Cowboys Tweets 11/14

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't really understand why they whistled the play dead when they were still moving forward.

You can't advance/push back a ball carrier not under his own volition.

Otherwise, a guy like Beasley would just get picked up and returned for a pick-6 on every play.

jday

Reaction score
Even Jerry and Stephen were hyping the guy up the wazoo this past offseason. Stephen even said Jaylon might be the best pick in that group.

Today, they aren't saying anything of course, but even they must be shocked at what they are seeing from him. Assuming they know what they are looking at.
I'm reminded of that old quote Jason Garrett is fond of bringing up: He wants his team to play in such manner than even if an alien floated down from space and had no idea what the point of football is, they'd still know a good team/player when they saw one without the benefit of knowing why. I honestly believe Jaylon has been so bad you wouldn't even need to know the point of the game to figure out that he wasn't helping the Cowboys cause in any conceivable way.

All of that said, I have witnessed a bit of an evolution over the course of the year with him; in the beginning he was allowing the action to come to him and for the most part made good tackles. The problem with that is by the time the action (such as a run play) got to him, it was after the runner had gobbled up 4 to 6 yards. Here lately he has been trying to guess the hole and guessing wrong. I'm not sure if that's progress or not, but at least he has figured out that he has to be more aggressive. Now he just needs to supplement that aggression with more film work so he will at least be making educated guesses.

Overall, I'm lumping him in with Taco. The Cowboys may still have some really good potential there, but it will be 2018 at the earliest before we see them scratch the surface.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Even Jerry and Stephen were hyping the guy up the wazoo this past offseason. Stephen even said Jaylon might be the best pick in that group.

Today, they aren't saying anything of course, but even they must be bewildered at what they are seeing from him. Assuming they know what they are looking at.

He is showing a shocking lack of instincts.
I am not sure they now a lot about what they are looking at was a bust pick and still is

Zman5

Reaction score
Well, the excuses are the guys ahead of him being injured. If Hitchens and Lee hadn't missed time he'd have barely played this season.

So unless there's a LB Store next to The Star you're kind of stuck with the guys on your bench.

Hitchens was injured 2 weeks before the season started. They knew before the first game, they needed someone to take his place . They obviously thought Jaylon could start and take Hitchens' place. That tells me they grossly misjudged what Jaylon could and could not do.

jday

Reaction score
Yep, he doesn't appear to be a student of the game.
You'd think he'd show a glimpse by now.
I'm certainly guilty of thinking that, but at the same time I'm not all that surprised he hasn't, in hindsight. The ugly truth that few fans seem to grasp is that very few players, regardless of position, hit the ground running, so-to-speak, when negotiating the transition from college to the pro's...it takes time, development, strength & conditioning for the majority to ascend and reach their potential and that rarely happens in their first year. Don't get me wrong...it does happen every year, but compared to how many players are drafted each year, the percentage who come to the game ready to start and contribute in a meaningful way is relatively small. To say he is a bust at this point is premature. He may still not reach his potential in 2018, but following the upcoming offseason, we should at the very least see some progress. I also suspect the Cowboys will be looking to draft a linebacker high to groom under Lee.

canters

Reaction score
The days of dynasties will be over once Brady retires. Too much parity and injury issues, much less the cap.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The days of dynasties will be over once Brady retires. Too much parity and injury issues, much less the cap.
Boring. Better to have teams people can root against.
Yup, that's part of the Cowboys appeal.

People don't only want to watch them win, but there are so many that want to watch them lose.
That's why they dominate the ratings.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'm certainly guilty of thinking that, but at the same time I'm not all that surprised he hasn't, in hindsight. The ugly truth that few fans seem to grasp is that very few players, regardless of position, hit the ground running, so-to-speak, when negotiating the transition from college to the pro's...it takes time, development, strength & conditioning for the majority to ascend and reach their potential and that rarely happens in their first year. Don't get me wrong...it does happen every year, but compared to how many players are drafted each year, the percentage who come to the game ready to start and contribute in a meaningful way is relatively small. To say he is a bust at this point is premature. He may still not reach his potential in 2018, but following the upcoming offseason, we should at the very least see some progress. I also suspect the Cowboys will be looking to draft a linebacker high to groom under Lee.

I grasp the transition difficulty just fine.
He's rarely where he's supposed to be... guesses wrong a lot... three steps in the wrong direction... fills the wrong gap.
A lot of that can be fixed in the film room. I'm rooting for him but he needs to be smarter.

Trust me. I'm looking forward to the ascention of his play. He has enough film on himself to improve now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Parity is garbage and a pied-eyed look upon football fans culture.
They think if every cities' team has a chance then fans will come, but this is a generational game with kids inheriting teams from their parents and parity confuses the flow.
Plus the fact that new fans aren't flocking in and the pipeline of talent is draining from CTE and concussion studies...

No. Parity is the last thing this league needs.