News: Cowboys to visit with DE Cedric Thornton

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys to visit with DE Cedric Thornton

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...s-later-cowboys-talk-look-at-matt-moore-again

IRVING, Texas – After starting the last 45 games in which he has played for the Philadelphia Eagles, the Dallas Cowboys will meet with free-agent defensive end Cedric Thornton on Thursday, a source confirmed.

Thornton has recorded four sacks in his first four seasons and two of those sacks have come against the Cowboys. At 6-foot-6 and 299 pounds, he could play defensive end or defensive tackle in the Cowboys’ 4-3 scheme. The Cowboys covet position flexibility for their defensive linemen, which would be another plus for Thornton, who has interest from several other teams.

The Cowboys are looking to add to their defensive line in free agency but not at the top-end of the free agent market. Over the last few years they were able to add players such as Jeremy Mincey, Jack Crawford and George Selvie and have them succeed expectations.

Mincey, who led the Cowboys in sacks in 2014 with six, and Crawford, who had four sacks last year, are free agents as well...

Ken

Reaction score
Dumpster diving! This will no doubt = Championship!

Carson

Reaction score
At this point, it's a great pick up.

You'd go ...

Lawrence - Thornton - Crawford - Gregory.

Irving, Russell on the bench. Still add a guy possibly like Hardy. Not elite, but anything is an improvement over Hayden.

lostar2009

Reaction score

You'd go ...

Irving, Russell on the bench. Still add a guy possibly like Hardy. Not elite, but anything is an improvement over Hayden.

Forgot Gregory is out 4 games and haven't done anything in the NFL. We need another stud here. If I'm JJ I'm brining Hatcher back.

John813

Reaction score
Has to be better than Hayden.

Not sure why everyone flips out after the first day of Free Agency. This isn't a surprise that the team is going for value FAs.

Still might sign a couple FAs to some decent deals. Just not in rush to get into bid wars

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Forgot Gregory is out 4 games and haven't done anything in the NFL. We need another stud here. If I'm JJ I'm brining Hatcher back.

Glad you're not running the team. The key to our defensive line help is a 33 year old who had 2 sacks last year. Get it done JJ!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You'd go ...

2 down run stuffers are never exciting, but Thornton would be a big upgrade where we really need it

erod

Reaction score
I tire of the constant dogpiling on Hayden. He's a decent player who just plays too many snaps because he's the only DT on the team that plays hurt.

erod

Reaction score
He's every bit as effective as was a trash can full of dirt...

That's largely what a nose tackle is supposed to be.

He tires out and becomes ineffective because he just plays way too many snaps. The other guys are either always hurt or don't give effort.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's largely what a nose tackle is supposed to be.

He tires out and becomes ineffective because he just plays way too many snaps. The other guys are either always hurt or don't give effort.

Back when, Dallas had a 'rook' defensive tackle that was named 'a trash can full of dirt.'

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Has he not played as a 3-4 DE his whole career ?
While I do believe it would be an upgrade over Hayden. My fear would be that if he is signed to play the 1, will Dallas feel they have covered themselves. And then skip another draft at a extremely deep position - (DT), just like last year at RB.
We have so many needs, that some positions will have to be passed over. Will 2 years running, we skip the stacked position, because they are forced to ?