News: Cowboys Trade for Christine Michael per Schefter

Plankton

Reaction score
Interesting article about Terrence West as he is traded to the Titans. Some of the issues noted sound a bit familiar to an earlier discussion:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/09/terrance_west_traded_to_the_ti.html
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/09/terrance_west_traded_to_the_ti.html
Former Browns running back Terrance West went south -- literally -- because of his inconsistency on the field and immaturity off of it.

The Browns were so willing to go in another direction with their 2014 third-round pick out of Towson that they shipped him to the Titans Sunday for a conditional lowly seventh-round pick -- even with eventual starter Duke Johnson in the concussion protocol.

If the Titans hadn't taken him off their hands, the Browns likely would've cut him. Remember, not only did they spend a third-round pick on him last year, they shipped a fourth- and sixth-round picks to the 49ers to move up and grab him at No. 94, presumably before his hometown Ravens did so at 99.

West, the Browns leading rusher last season with 673 yards, came into the season on shaky ground because of maturity issues and because he wasn't well-liked by some in Berea.

West had already been benched twice last season for not having good practice weeks and for not exhibiting the professionalism the Browns were seeking.

They gave him a chance to redeem himself this preseason, but didn't see enough to keep him around.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Interesting article about Terrence West as he is traded to the Titans. Some of the issues noted sound a bit familiar to an earlier discussion:

Former Browns running back Terrance West went south -- literally -- because of his inconsistency on the field and immaturity off of it.

The Browns were so willing to go in another direction with their 2014 third-round pick out of Towson that they shipped him to the Titans Sunday for a conditional lowly seventh-round pick -- even with eventual starter Duke Johnson in the concussion protocol.

If the Titans hadn't taken him off their hands, the Browns likely would've cut him. Remember, not only did they spend a third-round pick on him last year, they shipped a fourth- and sixth-round picks to the 49ers to move up and grab him at No. 94, presumably before his hometown Ravens did so at 99.

West, the Browns leading rusher last season with 673 yards, came into the season on shaky ground because of maturity issues and because he wasn't well-liked by some in Berea.

West had already been benched twice last season for not having good practice weeks and for not exhibiting the professionalism the Browns were seeking.

They gave him a chance to redeem himself this preseason, but didn't see enough to keep him around.

I like the back we got better but if the reports are true and we wanted to trade for this guy but the price was to high, and they traded him for a conditional 7th, what were trying to give them.. it doesn't get any cheaper than a conditional 7th in a trade ha ha..

CCBoy

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- In order for the Seattle Seahawks to get the Dallas Cowboys’ seventh-round pick in 2016, Christine Michael will have to be on the 46-man gameday roster three times this season.

The Cowboys acquired Michael for the conditional seventh-round selection on Sunday, joining a tailback crew that already included Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar.

What is the likelihood the Cowboys have to give up the seventh-round pick? Getting four tailbacks on a gameday roster is especially tricky, unless one of those backs is a core special-teamer. Only Dunbar plays multiple special-teams units among the group.

Last year the Cowboys had only three tailbacks on the roster. In 2014, they had four tailbacks on the 46-man roster for six games...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...cowboys-add-qb-kellen-moore-to-practice-squad

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Per Archer, if Michael is activated for three games, the pick is locked in as a 7th.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Yep. Not a fan of anybody who has "ball control" as a primary negative. Or "pass blocking." But he does have a punishing running style that's fun to watch.

Considering he was pass blocking a run happy Johnny Football, I'll ignore that negative.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I really like this move. Another low risk, high reward move by the front office. He has nice burst, vision and he runs DOWNHILL. This is something we lack in our RB depth. He keeps his pads low and powers thru. If he keeps his head on, stays healthy and learns quick, you can bet he will compete for carries.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
After looking at him, I think he has at least the physical abilities to be a notch below Murray, but then I think he lacks the intelligence to even be that good.

I think he is an injury backup at best. I don't think he has the intelligence or enough comprehension to make a good decision.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't rush to categorize him as a blade of grass tripper as was Derrick Hambrick...

rpntex

Reaction score
Hahaha...you got none of that right

Well now, Mr. Expert...exactly what did I get wrong?

We traded a 7th-round pick - factual
Lavar Edwards was released to make a roster spot for CM - factual

My 3rd point was that CM would not necessarily be active each Sunday. That's nothing but speculation on my part, but as speculation, how can it be wrong? It may end up that way, but right now, it's not.

So tell us...just whose role is CM going to take?

Randle?...who has been propped up as the starter since Murray left, and did nothing in training camp to lose any ground - according to folks who were there everyday (aka, not you).

McFadden?...right now considered to be Dallas' most "complete" RB, with exceptional skills in all three areas demanded by the position (running, receiving, pass blocking)

Dunbar?...has a unique skill set that makes him the only viable choice for certain specific -though limited - down and distance scenarios.

Unless Randle or McFadden gets hurt, or if Dallas decides to carry 4 TBs on game days, Michael won't even be active on Sunday's. Just like Ryan Williams last season, he was inactive each and every game. He was considered to be much better than Dunbar, yet Dunbar was always active.

windjc

Reaction score

My 3rd point was that CM would not necessarily be active each Sunday. That's nothing but speculation on my part, but as speculation, how can it be wrong? It may end up that way, but right now, it's not.

Randle?...who has been propped up as the starter since Murray left, and did nothing in training camp to lose any ground - according to folks who were there everyday (aka, not you).

McFadden?...right now considered to be Dallas' most "complete" RB, with exceptional skills in all three areas demanded by the position (running, receiving, pass blocking)

Dunbar?...has a unique skill set that makes him the only viable choice for certain specific -though limited - down and distance scenarios.

Unless Randle or McFadden gets hurt, or if Dallas decides to carry 4 TBs on game days, Michael won't even be active on Sunday's. Just like Ryan Williams last season, he was inactive each and every game. He was considered to be much better than Dunbar, yet Dunbar was always active.

Where you are blatantly wrong is your insinuation that Garrett will not play Michael because he has "propped up" Randle and believes that McFadden is the most "complete" back.

You are pulling these assumptions (not facts) from the deep recesses of your butt.

I have a much more likely assumption. If Michael performs better in practice he will play in the games. If he performs better in the games, he will get the most opportunities.

How 'bout dem apples??!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Who of consequence considered Ryan Williams to be better then anyone. The staff didnt consider him better then Dunbar or else he wouldnt have been cut last preseason

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
This whole Dunbar infatuation still amazes me. For a guy supposedly so valuable we sure have difficulty finding any way to actually use him.

windjc

Reaction score
This whole Dunbar infatuation still amazes me. For a guy supposedly so valuable we sure have difficulty finding any way to actually use him.

I have come to the conclusion that Dunbar sucks.

I think Linehan likes to use him as a decoy. But he really does very little with the ball in his hands. His one highlight play last year turned out to be a fumble.