Cowboys "visiting" on signing Dalvin Cook

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
This should be a no-brainer but of course the rocket scientists in charge know better and would rather sign a nobody off the street.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It has long been stated that to win in the playoffs, a team needed to be balanced on running and passing the ball.

Dallas at present is very one dimenstional...

They do have reason to believe they can do so. Prescott is one of the elite quarterbacks in the league. He is fourth in yards and leads the league in touchdowns. While Lamb has been the obvious leader in his receiving corps with 1,651 yards, second only to Tyreek Hill in the NFL, Brandin Cooks, Jake Ferguson, and Michael Gallup have combined for 1,728, so Lamb is far from a one-man show. He’s just the biggest star. Cooks is especially valuable in scoring with seven TDs compared to Lamb’s ten.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ak-prescott-ceedee-lamb-mike-mccarthy-pollard

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If Cook is looking for a team he may get the most touches on, I would think it would be in Dallas, not Baltimore. He can/would fit into the conversation for RB1 regardless of his play this year

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
You realize Breece Hall is really good. No one expected Dalvin Cook to beat him out.
As I said before, yes, I realize that. I shouldn't have said start though, you're correct, simply that with his pedigree he should have had more success and a higher load, especially given the QB situation there.

If he's clearly better than Dowdle I say try it but I'm really not hearing many analysts saying that based on this year's performance.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The team likely “visits” on every vet player released in season. Like Stephen says, they always talk about the available players.

This is just fish being fish and fishing for clicks.
I think this is where facts sit at present:

McCarthy has done some good things, and if his team wins on Sunday as expected, he will have coached them to three consecutive 12-win seasons. That is praiseworthy, but he also has some significant flaws. His game and clock management at the ends of halves is at times maddening, and his stubbornness is another serious irritant. Establishing the run is a concept that has been convincingly discredited by better football minds than mine, yet McCarthy still clings to it. With Prescott, Lamb, and company, he needs to adjust his thinking to better reflect the modern realities of the game. Instead of trying to have balance on first downs, he needs to focus instead on what is the most likely play to find success. That is throwing the ball. Prescott completes passes at a 68.4% rate, which is what they need to lean on. A lot of the completions on first down would set up second and short, and that is when the run might be more efficient. They even have a nice insurance policy should a first down pass fall incomplete, as Prescott’s completion percentage on third down is 68.8%, making it still very likely they will get another set of downs even if they don’t get anything with a first down throw.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ak-prescott-ceedee-lamb-mike-mccarthy-pollard

While it is likely to be harder to do so, Dallas also plays its best when it gets a lead. That also sets up a time when the run can be more useful as it can also burn clock, an idea that McCarthy seemed to have forgotten on the last scoring possession last Saturday. Getting ahead will almost always come via the air. If they do, then once again the run can become more important.

It they don’t have a lead, they have no real choice but to be pass heavy. It is clearly the way to get points.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think this is where facts sit at present:

McCarthy has done some good things, and if his team wins on Sunday as expected, he will have coached them to three consecutive 12-win seasons. That is praiseworthy, but he also has some significant flaws. His game and clock management at the ends of halves is at times maddening, and his stubbornness is another serious irritant. Establishing the run is a concept that has been convincingly discredited by better football minds than mine, yet McCarthy still clings to it. With Prescott, Lamb, and company, he needs to adjust his thinking to better reflect the modern realities of the game. Instead of trying to have balance on first downs, he needs to focus instead on what is the most likely play to find success. That is throwing the ball. Prescott completes passes at a 68.4% rate, which is what they need to lean on. A lot of the completions on first down would set up second and short, and that is when the run might be more efficient. They even have a nice insurance policy should a first down pass fall incomplete, as Prescott’s completion percentage on third down is 68.8%, making it still very likely they will get another set of downs even if they don’t get anything with a first down throw.

While it is likely to be harder to do so, Dallas also plays its best when it gets a lead. That also sets up a time when the run can be more useful as it can also burn clock, an idea that McCarthy seemed to have forgotten on the last scoring possession last Saturday. Getting ahead will almost always come via the air. If they do, then once again the run can become more important.

It they don’t have a lead, they have no real choice but to be pass heavy. It is clearly the way to get points.
The worst thing to do would be for McCarthy to keep dialing up early runs, especially if the first few get stuffed. Should Pollard or another back start finding early down success in the opening stages, that would of course change things. But if a couple of first-down carries get stuffed in the first quarter, then either McCarthy has to put the ball in Prescott’s hands, or the quarterback himself has to audible to passes.

Mannix

Reaction score
We couldn't sign him if we were the only team in the NFL....Chuckles would ask him to play minimum wage.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If he can be added to the PS as insurance I'm all for it. He looks like he's hitting the wall, but if we lose RB he's a decent insurance policy.

My gut thinks he'll end up with the RB-depleted Ravens, but with their record they're at the bottom of the waiver wire. He'll have to get by everyone else.

ICP

Reaction score
So this clearly means no!!!! He's going to go to a tour, we will have interest, but will lose him to the eagles lol
Sounds par for the course, hope it ends up differently but it looks like all smoke and no fire from what we have seen in the past

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If our problem in the run game is poor blocking, I don't see how he helps.
I thought I recalled him being a hard runner with a nose for the end zone, or at least better than who we've got and ,,, but I don't see him wanting to come to Dallas where the running blocking is abysmal anyway.

Redline360

Reaction score
Meh dubbing how I feel on this. Cooks is washed and just a name now

However

Depending on Dowdell injuries and where he's at it doesn't hurt to being him in

However

Our OL has struggled nearly all year in the run game so he's gonna end up being useless as well

J-man

Reaction score
I would hope so, there is no way he shouldn't be brought in for a test drive. Our running game is trash any and all available RB's (especially those of his caliber) should be brought in for a look see.