News: Cowboys training camp: Ezekiel Elliott 'making plans' to leave country amid contract holdout

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I guess we'll find out on the 26th if this has any teeth. Interesting that there have been no comments from Zeke or the FO. Right now this is a PFT rumor as far as I'm concerned.

Verdict

Reaction score
If he does hold out the organization only has itself to blame for 2 major reasons.

1. Overuse of Zeke due to failure to bring in a guy capable of splitting carries.
2. Demarco Murray

If you were Zeke what would you think?
You and I and everyone would be thinking "these guys are going to give me another 350-400 touches these next 2 years and then use that against me when its time for a new deal".

Why would he think anything else?

Keeping it real, the Cowboys put Murray in the position to make a lot of money and he did from someone else. I doubt Murray is upset over that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Zeke does hold out during camp, gets drunk and commits another boneheaded dumb mistake off the field, will you guys still want him back and resigned for a longterm contract?

superonyx

Reaction score
Keeping it real, the Cowboys put Murray in the position to make a lot of money and he did from someone else. I doubt Murray is upset over that.
Agreed. I doubt Murray is upset.
I also doubt Zeke, his parents, and agents are all unaware of the risks and possibilities of Dallas beating Zeke's body up 2 more years and then letting him go make less than he could today.

Would you not have this idea in your mind also?
We probably all would.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The more I think about this story the less sense it makes.If a guy was planning to hold out he wouldn't be keeping it a secret. He'd make it known, see how the team reacts, and try to negotiate something. Leaving the country on top of it only makes any attempt to negotiate more complicated.

Either this story is nonsense, or Zeke and his agent have a very unusual negotiating strategy. Then again, we just had a guy refuse to repair his body in response to wanting a contract, so...

Buzzbait

Reaction score
For real. People act like Zeke is some terrible human being and Dallas is doing him a favor by keeping him on the team?

Zeke knows his position is expendable. I don't really get into contract talks because that is their own personal lives at stake.
Owners make hundreds of millions every single year and take no physical risks at all.
I have no issues with players making moves to try and get paid, especially in a sport where nothing at all is guaranteed.

I still don't think we should have created an antiquated offense model where we are so dependent on OL and RB. I'd rather see a quick read offense like the Saints run. Rotate RBs in and out. I am not a big fan of a bell cow RB in today's game.

True the owner doesn't take physical risks like you said, but they take plenty of monetary risks every year. Every player they draft is a monetary risk.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Ha at all the people thinking this is a 'rumor'. He's gonna holdout IMHO. Guy is......'mercurial' to say the least. He's also pivotal to what we do and not very bright either. So we will see where it all goes.