News: Cowboys training camp: Ezekiel Elliott 'making plans' to leave country amid contract holdout

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Did a little more digging and came up with this:

Aug. 6
Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2019 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2020 League Year.

Link: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/05/key-dates-leading-up-to-season-100-for-the-nfl/
Look at Aviano’s post (#34) above yours. That explains it.

CWR

Reaction score
If he does hold out the organization only has itself to blame for 2 major reasons.

1. Overuse of Zeke due to failure to bring in a guy capable of splitting carries.
2. Demarco Murray

If you were Zeke what would you think?
You and I and everyone would be thinking "these guys are going to give me another 350-400 touches these next 2 years and then use that against me when its time for a new deal".

Why would he think anything else?

If I was Zeke Id be self aware enough to know my off field activities are a detriment and hurt my value.

That said Id play this season, behave next off season and plan to hold out if I didn't get a new contract.

He deserves a new contract but to hold out this offseason seems premature. Mainly because even if he held out until the last possible week (week 10?) he would still be under contract for one more year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lol @ Elliott being speculated to vacation in Mexico. It takes twice as long to fly to Seattle.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Huh? Stood by the guy? He's on a rookie contract and arguably the best RB in the league. You think they were going to cut him? Lmao.

Also, he didn't ruin anything. Not one single thing was proven in any capacity yet he still gets 6 games and you have guys actually arrested who get none. That was a witch hunt from Goodell. Quit acting like Dallas actually did him some type of favor.

No need to cut him. He's under contract. Fine him until he shows.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Not sure if the story has legs or not, but am leaning towards yes. Zeke is piling up enough red flags for me that he is becoming one of my least favorite Cowboys players.

Reactions: CWR

erod

Reaction score
From your same article a couple paragraphs down:

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.
So you call up and say "reporting in," then hold out.

All I know is that players have reported specifically before week 10 in the past to make sure they get that year accrual.

erod

Reaction score
Did a little more digging and came up with this:

Aug. 6
Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2019 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2020 League Year.

Link: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/05/key-dates-leading-up-to-season-100-for-the-nfl/
Zeke is not a drafted rookie.

cern

Reaction score
last time he went to cabo he returned in good shape. there's something to be said for running on the beach.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not sure if the story has legs or not, but am leaning towards yes. Zeke is piling up enough red flags for me that he is becoming one of my least favorite Cowboys players.

Why? Because he wants to be paid?

Zeke ranked 10th in RB average salaries for 2019.

TGurley and Bell ranked #1 and #2.

The math is easy.

Pay Zeke.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
From your same article a couple paragraphs down:

There is another parameter for gaining an Accrued Season in the new CBA. Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.

Dallas ownership will just waive that requirement in Zeke's new deal.

It's not going to be an issue.

Pay Zeke.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Zeke is not a drafted rookie.
I'm pretty sure they're addressing two situations here...
1. Players under contract (which Zeke is)
2. Players who have been drafted but not signed with the team that drafted them (not under contract)...hence, they can't sign with another team until the day of the next year's draft. This scenario never plays out anymore since the slotting of rookie contracts went into affect.
Someone posted in #34, the rule for Zeke's situation, and it was clear from that that he has to report by 6 August.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they're addressing two situations here...
1. Players under contract (which Zeke is)
2. Players who have been drafted but not signed with the team that drafted them (not under contract)...hence, they can't sign with another team until the day of the next year's draft. This scenario never plays out anymore since the slotting of rookie contracts went into affect.
Someone posted in #34, the rule for Zeke's situation, and it was clear from that that he has to report by 6 August.

They will just fix that problem in his new contract.

It does not force Zeke to do anything.

He has all the leverage.

Dallas pays him, he plays football.

Otherwise, let one of these scrubs try it for a while.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I'm pro Zeke and want Dallas to sign him. However, if he wants well over 16 million a year let him go...the more I listen to the arguments the more okay I am without him as long as they get a good 2nd tier back to replace him.