has been working gurley as well so now he’ll have zeke on a whole new coaching staff. Let’s see what he can do

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
There's the end of Zeke pulling himself out for breathers. :laugh:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I disagree with this. (needing ex-HCs) That's a chance of too many chiefs and not enough soldiers.
I like having solidified vet coaches with well regarded coaching resumes and credentials.
-Tomsula has a good rep as an DL coach.
-Ditto Nolan as a DC. reputable.
-Peete: solid resume as a RB coach.
- WR coach ?

-Packers have had a good rep as past pass blocking OL units and they develop eventual pro bowlers.
-Fassel is well known as a top special teams coach I'm still surprised we able to get him
- Its the Linquist as new secondary coach and straight (the college ranks to NFL) with zero NFL coaching experience is the only one I have concerns about.

- I just dunno anything about the LB coaches.
- and the strength coaches being replaced. I'm still stunned at that one, as Woicik widely and long known and very well regarded as very top of his profession.
(wonder if its about personal preference or philosophical differences behind the scenes)

I'm fine with it.

Let McCarthy do what he wants and if it doesn't work then find the next guy.

Don't spend 4 or 5 years of processing.

Win or leave. He's bringing in guys he wants. No excuses.