News: Cowboys To Open Thursday At Super Bowl Champ Bucs?

Gaede

Reaction score
Would love this because we get to watch out first game early.

We'll probably lose in embarrassing fashion but it at least makes the work week a little.more interesting.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something to think about. The opening TNF game will draw high ratings no matter what. The NFL is not concerned over that.
Also opening weekend, FOX will want their high ratings draw also. And to get that, they will want a Cowboys games. And it will be against a NFCE team most likely. I do not think they will have that on the SNF game, but you never know.

basel90

Reaction score
Dallas should be able to be competitive against the bucs . It will be an early good test for the defense and the offense. A win would be great and will change a lot of perception about the cowboys . Dak will show how ready he is. Could be a special game .
But if it is an ugly loss , due to bad offensive output but stout defense, mike McCarthy will be feeling the hot seat .

MikeB80

Reaction score
Dallas seems like a really odd choice. There is nothing in history between Dallas and Tampa or Tom Brady and Dallas.

buzz would be them opening with Green Bay after the rodgers stuff or New Orleans after brees retired.

Buffalo also is a great game but has no ties or history with Tampa. Obviously they do with Brady.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Looking at TBs schedule, there is no doubt that the two "sexiest" possibilities are buf and Dal. Nothing else is really all that intriguing. I could definitely see tb opening against dal

It's way a way better game to open with Buffalo at Tampa.
The only reason they want Tampa to open with the Cowboys is because of our huge fan base and the ratings it brings. It's definitely not because the Cowboys are a top knotch team after last seasons performance.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If It makes you feel any better they only play 4 teams after that who are above average. Really easy schedule. Easiest one since 2016. For sure. Dallas might have a good season hopefully.
Thanks. I'll take all the optimism I can get.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No, we have seen him face top defenses........ that is why I was hoping something would change
Hopefully, we'll have him for two games against the WFT (4th ranked defense), the Saints (5th ranked defense), the Patriots (the 7th ranked defense), the Giants (the 8th ranked defense), the Bucs (the 9th ranked defense) and the Chiefs (the 10th ranked defense).
Then, we'll learn more about Dak's ability to "best" stronger defenses.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's an ok defense and defenses like that don't necessarily carry over from year to year.

I'm a lot more worried about Brady throwing for 400 yards and 4 TD's.

I think you meant 500 yards and 5 TDs. Our defense has a LOT of work to do to get ready for that bunch.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We opened on the road last year. In the time I have been going to Cowboys home openers, I cant ever remember us having back to back seasons on the road.

I'm pretty sure we opened at the Jets in 2011 and then at the Giants in 2012. In fact I just looked it up.. The Cowboys opened with their first TWO games on the road in both those years.. Jet/Niners in 2011 then Giants/Seahawks in 2012. Goodell never misses an opportunity to screw the Cowboys..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys have 16 games who and when we play does not matter to me. Should Dallas face Tampa Bay opening weekend then great, we have to play them this season so may as well be early on. It is a heck of a challenge and I look forward to it if it happens on opening weekend

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We've seen Dak take advantage of a great defense?

We've seen him hang 44 on the Rams defense in 2019.. and 30 on them in 2017.. Most consider the Rams to be a pretty good defense. Even in the year they went to the Super Bowl Dak was able to put up 22 on them in the playoffs. That was 9 more than Brady was able to muster against them in the Super Bowl. He also hung 37 on the Eagles defense in 2019.. but the Eagles were only a good defense when they stopped the Cowboys with Dak injured.. The day Dak strafed them for 37 they were using somebody else's defense.. So yeah.. I think we can say we've seen Dak do thangs against great defenses.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I don't see any other matchup the NFL would want.

As a Dallas fan I don't want to play them on that day.
Steel sharpens Steel. Lets play ball! Better early in the season rather than later. Win or lose to the Bucs either way we will learn something about this football team going forward. Bring em on!

Aven8

Reaction score
Will be a good time to have our Oline nice and fresh and healthy. Tyron will own JPP just like the old days.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Cowboys have 16 games who and when we play does not matter to me. Should Dallas face Tampa Bay opening weekend then great, we have to play them this season so may as well be early on. It is a heck of a challenge and I look forward to it if it happens on opening weekend

While I share your general feeling about not much caring who we play.. I do think WHEN we play matters.. The Cowboys are a Southern, Warm Weather dome team.. When they play on the road in bitter cold, snow and freezing rain they are at a disadvantage. I know both teams play in the elements but let's try to deal with reality. The weather matters.. Period. If you train in Miami you can't simulate January in Boston. And if you train in Boston you can't simulate the heat and humidity in Florida. That's why teams work like hell to get HFA for the playoffs. Because it forces the opponent to toil in an environment to which they are less adapted. To that point, playing an opening day game in Florida in September is the last thing you wanna do if you're not a Florida team. That heat and humidity will destroy you. Why do you think the Dolphins, even at their worst, were generally a tough out for New England at home? Haven't the Dolphins beaten the Pats like 3 of the last 4 in Miami? Seriously.. what other team has that kind of ownage on Belichick in any venue?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We'll find out tomorrow when the schedule is officially released. As of right now, it's not official. The Bills could get that opening Thursday night game at the Bucs. We'll just have to wait until then to see.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While I share your general feeling about not much caring who we play.. I do think WHEN we play matters.. The Cowboys are a Southern, Warm Weather dome team.. When they play on the road in bitter cold, snow and freezing rain they are at a disadvantage. I know both teams play in the elements but let's try to deal with reality. The weather matters.. Period. If you train in Miami you can't simulate January in Boston. And if you train in Boston you can't simulate the heat and humidity in Florida. That's why teams work like hell to get HFA for the playoffs. Because it forces the opponent to toil in an environment to which they are less adapted. To that point, playing an opening day game in Florida in September is the last thing you wanna do if you're not a Florida team. That heat and humidity will destroy you. Why do you think the Dolphins, even at their worst, were generally a tough out for New England at home? Haven't the Dolphins beaten the Pats like 3 of the last 4 in Miami? Seriously.. what other team has that kind of ownage on Belichick in any venue?

Dallas has to go out and prove themselves as a good team and as Jimmy once said good teams can win game anywhere. Yes late game in NE the chance of poor weather is likely but it is part of the game, Cowboys are no strangers to late games vs NFC East teams like NY, Philly and Washington that have been crappy weather. All I can say is the schedule is what it is and if this team is to take the next step they will have to contend with it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Steel sharpens Steel. Lets play ball! Better early in the season rather than later. Win or lose to the Bucs either way we will learn something about this football team going forward. Bring em on!
Or a knife thru butter - last year we were butter!