Cowboys top cash spending team in 2021

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
so show the numbers every year from say 2012 to 2022.
A ten year trend is telling
cherry picking ONE year MEANS NOTHING
Not my thread, but you're welcome to do the research if you like. I was just answering the question. Based on the contracts that they've signed though, it would be hard to imagine they'd be out of the top ten over that time frame. Just because they haven't been big spenders in FA doesn't mean they haven't given out some serious cash.

Carr
Romo
Bryant
Lawrence
Frederick
Elliott
Martin
Prescott
Smith
Cooper
Steele
Diggs

Just off the top of my head.

Most of which set the market for their positions, or close to it. That's one big contract a year on average, supplemented by lower tier free agents and the draft. I dont necessarily agree with the philosophy, but that's how the front office works.

You want to know why they aren't pushing cash forward now? Lamb, Parsons, Smith, and possibly Prescott. They're taking a hit this year preparing for the long haul with these guys. You can't go into the new league year every season, or just about, and be forced to restructure multiple contracts to get under the cap without having spent that money already.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Check your calendar. Were in 2024
Exactly............its like somebody telling you "on this day 3 years ago it snowed 5 inches".

Well, its currently 90 degrees outside today, but thanks for the useless information.:thumbup:

Motorola

Reaction score
This is directly from Spotrac, not from a blogger quoting some media person...

Top spending teams in 2021:

Cash Spenders
1. Cowboys, $262M
2. Buccaneers, $245M
3. Patriots, $241M

Cap Spenders
1. Cowboys, $201M
2. Patriots, $197M
3. Browns, $197M

Note; I'm contemplating getting the paid version of Spotrac which would give me the exact cash spend numbers for each season going back to 2011.

2021? Why does that matter?
It matters because there was a conversation implying that Dallas is cheap and hasn't spent money in a decade.
What have the Cowboys spent so far in the 2024 offseason?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The most confusing part about the whole "Cowboys are cheap and won't spend" argument is how they are able to be cheap while having spent the entire salary cap allowance. The reason they can't spend more money is because they have spent all the money. Thus they are cheap. Quite the logic.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It matters because there was a conversation implying that Dallas is cheap and hasn't spent money in a decade.
Maybe I am a little slow, but my UT education tells me that one year out of ten is not a big enough sample size to extrapolate a working hypothesis.

Premise 1: The Cowboys are cheap and never spend money over the last decade.
Premise 2: The Cowboys were the top spending team in 2021.
Hypothesis: The Cowboys are therefore not cheap.

Conclusion: This hypothesis is not supported by the given premises, one year results is not sufficient enough to extrapolate over a decade, that is only a 10% sample size.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The most confusing part about the whole "Cowboys are cheap and won't spend" argument is how they are able to be cheap while having spent the entire salary cap allowance. The reason they can't spend more money is because they have spent all the money. Thus they are cheap. Quite the logic.
There is a difference between actual cash spent and cap charge.

For example, Dak's cap charge this year is $55 million, but his actual cash that he is paid is only around $30 million roughly if I remember correctly.

The difference is prorated signing bonus money, restructures, dead money (Zeke is still counting around $6 million on the cap, but the Cowboys are not paying him a single penny in cash this year).

Just becasue the cap is $230 million doesnt mean that $230 million is actually being paid in cash..........................most people dont actually realize this.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
There is a difference between actual cash spent and cap charge.

For example, Dak's cap charge this year is $55 million, but his actual cash that he is paid is only around $30 million roughly if I remember correctly.

The difference is prorated signing bonus money, restructures, dead money (Zeke is still counting around $6 million on the cap, but the Cowboys are not paying him a single penny in cash this year).

Just becasue the cap is $230 million doesnt mean that $230 million is actually being paid in cash..........................most people dont actually realize this.
The salary cap in any given year is what dictates will be spent that season. Whether it's dead money, restructures from previous years, or signing bonuses for new players, those charges all equate to what's available to spend. Is it unreasonable to say they're not spending because previous decisions have determined that they are unable to spend without adverse affects on future finances?

tm1119

Reaction score
The salary cap in any given year is what dictates will be spent that season. Whether it's dead money, restructures from previous years, or signing bonuses for new players, those charges all equate to what's available to spend. Is it unreasonable to say they're not spending because previous decisions have determined that they are unable to spend without adverse affects on future finances?
Why wouldn’t you google the info before typing that all out? Quite odd to confidently type out something you’re completely wrong about.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you google the info before typing that all out? Quite odd to confidently type out something you’re completely wrong about.
It's even more strange that you would tell me I'm wrong without offering insight, or even asking for clarification.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I think they have an issue spending this year because of the money they spent in previous years.

This is what this post is about.

We talk about extending Dak and moving more dead cap space money in the future.

What contracts you sign today, will have an impact on what you can pay for in the future. 2025, 2026, etc.

SBWinner

Reaction score
They spend their cap money. They just don't spend it on the players the fans want them to, e.g. outside free agents. This leads people to conclude they don't spend money even though they do. If they overpay, its their own free agents and that tends to piss people off because 'the grass is greener on the other side' which may or may not be true.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cash Spenders
1. Cowboys, $262M
2. Buccaneers, $245M
3. Patriots, $241M

Cap Spenders
1. Cowboys, $201M
2. Patriots, $197M
3. Browns, $197M

Note; I'm contemplating getting the paid version of Spotrac which would give me the exact cash spend numbers for each season going back to 2011.

Haters are Googling as we speak

Staubacher

Reaction score

Cash Spenders
1. Cowboys, $262M
2. Buccaneers, $245M
3. Patriots, $241M

Cap Spenders
1. Cowboys, $201M
2. Patriots, $197M
3. Browns, $197M

Dude it's 2024

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Haters are Googling as we speak
Haters? I literally just posted the figures from the article coming from the NFLPA for all years....pg 1 The article was well written. They discussed all of this on the radio yesterday. This is why the OP is attacking it....it has been in the news. Then a second article I listed from weeks back posts the same information. The OP just didn't like it. Th numbers posted are not false and are from the source.

rojan

Reaction score
Bottom line is that the salary cap is easily manipulated. Most teams miniplate the cap to spend more than they are allowed. The cowboys miniplate the cap to make it appear they are spending more than they actually are. This confirms that the Cowboys don't care about winning, they only care about appearing to care about winning.

Reactions: CWR