Cowboys "visiting" on signing Dalvin Cook

Jipper

Reaction score
Doing some research and listening to a few analysts out there this doesn’t sound like a good move, sounds like he’s not as good as dowdle in terms of between the tackles or pass blocking; might be a better pass catcher but not the complementary back that pollard needs.

Sounds more like a name than an option

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If he can be added to the PS as insurance I'm all for it. He looks like he's hitting the wall, but if we lose RB he's a decent insurance policy.

My gut thinks he'll end up with the RB-depleted Ravens, but with their record they're at the bottom of the waiver wire. He'll have to get by everyone else.
Cook might consider reuniting with former Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski in Cleveland for a playoff run as Kareem Hunt has done next to nothing for months

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The team likely “visits” on every vet player released in season. Like Stephen says, they always talk about the available players.

This is just fish being fish and fishing for clicks.
Something I found interesting that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is that Cook also restructured his contract to forfeit remaining guarantees.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think it's going to be the Cowboys or the Ravens but the Browns make a lot of sense also

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-has-great-respect-for-four-time-pro-bowl-rb/
Dalvin Cook landing spots
Dallas Cowboys
Dallas was one of the teams speculated to initially land Cook upon his release from Minnesota, so it'd make sense for them to re-enter the fray now that he's to be had again. That's particularly true with the Cowboys running game not exactly finding a solid rhythm this year with Tony Pollard leading the way. Dallas is averaging just 4.1 yards per carry this season and ranks outside the top 10 in the league in rushing yards per game. Cook could come in and be a complement to Pollard in a similar fashion to the backfield duo they had with Ezekiel Elliott.

Last edited:

luckyman76

Reaction score
The problem I see with Cook is that we won't block for him any more than we don't block for Pollard. Add in the fact that he doesn't know the playbook or blocking schemes and you have to feel you are getting a less athletic player than Rico who will make critical mistakes in the playoffs. Cook needs touches that we don't give Pollard. I don't see how that works out. This is a gigantic weakness in our entire team we need to fix this offseason. If we falter, for me, this is a fireable offense for McCarthy for how this has consistently gone downhill. I agree Zeke was washed years ago but this OL blocking and playcalling is pure trash and it appears when it matters in the playoffs. JJ's teams didn't have this problem. Aikman wasn't winning MVPs with 400 yard performances and 40TDs because we were running over people.like Baltimore and SF. Run the ball, stop the run. Who does that consistently, the teams that win consistently.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The problem I see with Cook is that we won't block for him any more than we don't block for Pollard. Add in the fact that he doesn't know the playbook or blocking schemes and you have to feel you are getting a less athletic player than Rico who will make critical mistakes in the playoffs. Cook needs touches that we don't give Pollard. I don't see how that works out. This is a gigantic weakness in our entire team we need to fix this offseason. If we falter, for me, this is a fireable offense for McCarthy for how this has consistently gone downhill. I agree Zeke was washed years ago but this OL blocking and playcalling is pure trash and it appears when it matters in the playoffs. JJ's teams didn't have this problem. Aikman wasn't winning MVPs with 400 yard performances and 40TDs because we were running over people.like Baltimore and SF. Run the ball, stop the run. Who does that consistently, the teams that win consistently.
Style of running matters on play blocking as well. To say someone at his stage of career is automatically non-productive is an unfair stereotype. That just isn't true for all players or limiting as a maybe that applies. Most teams have a favored person to carry much of it's preferred role. Cook would be the power carrier and would easily elevate that role if added to the roster.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Cook immediately makes this team better. And moves Pollard back into the change of pace back he is. It gives us someone at the goal line who can punch it in as well. I am 100 percent behind this move.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Style of running matters on play blocking as well. To say someone at his stage of career is automatically non-productive is an unfair stereotype. That just isn't true for all players or limiting as a maybe that applies. Most teams have a favored person to carry much of it's preferred role. Cook would be the power carrier and would easily elevate that role if added to the roster.
Cooks or no Cooks we still can’t block.

If we could block our current RBs would be producing much better.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Something I found interesting that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is that Cook also restructured his contract to forfeit remaining guarantees.
he's such a team player, your brother stephen jones is loving these numbers!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cook immediately makes this team better. And moves Pollard back into the change of pace back he is. It gives us someone at the goal line who can punch it in as well. I am 100 percent behind this move.
they don't see this though

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
it'll take him 2 days to learn this play book. Play breaks down, and NOBODY is never open, get open dak will find you, short passes to the flats as a defender is near you, and you'll take a big hit and gain 1 yard, inside run inside run inside run, shotgun for everything. Tolbert comes in it's a run! Easy!!!!

phildadon86

Reaction score
they don't see this though
They think because he sucked for the Jets behind Breece freaking Hall that he is no good. Their OL is in shambles, they havent had a serviceable QB all season, and look at Joe Flacco right now. Anyone saying someone sucked on the Jets so they will suck anywhere needs their head examined.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They think because he sucked for the Jets behind Breece freaking Hall that he is no good. Their OL is in shambles, they havent had a serviceable QB all season, and look at Joe Flacco right now. Anyone saying someone sucked on the Jets so they will suck anywhere needs their head examined.
you can totally drop the mic anytime now sir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Pollard is a couple inches taller but that is basically the only difference between Cooks and Pollard.
There is absolutely no Real reason for this team to have two Tony Pollards, we already have one.
We need a big back to get rolling in this offense with some fresh legs and scour the waiver wire all you want, but your not going to find anything with higher ceiling than what we have on roster right now, its just the facts.
Luepke, Dowdle, next man up from practice squad if need be, just saying the RB depth is not as doom and gloom as some are making this out to be.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think the biggest upside is he's a vet with fresh legs that can take some load off Pollard. Keep in mind TP admitted a few weeks ago he was just starting to regain his old form.
Cook is not coming here, this notion should be dropped.

slick325

Reaction score
Before he gets on the field for any team, he'd need to pick up the offense, the protections and maintain his fundamentals, specifically ball security.

I wouldn't be mad if the Cowboys add him to the 53 or PS. Probably won't happen, but I'd be on board.