News: Cowboys training camp: Ezekiel Elliott 'making plans' to leave country amid contract holdout

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I don't know how true this is or not. However, I do know that every year Zeke been with the Cowboys, he starts slow because he is out of football shape due to him not playing in preseason or not practicing.

As a Dallas fan, this worry me because even though the beginning of the season are winnable games, the offense need to be at their best starting week 1 in order for the Cowboys to win.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Huh? Stood by the guy? He's on a rookie contract and arguably the best RB in the league. You think they were going to cut him? Lmao.

Also, he didn't ruin anything. Not one single thing was proven in any capacity yet he still gets 6 games and you have guys actually arrested who get none. That was a witch hunt from Goodell. Quit acting like Dallas actually did him some type of favor.

Yawn...

CWR

Reaction score
Most of us are acting like this is all bs, but the more stories that come out the more traction it gains.

I am ready to pay Dak, Coop and Zeke.

However, if Zeke chooses this route it will rub a lot of people wrong. The organization has stood by him, been supportive and understanding while he acts a fool. Is he really planning to return the favor by holding out with TWO years left on his contract? If so I think its a realistic possibility he gets traded. I know its business at the end of the day, but it wouldn't suprise me in the least bit if the organization takes this one personal..

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I had to see more about your response, and clicked the show ignored content button. Then read why. And reconfirmed why I have that person on ignore. :muttley:

good post

For real. People act like Zeke is some terrible human being and Dallas is doing him a favor by keeping him on the team?

Zeke knows his position is expendable. I don't really get into contract talks because that is their own personal lives at stake. Owners make hundreds of millions every single year and take no physical risks at all. I have no issues with players making moves to try and get paid, especially in a sport where nothing at all is guaranteed.

I still don't think we should have created an antiquated offense model where we are so dependent on OL and RB. I'd rather see a quick read offense like the Saints run. Rotate RBs in and out. I am not a big fan of a bell cow RB in today's game.

superonyx

Reaction score
Guy has 2 years left on his contract....have fun holding out buddy, if you don’t like the way rookie contracts are structured then talk to your player rep and have them negotiate a better cba!

Frankly I don’t care about a Whiney immature millionaire that doesn’t want to adhere to the contract that he signed. I know we would struggle without him but frankly I’m just getting so sick of this part of the modern nfl. I am 37 and it keeps getting worse, between that and the penalties and changes to contact the game is really starting to lose its luster...
Hey man whatever helps you get more enjoyment out of life.
How do you know he didn't talk to his union rep? Are we pretending now that the current batch of young players had anything to do with the negotiations between the owners and the players?
Do you usually like the side with the Billionaires over the millionaires?

I get what you are saying about the amount of media attention and how us middle aged guys miss the old days when we could pretend it wasnt a business.
This applies to every form of entertainment on tv though. Do you get less enjoyment out of a movie when you hear the list of demands a movie star has in their contract?

We don't even know if any of this is true at this point.
But if it was you may do the same thing if you are Zeke. You have a small window to make as much money as possible. Would you really just let that go by just because some weak union player rep negotiated a crap deal when you were in junior high school? I wouldn't and I am one of the good guys.

superonyx

Reaction score
Most of us are acting like this is all bs, but the more stories that come out the more traction it gains.

I am ready to pay Dak, Coop and Zeke.

However, if Zeke chooses this route it will rub a lot of people wrong. The organization has stood by him, been supportive and understanding while he acts a fool. Is he really planning to return the favor by holding out with TWO years left on his contract? If so I think its a realistic possibility he gets traded. I know its business at the end of the day, but it wouldn't suprise me in the least bit if the organization takes this one personal..
If he does hold out the organization only has itself to blame for 2 major reasons.

1. Overuse of Zeke due to failure to bring in a guy capable of splitting carries.
2. Demarco Murray

If you were Zeke what would you think?
You and I and everyone would be thinking "these guys are going to give me another 350-400 touches these next 2 years and then use that against me when its time for a new deal".

Why would he think anything else?

erod

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I read that since he's still on his rookie contract, he has to report by 6 August in order to be able to accrue a season. If so, he can't skip camp (only a little portion of it).
Actually, the rule is he has to show up by Week 10 of the season to accrue a season.

A player only need to be there for 6 games to accrue a season.

However, that would cost him about $5 million.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Actually, the rule is he has to show up by Week 10 of the season to accrue a season.

A player only need to be there for 6 games to accrue a season.

However, that would cost him about $5 million.
This is what was written in an "SB Nation" article:
"Charles Robinson also highlighted a key detail in all of this during his reporting. Ezekiel Elliott has to report to the Cowboys by August 6th in order to gain an accrued season in 2019. That would be essential in his quest towards free agency if he ever wanted to get there."
I'm no contract expert by any stretch, but I think you're referring to the rule for vested vets. I could be off-base on this, I was going by what was written in the article quoted above.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If he was on a rookie deal of a player taken after the 1st round--so no 5th year option--this would make a bit more sense.
But not only does he have 1st round rookie deal, but he has a fairly high paying one as he was taken so early.

glimmerman

Reaction score
5 year deal. He has the next 2 years anyways. It will be a 3 year extension at the end of the day.

I think he will be a major player for at least another 5 years.

SJ said he has already put the money aside for him. Starts with gurley money and will go from there. So if SJ has already set aside that much then they will only be a million or so apart to begin with.

erod

Reaction score
This is what was written in an "SB Nation" article:
"Charles Robinson also highlighted a key detail in all of this during his reporting. Ezekiel Elliott has to report to the Cowboys by August 6th in order to gain an accrued season in 2019. That would be essential in his quest towards free agency if he ever wanted to get there."
I'm no contract expert by any stretch, but I think you're referring to the rule for vested vets. I could be off-base on this, I was going by what was written in the article quoted above.
I'm going by this.

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/

"In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games."

Is there some addtional rule not listed here?

Jipper

Reaction score
Hey man whatever helps you get more enjoyment out of life.
How do you know he didn't talk to his union rep? Are we pretending now that the current batch of young players had anything to do with the negotiations between the owners and the players?
Do you usually like the side with the Billionaires over the millionaires?

I get what you are saying about the amount of media attention and how us middle aged guys miss the old days when we could pretend it wasnt a business.
This applies to every form of entertainment on tv though. Do you get less enjoyment out of a movie when you hear the list of demands a movie star has in their contract?

We don't even know if any of this is true at this point.
But if it was you may do the same thing if you are Zeke. You have a small window to make as much money as possible. Would you really just let that go by just because some weak union player rep negotiated a crap deal when you were in junior high school? I wouldn't and I am one of the good guys.

I don't like movies or tv shows when the actors pull that kind of stuff and have boycotted plenty of shows bc of political statements the actors have made.

I am also getting to the point with the nfl that i am getting turned off because of this type of stuff. I have already gotten to the point where i rarely watch non cowboys gsmes...

the game is changing and I am not enjoying it as much...

also the fact that he would hold out when he has 2 years left on his contract really is the issue....he signed the contract and it is what it is.

bandfan

Reaction score
This was my response on the last thread about this and it hasn't changed: Here's the thing, you hold out for one reason, leverage. You don't get leverage by keeping your plan to hold out a secret. If he was gonna hold out his agent would make sure it was the boldest headline on every acronymed newspaper and website on earth, the moon, and mars.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm going by this.

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/

"In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games."

From your same article a couple paragraphs down:

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I’m so sick of this E-walk. Trade him already. He’s a mistake waiting to happen. If you can get a 1st take it and run.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I'm going by this.

I did a small amount of looking and couldn't come up with anything. I thought the same as you (a player must play at least six games to accrue a season) until I came across that article. It might be that the rules for Zeke are different because he has only played three seasons (not yet a vested vet...must finish four seasons for that). It might be also be that Charles Robinson (the guy I quoted) might be wrong. We have a few truly contract-savvy people on here that might chime in.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
From your same article a couple paragraphs down:

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.
Reading is FUNdamental!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Also I’d like to add it’s just a rumor that he’s supposedly leaving the country. So far notta. I’d say Florio is full of you know what.

On a side note did he ever find that Dez tape?

LandryFan

Reaction score
I'm going by this.

Did a little more digging and came up with this:

Aug. 6
Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2019 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2020 League Year.

Link: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/05/key-dates-leading-up-to-season-100-for-the-nfl/

CooterBrown

Reaction score
If Zeke is not at training camp, he may say it is about $, but it would probably be more about, "I'm not going to do much football stuff in preseason anyway. I don't need no stinking training camp and here is a handy excuse to skip it." And, in that regard, I think he is right. He doesn't need much preparation. What it does hurt, is the timing and coordination with the other players on offense going into the regular season.