CFZ Cowboys training camp location history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Texans have turned it around and I'm a bid fan cause they're doing things the right way. Funny how an org can fire their GM and suddenly become contenders two years removed from being in the cellar. At least we have continuity at the GM position and we're the most profitable woo hoo pop the champaign cork, we're champions of profit!!
Texans have turned it around cause they found a QB. They’ve had some great defenses but without a better QB which they used some previous 1st round picks they were worse than we were.

I can’t get behind a second team in Texas. I hate the fact I have most of their games broadcast on CBS instead of much better matchups.

The worst they are the more likely my local CBS affiliates won’t broadcast their game.

And their fans hate us like a divisional rival.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can't believe training camp opens this Wednesday the 24th.
This off-season flew bye.
Fastest off-season I can ever remember personally.

God I pray we finally have that special season we haven't seen since 95-96.
It flew by for me too, which is surprising after the playoff debacle. Those usually lead to a long offseason. I don’t take the playoff losses as hard as I used to. I’ve become immune to them. With as little as we did this offseason and having to rely on a bunch of young players, including Mazi, I don’t see that special season coming. However, the Cowboys usually surprise when expectations are low. We’ll see if that holds true this season. By the way, I had a nightmare not long ago about that picture you posted years ago on the old FWST telegram board we were on. It was that one with a turd laying on a toilet seat. :confused:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
As training camp 2024 approaches, I had some fun doing some research of all the locations of Cowboys training camps over its six decade plus history. The Cowboys have held camp in 9 different locations in 6 different states.

Here is a list in chronological order of the Cowboys training camp locations:
  • 1960: Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon and St. John’s Military Academy, Delafield, Wisconsin. The Cowboys inaugural season saw training camp conditions so bad they held it in two different places because the first location at Pacific University had bats, rats and toilets that didn’t always work. Cowboys were 0-11-1 in their first season.
  • 1961: St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota. After a winless first season, the Cowboys hoped that finding a better camp location would help improve their record. In a new 14 game format, the Cowboys did improve to 4-9-1.
  • 1962: Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Mich. The 4th camp location in three years, over 4 states. Although the facilities were nicer than previous locations, Coach Landry didn’t like the cool summer temperatures because he felt it did not prepare them for the early season heat of Texas.
  • 1963-1989: Cal Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, Calif. Starting in 1963, the Cowboys began a 26 year relationship with Cal Lutheran University and Thousand Oaks, Calif as the longest training camp home in team history. This included Jerry and Jimmy Johnson’s first year.
  • 1990-97: St. Edwards University, Austin, TX. Jimmy Johnson was a big fan of having his players train in the heat of Texas and the Cowboys had 8 straight training camps at St. Edward’s in Austin. Jerry liked the opportunities of reaching out to the South Texas market. TC stayed in Austin during all the 90s SB years.
  • 1998- 2001: Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, TX. One of the weirdest places ever picked to host training camp was only two hours away from Cowboys headquarters. And scene of the biggest training camp scandal, “scissorgate”. (Look it up)
  • 2002-2003, 2007, 2009-11 Alamodome, San Antonio, TX. A multi-year year marketing tour chosen by Jerry during the Dave Campo and Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett coaching years. Has to be another really strange choice.
  • 2004-2006- River Ridge Playing Fields, Oxnard, Calif. The last 3 seasons under Bill Parcells found the Cowboys starting a long training camp relationship with Oxnard, California at the River Ridge Playing Fields.
  • 2008, 2012-19, 2021-24: River Ridge Playing Fields, Oxnard, Calif. With the exception of 2020, when there was officially no training camp, since 2012, the Cowboys have remained in Oxnard.
When you contrast the spartan 1960 training camp at Pacifica University in Oregon to the 2024 trading camp in Oxnard, Ca, the first thing that jumps out at me is how training camp is marketed now. It’s officially called “Training Camp 2024, presented by American Airlines”. Here’s a link to the team’s ad: https://www.dallascowboys.com/training-camp/

Let the Cowboys 65th training camp begin!
Wow, thanks for all the work you went into to share such Cowboys training camp history @Bobhaze !!!

I personally enjoyed it when the Cowboys held training camp at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas! Perfect location for all Texans to visit, plus San Antonio has so many family fun venues to visit at the same time.

I saw the Cowboys in San Antonio back in 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010 and 2011. Truly wish Jerry would bring training camp back to San Antonio.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of attending the Cowboys training camps in Austin. One time they had a training session at a place called Burger Stadium in Austin, and I walked with my buddy carrying a couple of ice-cold beers and sat down in the bleachers. Security promptly threw us out, lol. After hassling us outside and making us pour out our beers, they let us back in. Apparently, they did not like us bringing beers onto high school property. We should of brough some cokes and carried a pint in our boots, heh.

Those were the days. Jimmy had Nate running laps, poor guy could barely move.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, thanks for all the work you went into to share such Cowboys training camp history @Bobhaze !!!

I personally enjoyed it when the Cowboys held training camp at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas! Perfect location for all Texans to visit, plus San Antonio has so many family fun venues to visit at the same time.

I saw the Cowboys in San Antonio back in 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010 and 2011. Truly wish Jerry would bring training camp back to San Antonio.
That’s cool AC. Do you have any old pics from that time to share?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s cool AC. Do you have any old pics from that time to share?
BH, I had so many pictures withheld from me by my ex-wife during an ugly divorce. I lost so many memorable pictures from the 2002, 2003 and 2010 training camps. The only picture I kept was a 2011 training camp picture of my youngest daughter and nephew in a picture with Stephen Jones back in July of 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

IMG-20240721-183841.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BH, I had so many pictures withheld from me by my ex-wife during an ugly divorce. I lost all of these memorable pictures at the 2002, 2003 and 2010 training camps. The only picture I kept was a 2011 training camp picture of my youngest daughter and nephew in a picture with Stephen Jones back in July of 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

IMG-20240721-183841.jpg
That’s awesome AC!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The first Cowboys training camp I attended was in Thousand Oaks in July 1980 when I first moved to California. Roger Staubach had just retired. I still got to see a lot of the great players. It was tough finding out when they were going to practice back then. It wasn’t like it is now. I showed up at the practice field and it was empty. I saw a couple of kids riding bikes in the area and asked them if they knew when the team was going to practice. They said they had practiced early in the morning and would be back out this afternoon. I waited around and started seeing fans showing up and soon after that, the players started walking to the field. That first training camp was an exciting experience. Definitely not near as fan friendly as the camps under Jerry. Camp is like attending a carnival these days.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I went ... probably 6 years in a row in Oxnard. The 1st year was the best and every year after that it went down hill. The reason it went downhill is the area kept growing. The 1st year the area which is houses today was the parking lot. It also had space for other stuff to be sold over there. It was where Jerry had his press conference. You could stay on the sides of either field. we were right up on the fence for the offense. We were right on top of them. Players would occasionally chit chat and they would definitely ham it up for all the loonies that would chant a players name after "Scoring," a training camp TD. It was a blast. My oldest and I would golf 18 holes in the morning, as there are 2 18 hole golf course right next to the training camp facility. I think it was hole 13 had to actually be altered because the training camp was on part of that hole.

Then the gradual changes stared coming and it got so bad you couldnt even have access to the field the offense was on because they had built a concrete fence 5ft from the field and had all those damn houses there. Parking sucked... then parking actually moved to a school. You had to park and get on a shuttle bus.

anyways, ME, the guy that absolutely loves the start of the season, Oxnard was 5 hour drive and I was still off from work... me, I wont even go anymore as it just sucks for me. If you havent been, it might not be bad for you. But when you know what it used to be like, it just sucked all the fun out of it for me. So, unfortunately, we just stay home now.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Texans have turned it around and I'm a bid fan cause they're doing things the right way. Funny how an org can fire their GM and suddenly become contenders two years removed from being in the cellar. At least we have continuity at the GM position and we're the most profitable woo hoo pop the champaign cork, we're champions of profit!!
bahahahahhahahah..... they are doing things right??? Yea, they lucked out and hit gold at the QB position. After that. most moves seem to work out. ,....smh.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Texans have turned it around cause they found a QB. They’ve had some great defenses but without a better QB which they used some previous 1st round picks they were worse than we were.

I can’t get behind a second team in Texas. I hate the fact I have most of their games broadcast on CBS instead of much better matchups.

The worst they are the more likely my local CBS affiliates won’t broadcast their game.

And their fans hate us like a divisional rival.
The Texans or any other nfl franchise except us and the Bungals, can chg the root cause of losing ie the gm. They get five years to mk deep playoff run or they’re fired. That was my point.

I guarantee you if Dak and CJ Stroud swapped teams, CJ Stroud would also fail to get us past the div round. Its about organization excellence top to bottom AND its all about the GM. They answer to the owner who can fire them.

ArtClink

Reaction score
bahahahahhahahah..... they are doing things right??? Yea, they lucked out and hit gold at the QB position. After that. most moves seem to work out. ,....smh.
My point is that the turning point is getting a great GM and we dont have that option. Laugh all you wont about another team having success but we are run by a guy who hasnt changed his model of management in 30 years regardless of the terrible results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Texans or any other nfl franchise except us and the Bungals, can chg the root cause of losing ie the gm. They get five years to mk deep playoff run or they’re fired. That was my point.

I guarantee you if Dak and CJ Stroud swapped teams, CJ Stroud would also fail to get us past the div round. Its about organization excellence top to bottom AND its all about the GM. They answer to the owner who can fire them.
While I agree our dysfunctional organization is our greatest obstacle to overcome and most GM’s have 5 years at best to generate some success, I’d still have liked our chances better with one of the more Elite QB’s this era.

Elite QB’s do have the ability to carry teams and the ability to have comeback and winning drives to win in playoffs. Something we’ve missed in the playoffs this era in several games which were close enough to win.

That said we have had several weaknesses in other areas and our QB has been enough to lead us to the playoffs and brink of more success.

But given the obstacles we have to overcome because of our leadership and other weaknesses it would be interesting to see what we could do with one of these Elite QB’s.

And that’s not a bash on Dak. There’s about 25 other teams in the NFL which could say same thing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I went ... probably 6 years in a row in Oxnard. The 1st year was the best and every year after that it went down hill. The reason it went downhill is the area kept growing. The 1st year the area which is houses today was the parking lot. It also had space for other stuff to be sold over there. It was where Jerry had his press conference. You could stay on the sides of either field. we were right up on the fence for the offense. We were right on top of them. Players would occasionally chit chat and they would definitely ham it up for all the loonies that would chant a players name after "Scoring," a training camp TD. It was a blast. My oldest and I would golf 18 holes in the morning, as there are 2 18 hole golf course right next to the training camp facility. I think it was hole 13 had to actually be altered because the training camp was on part of that hole.

Then the gradual changes stared coming and it got so bad you couldnt even have access to the field the offense was on because they had built a concrete fence 5ft from the field and had all those damn houses there. Parking sucked... then parking actually moved to a school. You had to park and get on a shuttle bus.

anyways, ME, the guy that absolutely loves the start of the season, Oxnard was 5 hour drive and I was still off from work... me, I wont even go anymore as it just sucks for me. If you havent been, it might not be bad for you. But when you know what it used to be like, it just sucked all the fun out of it for me. So, unfortunately, we just stay home now.
I've got family who lives in Oxnard. They have said the exact same thing as you. They used to go every year. Now, they just stay home since training camp in Oxnard has become 1/4th of what it used to be.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. I know you hate Jerry -- as do many of us -- but if Carolina hadn't been idiots and Houston had to settle for Bryce Young, they wouldn't be where they are. No GM can make Stroud average or Young a phenom.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It was a dump town compared to other TC sites. There’s nothing there.

We had 1st class hotels to stay at in Austin and San Antonio . Not to mention more choices for entertainment & eateries.
Sounds like you are just a cosmopolitan who looks down on "hick towns". I VASTLY prefer Wichita Falls to both that crap hole Austin and that lesser crap hole San Antonio.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Why do you think San Antonio was a strange choice? It’s in the heart of Dallas Cowboys fandom. I attended every padded practice and the support was strong. Jerry’s Training Camp opening celebrations were great!
Yeah, me too. Lived in SA one of those seasons and it was great! Huge Cowboy fanbase in San Antonio and Austin.

Might want to reconsider moving out there again if the Texans gain any more momentum with their team this year.

I understand the logic behind it back in the day, but I don’t think you’re going to gain any more fans now with the permanent out of Texas locations.

if they really wanted to be smart about the Americas team label, they should just move it somewhere new every year, but that would be a logistics nightmare for the players and coaches to have to set up a new ship every year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What I found strange about it was the practices were all held indoors. This started not long after Jimmy and Barry Switzer had said if they were going to have TC in Texas it would help to have it in the heat. I don’t share that view myself but it was what the coaches believed about 25 years ago.

When I say it was a marketing move, when Houston regained an NFL team in 2000, I believe Jerry felt as though his marketing fan grip on Texas might slip. It has since proven true with much of the Central and South Texas market now leaning toward the Texans.
BH, I can tell you who and why from South Texas are becoming Texans fans, but it would involve politics (which is a no no). Jerry would be smart to alternately move training camp to San Antonio.

Fmart322

Reaction score
It flew by for me too, which is surprising after the playoff debacle. Those usually lead to a long offseason. I don’t take the playoff losses as hard as I used to. I’ve become immune to them. With as little as we did this offseason and having to rely on a bunch of young players, including Mazi, I don’t see that special season coming. However, the Cowboys usually surprise when expectations are low. We’ll see if that holds true this season. By the way, I had a nightmare not long ago about that picture you posted years ago on the old FWST telegram board we were on. It was that one with a turd laying on a toilet seat. :confused:
That's funny. That turd is what we get in the playoffs.