Cowboys "visiting" on signing Dalvin Cook

luckyman76

Reaction score
Style of running matters on play blocking as well. To say someone at his stage of career is automatically non-productive is an unfair stereotype. That just isn't true for all players or limiting as a maybe that applies. Most teams have a favored person to carry much of it's preferred role. Cook would be the power carrier and would easily elevate that role if added to the roster.
I didn't say Cook was unproductive. I actually made the argument that virtually no back was going to be successful as we are currently operating. To me this all goes back to the foolish argument about Derrick Henry. He still would have been running behind this OL with our blocking schemes, lack of movement or originality, and playcalling. Pollard in the past couple of years was a change of pace back that came in the game in uncertain situations and had breakout runs. Is Pollard washed? No, of course not but now he might have one good run a game. Why? He took over Zeke's role. Most of Pollard's runs are plays stuffed in the backfield for a loss. Why does no one talk about this? It is a clear sign we are predictable and run in predictable formations and downs with bad plays and simple blocking schemes.

I used to always watch the Shanahan teams run the Denver toss and always wondered why our running never matched up to that level. There was nothing really special about their backs but they always had ridiculous production because of wide open cutback lanes due to intricate pulling and movement. 49ers and son inherit the same thing. Intricate playcalling and blocking schemes to open holes. I imagine Pollard on SF would look a lot like CMC bursting through those holes. We had some years of success with Linehan's delayed draws out of the shotgun with DeMarco Murray and Zeke was used far differently in his early years before we decided to just run him through the line without any holes. Often, this year people have been surprised by Rico Dowdle's runs as the change of pace back simply because teams aren't expecting him. This isn't about backs, its about the blocking and playcalling/design. Teams called us out last year for being predictable. I think we very much have some of the same problems the Iggles have with believing we have superior talent and just not putting them in a position to win. That is obviously what changed with Ceedee from earlier in the year to now unstoppable. To me its mostly lazy playcalling. Early success in games because of scripted plays, go to sleep until 4th quarter, and then try to make it happen in the end. That is what happens in games where we don't blow teams out. It's not the road that causes that but good teams that watched our games and know exactly what we are going to do and when. We need to roll Dak out more as well. We do it for a little bit and then in tight games keep him the pocket.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cooks or no Cooks we still can’t block.

If we could block our current RBs would be producing much better.
Quit just using a made up pessimism for 'discussion.' Pollard is averaging 4.1 yards a carry, which is solid. You have no clue as to Cooks. And the Dallas offense is solid when all on the field. Spreading the load would expand potentials in a more spread field, even with the team being very pass oriented offense. Five yards out would be a lot stronger in the attack for a score. C'mon. Discussion is not at this stage, just spreading doubt.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I didn't say Cook was unproductive. I actually made the argument that virtually no back was going to be successful as we are currently operating. To me this all goes back to the foolish argument about Derrick Henry. He still would have been running behind this OL with our blocking schemes, lack of movement or originality, and playcalling. Pollard in the past couple of years was a change of pace back that came in the game in uncertain situations and had breakout runs. Is Pollard washed? No, of course not but now he might have one good run a game. Why? He took over Zeke's role. Most of Pollard's runs are plays stuffed in the backfield for a loss. Why does no one talk about this? It is a clear sign we are predictable and run in predictable formations and downs with bad plays and simple blocking schemes.

I used to always watch the Shanahan teams run the Denver toss and always wondered why our running never matched up to that level. There was nothing really special about their backs but they always had ridiculous production because of wide open cutback lanes due to intricate pulling and movement. 49ers and son inherit the same thing. Intricate playcalling and blocking schemes to open holes. I imagine Pollard on SF would look a lot like CMC bursting through those holes. We had some years of success with Linehan's delayed draws out of the shotgun with DeMarco Murray and Zeke was used far differently in his early years before we decided to just run him through the line without any holes. Often, this year people have been surprised by Rico Dowdle's runs as the change of pace back simply because teams aren't expecting him. This isn't about backs, its about the blocking and playcalling/design. Teams called us out last year for being predictable. I think we very much have some of the same problems the Iggles have with believing we have superior talent and just not putting them in a position to win. That is obviously what changed with Ceedee from earlier in the year to now unstoppable. To me its mostly lazy playcalling. Early success in games because of scripted plays, go to sleep until 4th quarter, and then try to make it happen in the end. That is what happens in games where we don't blow teams out. It's not the road that causes that but good teams that watched our games and know exactly what we are going to do and when. We need to roll Dak out more as well. We do it for a little bit and then in tight games keep him the pocket.
A good approach, but it seems to miss some potential as well as dominant features.

First, this offense is dominant in passing approach. It runs or doesn't succeed with the arm of Dak Presscott.

With in five yards, I don't care if the Pope is called in, that runner better be able to slam hard for short yardage. If the fullback had not fumbled his yard run, he might be enough of a pound to perform the need. Oh, Cook can handle the need...and Smith and Martin are plenty capable of that area of blocking.

Pollard has only 1 100 yard game all year. He'll get you about 60. All other better get you 60 also.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pollard is a couple inches taller but that is basically the only difference between Cooks and Pollard.
There is absolutely no Real reason for this team to have two Tony Pollards, we already have one.
We need a big back to get rolling in this offense with some fresh legs and scour the waiver wire all you want, but your not going to find anything with higher ceiling than what we have on roster right now, its just the facts.
Luepke, Dowdle, next man up from practice squad if need be, just saying the RB depth is not as doom and gloom as some are making this out to be.
Disagree...he's been a serious pounder to the tune of All Pro 4 times. He still totes strong and he's not running for Homecoming Queen.

Aven8

Reaction score
SaRoderick Thompson could be one of those out of nowhere RB’s that carry us to the SB

Xeven

Reaction score
This is a waste without significant run blocker improvements. You can’t run if your legs are smashed just as Dak hands you the ball.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is a waste without significant run blocker improvements. You can’t run if your legs are smashed just as Dak hands you the ball.
Oh, I think that Smith and Martin can handle blocking for running the ball beyond a 'rooks' level, myself.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dalvin just signed with a true contender. The Baltimore Ravens!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Should have claimed him...one game check...I mean are you seriously gonna let 400,000 stand between you and adding a decent RB? He went unclaimed...Now he is in Baltimore...exactly what the Ravens needed. Should have claimed him....just to keep him from Baltimore.