News: Cowboys Trade for Christine Michael per Schefter

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well now, Mr. Expert...exactly what did I get wrong?

We traded a 7th-round pick - factual
Lavar Edwards was released to make a roster spot for CM - factual

My 3rd point was that CM would not necessarily be active each Sunday. That's nothing but speculation on my part, but as speculation, how can it be wrong? It may end up that way, but right now, it's not.

So tell us...just whose role is CM going to take?

Randle?...who has been propped up as the starter since Murray left, and did nothing in training camp to lose any ground - according to folks who were there everyday (aka, not you).

McFadden?...right now considered to be Dallas' most "complete" RB, with exceptional skills in all three areas demanded by the position (running, receiving, pass blocking)

Dunbar?...has a unique skill set that makes him the only viable choice for certain specific -though limited - down and distance scenarios.

Unless Randle or McFadden gets hurt, or if Dallas decides to carry 4 TBs on game days, Michael won't even be active on Sunday's. Just like Ryan Williams last season, he was inactive each and every game. He was considered to be much better than Dunbar, yet Dunbar was always active.

There just isn't an opportunity here in Dallas with all this RB talent on the roster.

dallasdave

Reaction score
There just isn't an opportunity here in Dallas with all this RB talent on the roster.

Jerry and Steve are working as hard, every GM in the league is calling trying to trade for one of our RB's !!! The other GM's say "I can't believe Dallas is that deep at RB" .

John813

Reaction score
Jerry and Steve are working as hard, every GM in the league is calling trying to trade for one of our RB's !!! The other GM's say "I can't believe Dallas is that deep at RB" .

Just imagine if Ryan 2k Williams was still on the roster. Philly would have nothing on us.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Just imagine if Ryan 2k Williams was still on the roster. Philly would have nothing on us.

If we had Williams along with all the other backs, Goodell would declare that the Cowboys had too much of an unfair advantage over the rest of the league !!!

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Wait, are you implying some logic here? Oh.

Anyways. It is just wrong. He really is a dependable player and since we have better coaches and Dallas is his favorite team, it is a mega steal.

Case closed!

Yeah, because we all know that coaches and scouts never make mistakes.

Cris Carter, WR, Vikings. Being released by Buddy Ryan from the Eagles in 1990, three seasons into his career, was the defining moment of Carter’s life, as it opened the door to addressing his drug and alcohol problems. Carter has repeatedly thanked Ryan since, including his Hall of Fame acceptance speech last year.

Wes Welker, WR, Patriots/Broncos. The undrafted Welker made the 2004 Chargers regular-season roster but was cut after Week 1 to make room for another player. He went to Miami for the next three seasons, then was picked up as a free agent by New England. You know the rest.

Rod Smith, WR, Broncos. A Division II star, he was signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 1994. They cut him, and the Broncos picked him up and put him on the practice squad for a year. He made the roster the next season, won two Super Bowls with them and finished his 12-year career with 849 catches.

Arian Foster, RB, Texans. After sliding out of the 2009 draft, Foster was signed by the Texans. But they cut him at the end of the preseason, watched him pass through waivers and signed him to the practice squad. He was promoted to the roster in November, and the following season he broke out with an NFL-leading 1,616 yards.

James Harrison, LB, Steelers. He was undrafted out of college and was cut a total of four times in two seasons by two teams, the Steelers and Ravens, before finally sticking with Pittsburgh in 2004. Four years later, he was the NFL defensive player of the year and had the legendary 100-yard end-of-half pick-six in the Steelers’ Super Bowl win over the Cardinals.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the skill that all great running backs have, the ability to change direction without slowing down. Watch the film, every time he makes a cut, he slows down and stutter steps. The great ones (including Murray) don't do that, they are much more fluid when changing direction.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that Dunbar sucks.

I think Linehan likes to use him as a decoy. But he really does very little with the ball in his hands. His one highlight play last year turned out to be a fumble.

But did you see the acceleration before the fumble? And I'm not talking top-end speed (which he also has), but the acceleration. That was eye opening and that's what makes a difference in this game. Dunbar definitely does NOT suck. Dunbar is going to be a real weapon this year.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I have to admit, I just get depressed when watching this guy's highlight film. He is a total JAG, it is obvious. Murray's film is always a thing of beauty -- the fluidity, the quickness. This guy sucks. He is all jerky and stuttery. Forget about this guy right now, he is worthless.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to admit, I just get depressed when watching this guy's highlight film. He is a total JAG, it is obvious. Murray's film is always a thing of beauty -- the fluidity, the quickness. This guy sucks. He is all jerky and stuttery. Forget about this guy right now, he is worthless.

Seriously? I don't think Michael is a cure-all for us, but his highlight reel is beautiful. That spin move alone I could watch every Sunday this season and be happy about it, and I love how aggressively he finishes runs.

I could do without the strutting up the field after every decent play, but the guy's fun to watch with the ball in his hands. His issues are between the ears and not once he gets through the LoS.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Seriously? I don't think Michael is a cure-all for us, but his highlight reel is beautiful. That spin move alone I could watch every Sunday this season and be happy about it, and I love how aggressively he finishes runs.

I could do without the strutting up the field after every decent play, but the guy's fun to watch with the ball in his hands. His issues are between the ears and not once he gets through the LoS.

The issues between his ears don't help, but this is the mistake I see all too often from talent evaluators. He's got the great size-speed combo but he doesn't have "it" (IMO) -- "it" being the fluid change of direction ability and acceleration that the great ones have. Troy Hambrick was the perfect example. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issues between his ears don't help, but this is the mistake I see all too often from talent evaluators. He's got the great size-speed combo but he doesn't have "it" (IMO) -- "it" being the fluid change of direction ability and acceleration that the great ones have. Troy Hambrick was the perfect example. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not.

Well, I think you're wrong, anyway. But we might not get to really find out if he's not able to make the smart decisions he needs to make to earn some snaps.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Well, I think you're wrong, anyway. But we might not get to really find out if he's not able to make the smart decisions he needs to make to earn some snaps.

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Yeah, because we all know that coaches and scouts never make mistakes.

Cris Carter, WR, Vikings. Being released by Buddy Ryan from the Eagles in 1990, three seasons into his career, was the defining moment of Carter’s life, as it opened the door to addressing his drug and alcohol problems. Carter has repeatedly thanked Ryan since, including his Hall of Fame acceptance speech last year.

Wes Welker, WR, Patriots/Broncos. The undrafted Welker made the 2004 Chargers regular-season roster but was cut after Week 1 to make room for another player. He went to Miami for the next three seasons, then was picked up as a free agent by New England. You know the rest.

Rod Smith, WR, Broncos. A Division II star, he was signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent in 1994. They cut him, and the Broncos picked him up and put him on the practice squad for a year. He made the roster the next season, won two Super Bowls with them and finished his 12-year career with 849 catches.

Arian Foster, RB, Texans. After sliding out of the 2009 draft, Foster was signed by the Texans. But they cut him at the end of the preseason, watched him pass through waivers and signed him to the practice squad. He was promoted to the roster in November, and the following season he broke out with an NFL-leading 1,616 yards.

James Harrison, LB, Steelers. He was undrafted out of college and was cut a total of four times in two seasons by two teams, the Steelers and Ravens, before finally sticking with Pittsburgh in 2004. Four years later, he was the NFL defensive player of the year and had the legendary 100-yard end-of-half pick-six in the Steelers’ Super Bowl win over the Cardinals.

Some good examples !!

rpntex

Reaction score

I gewt the sarcasm. Granted, neither McFadden nor Randle has proven much of anything in the league, but Michael has proven less.

Merlin

Reaction score
IMO, Randle has more ability than Michael. Randle will be good, but not the greatness we witnessed last year, especially in the red zone.

Have to disagree. Michael is the most talented back on the roster. His problems are between his ears but the same could be said of Randle.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Patriots actually traded a second rounder for Welker.

Harrison only became good after he experienced a game changing shift in weight and muscle gain. Seems pretty obvious he stumbled across a mysterious package that may or may not have included needles and hormones.

rpntex

Reaction score
Who of consequence considered Ryan Williams to be better then anyone. The staff didnt consider him better then Dunbar or else he wouldnt have been cut last preseason

With all due respect, I think you're wrong.

When Linehan was hired, he was quoted as being "intrigued" by the possibilities Dunbar added to the 3rd down passing game (similar to the same role Reggie Bush played for him in Detroit). Not saying Dunbar is anywhere near the running back Reggie Bush is - only that the skill set is similar. If nothing else, that got Dunbar some leeway to start the season.

What's more, it was the concensus (last year during camp) that Williams had a better camp than Randle and Dunbar (at least with regards to running the ball), but his injury history was a concern.

Third, and some would say the most underrated reason - Dunbar was the only RB who played special teams.

This year, once again Dunbar is the only one who plays ST. He's not the only back with the 3rd-down skillset, however. McFadden fits that role nicely, but his injury history makes Dallas hesitant to cut Dunbar. Dunbar gets cut, then McFadden gets injured, and we no longer have a 3rd-down pass-catching back at all. And that role is too important to Linehan's offense to miss.

rpntex

Reaction score
Where you are blatantly wrong is your insinuation that Garrett will not play Michael because he has "propped up" Randle and believes that McFadden is the most "complete" back.

You are pulling these assumptions (not facts) from the deep recesses of your butt.

I have a much more likely assumption. If Michael performs better in practice he will play in the games. If he performs better in the games, he will get the most opportunities.

How 'bout dem apples??!

Is it not a fact that this coachaing staff has been propping up Randle to be the lead back throughout the offseason? They started by not resigning Demarco Murray. Randle was #2 last year...commen sense says that Randle is the heir apparent. It's been his position to lose. He still has to perform to keep it.

It's not a complete assumption to assert that McFadden is our most complete back, either. He's the only back on this team who has proven himself to be proficient at running the football, catching the football, and pass blocking. Based upon his history, it's obvious that Randle is deficient in the pass protection game, while Dunbar's deficient as both a runner and pass blocker. Michael sample size is so small that there's mo evidence he's proficent in any of the three areas.

People can spew all day long that neither Randle nor McFadden have proven much of anytuing. Just keep in mind...Michaerl has proven even less.