News: Cowboys training camp: Ezekiel Elliott 'making plans' to leave country amid contract holdout

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
All agents probably advise to hold out for money.

I think the bigger discussion is few players have the talent level or impact to their team to hold out 2 years in advance.
No... they call for a holdout if the situation is advantageous for said player.
No agent calls for a holdout for Heath.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Interesting we haven’t extended Dak or Cooper yet.

Will Jerry look the fool if he extends them but not Elliott and we struggle.

Could this potential holdout effect us waiting to extend them too?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No... they call for a holdout if the situation is advantageous for said player.
No agent calls for a holdout for Heath.
Right

Sorry I didn’t specify on key talent. I thought that was a given . But only in my mind. Lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...plans-to-leave-country-amid-contract-holdout/

And here we go.....

This story seems really mealy-mouthed, but it's out there. My gut though is that it's true.

Zeke sees the writing on the wall. The Cowboys are about to run his wheels off this season, and he wants to get paid now before they "Demarco Murray" him out of here.

The Cowboys are probably fine with this for now because they barely have him do anything in camp anyway, and frankly, most of us thought he was going to get a game or two suspension.

Unless he agrees to something reasonable - like 4 years for $50 mm with $30 mm guaranteed - I think the Cowboys will stand pat. It's risky to pay big money to guys that are untrustworthy off the field, especially at the running back position.

SCREW him. Hes got two yers left. The Cowboys get a bargain for drafting well, and that bargain goes away if they cave. Zeke doesnt have any leverage here. He has 2 full years left and no step closer to free agency if he sits. Stand firm Jerry.

superonyx

Reaction score
If I was Zeke Id be self aware enough to know my off field activities are a detriment and hurt my value.

That said Id play this season, behave next off season and plan to hold out if I didn't get a new contract.

He deserves a new contract but to hold out this offseason seems premature. Mainly because even if he held out until the last possible week (week 10?) he would still be under contract for one more year.
Zeke already has a contract that will pay him a substantial amount this year and next. If they extended him now it wouldn’t necessarily pay him that much more the next 2 seasons as much as it would guarantee the team is committed to him long term.
Didn’t the eagles just extend Carson Wentz after 3 years? If you see how these deals are structured you may see that they don’t increase the yearly as much as you may think. It’s more about the commitment.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Cowboy fans thought we were going to be able to ride the Elliott horse for another 2 years and then let him walk without extending him a hefty 2nd contract.

But he’s put the brakes on it. As much as it could hurt this season and beyond I always respect someone for making a smart call.

Given his recent meeting with the commissioner I don't believe now is the time to hold out.

I think its absolutely the move next year if he isn't resigned by the start of the season.

I'm surprised we haven't taken care of Coop, Dak or Zeke yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
SCREW him. Hes got two yers left. The Cowboys get a bargain for drafting well, and that bargain goes away if they cave. Zeke doesnt have any leverage here. He has 2 full years left and no step closer to free agency if he sits. Stand firm Jerry.
Yea, stand firm . Lol

Sign Dak and watch him crumble without Elliott and the season fade quickly. That won’t be any problem for Jerry. Lmao

Hats off to Elliott for putting the brakes on the bargain for drafting well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Given his recent meeting with the commissioner I don't believe now is the time to hold out.

I think its absolutely the move next year if he isn't resigned by the start of the season.

I'm surprised we haven't taken care of Coop, Dak or Zeke yet.
I’m surprised too. And I don’t think Elliott holding out is going to help.

Reactions: CWR

superonyx

Reaction score
I'm pro Zeke and want Dallas to sign him. However, if he wants well over 16 million a year let him go...the more I listen to the arguments the more okay I am without him as long as they get a good 2nd tier back to replace him.
Yea we can use the savings to give to another Tyron Crawford type player.

I don’t know why I can’t get excited about the idea of letting the best RB in football walk so we can sign a 2nd tier talent. You can get a disappointment like Tevin Coleman for 5M. That will strike fear in the defensive coordinators hearts.

CWR

Reaction score
Zeke already has a contract that will pay him a substantial amount this year and next. If they extended him now it wouldn’t necessarily pay him that much more the next 2 seasons as much as it would guarantee the team is committed to him long term.
Didn’t the eagles just extend Carson Wentz after 3 years? If you see how these deals are structured you may see that they don’t increase the yearly as much as you may think. It’s more about the commitment.

Understood. I'd like to get all three of our guys done asap.

I've argued extending him now so that his next contract is over before he gets a whole lot more miles added. Additionally we save on further inflation. My only concern is relying on Zeke off the field.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yea, stand firm . Lol

Sign Dak and watch him crumble without Elliott and the season fade quickly. That won’t be any problem for Jerry. Lmao
Hats off to Elliott for putting the brakes on the bargain for drafting well.
zeke hasnt done jack...... how did holding out work for L Bell? and at least he had leverage as he wasnt under contract. Zeke has 2 years left and zero leverage. Wait, Dak will crumble without Zeke? we have the best oline in football, right>? Well Pitt had James connor come in and not miss a beat. Didnt we just drafta RB? An avg back shoud be ok behind our all world line.... and we all know Dak is about to take off and fly in his 4th season as a starter..... i mean he is a 30 million dollar qb, isnt he?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
zeke hasnt done jack...... how did holding out work for L Bell? and at least he had leverage as he wasnt under contract. Zeke has 2 years left and zero leverage. Wait, Dak will crumble without Zeke? we have the best oline in football, right>? Well Pitt had James connor come in and not miss a beat. Didnt we just drafta RB? An avg back shoud be ok behind our all world line.... and we all know Dak is about to take off and fly in his 4th season as a starter..... i mean he is a 30 million dollar qb, isnt he?
RB by Committee again?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wentz is a QB... Zeke is not. The 2 ppositions are miles apart as far as how teams view and treat them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A smart negotiator would turn the tables on Dak and Coop, using Zeke's (maybe) holdout as the catalyst.
That could be stalling things.
Agreed..

Most likely brought things to a halt. And amazing how we really haven’t heard a peep from front office.

I suspect this has caught them as off guard as it has the fans.