Game Day Cowboys vs Bengals post game thread

DCB4Liggee

Reaction score
I didn't like the way we finished. I hope that's addressed next week.

Great win. Awesome for 2 and half quarters then kind of let the foot off the gas pedal.
To me that's another case of Garrett over coaching. He is/was criticized on his time management so now when they have a lead like that, they go super conservative. I don't necessarily think I have a huge problem with how they handled the second half on offense.Run the ball, run down the clock, don't force the rookie into a mistake. But the defense played a little lax the beginning of the second half. Mo had another solid performance tho. Proud of him.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
I hate the way we finished as well. Love the win but wanted to see complete and utter domination and destruction of the bengals. The kind that gets guys fired, players feeling hopeless and their lives spiraling out of control into hopeless dispair

^We're saving that for Pittsburgh.;)

DCB4Liggee

Reaction score
This game had very much a feel to it like a game from 2014. For three quarters, this game reminded me very much of the December game against the Colts. The Cowboys, facing a team expected to be in the playoffs, and considered one of the better teams in the AFC, looked to be up against a formidable opponent.

And, from the opening whistle, the Bengals were absolutely no match for the Cowboys.

The offense took the field, and showed little regard for the Bengals. Whether it was through the air, or on the ground, the Cowboy offense looked at a pretty good Bengal defense, and treated them like a speed bump. The ease by which they moved the ball was startling, the efficiency of the offense was remarkable, and the outcome was decisive. The offensive line looked like they were adults playing against children. They consistently moved the line of scrimmage, opened up huge craters in their defense, and regularly got to the second level. They put their stamp on the game early, and didn't let up until the game was in hand.

The defensive effort, though, was a pleasant surprise. The line did an outstanding job of generating pressure in this game. In the second half, they did a better job of finishing the deal, notching three sacks, but in the first half, Andy Dalton was uncomfortable, and had to scramble from the pocket quite frequently. The secondary held up as well, with Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr doing an outstanding job of rendering A.J. Green inconsequential in this game. For reference, Green torched one Darrelle Revis for 12 catches and 180 yards and a touchdown. Today, he had a very quiet 4 catches for 50 yards, and no touchdowns. Considering how reviled Carr and Claiborne have been by a large segment of the fanbase (I have had my moments in lamenting their play), this was quite a performance.

I was a little disappointed that they let their guard down late, but this shouldn't obscure another outstanding performance by the offense, and a very strong effort by the defensive line. Next week will be a significant challenge in Green Bay, a place that the Cowboys have won only once in their history. They will be giving Brett Favre his Hall of Fame ring at halftime, so the crowd will be especially amped up. Should be a lot of fun.

Other notes on the game:
  • Another week, another strong, efficient performance by Dak Prescott. He was strong in the pocket, and again threw the ball well. He had a number of very nice throws into relatively tight windows, and has really improved at not throwing his receivers into big hits. His ball fake on the run down by the goal line that he took for a touchdown was outstanding. He did hold the ball a little too long when he got hit by Carlos Dunlap and fumbled, but all in all, another terrific day for him. I couldn't be more impressed.
  • Ezekiel Elliott was terrific again today, and gave his critics what they asked for - a big play. He exploded through a huge hole, and left the Bengal defense in the dust. He was quick to the hole, and ran physically again. The sky is the limit for him, and the Cowboys are lucky to have him.
  • The offensive line looked to be pretty pissed at the Bengal defense, and took it out on them. Watching Leary, Frederick and Martin consistently bulldoze Domata Peko, Geno Atkins and Pat Sims was a site to see. Leary/Frederick/Martin were the Bermuda Triangle - those three made Bengal defenders disappear.
  • DeMarcus Lawrence didn't register a tackle, or appear on the stat sheet, but he had a tremendous impact on this game. He had numerous pressures in his series of plays, and really picked up the intensity of his linemates. Terrell McClain benefitted tremendously from Lawrence's efforts. McClain has been the best player on the DL this year, and is playing really well.
  • Cedric Thornton played his best game today - very active off the snap.
  • Terrance Williams played a very strong game today. I hope that his shoulder is not a lingering thing, and am glad that he made it back into the game.
  • Who would have thought that the Cowboys would lose the time of possession battle and the turnover battle, and win convincingly?
  • The defense today looked a lot like they did in 2014 - swarming to the ball, hitting with intensity, and playing with an espirit-de-corps.
  • The team has really come together, and has a lot of momentum going. The young players - Prescott, Elliott, Maliek Collins, Anthony Brown - have infused this team with a lot of enthusiasm, exuberance and playmaking.
This was a terrific effort today. 4-1, and in first place in the division. Can't wait to see how they respond to a tough environment in Green Bay.
Love your assessment of the game. Going into it my worry wasn't if we could put up points. My concern was could the defense hold up and contain AJ Green. And they did just that. I watched that whole entire game, as always, and can't for the life of me remember any other name of any other receiver for the Bengals. Anyways, definitely thought this would be the toughest game of the season thus far with the dominant front seven of the Cincinnati defense. I agree with you, they were man-handled. With ease. That says a lot about this offensive line. Lastly, I love the pressure the front four got on the QB tonight. We will need that and more against a healthy Rodgers in Lambeau. Granted our defense is an improved bunch, he torched us last year on one wheel. 1st in the division, poised and efficient rookie QB, sensational rookie RB whose getting better every week, dominant offensive line who has also gotten better every week, on a 4 game win streak without our starting QB AND without our starting WR AND without one of our defensive leaders in Scandrick...what more could you ask for from this bunch? Off to a tough one in Lambeau....Go Cowboys!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
To me that's another case of Garrett over coaching. He is/was criticized on his time management so now when they have a lead like that, they go super conservative. I don't necessarily think I have a huge problem with how they handled the second half on offense.Run the ball, run down the clock, don't force the rookie into a mistake. But the defense played a little lax the beginning of the second half. Mo had another solid performance tho. Proud of him.

They did run the ball....into 8-10 man fronts which is why we got shut down because the best way to allow Cinci into the game is to throw INTs esp pick sixes. So with a 28 pt lead you roll it back then make the Bengals use 5-6 mins to get a score....if they can. Who cares if they score 3-14 pts when you're up by 28 with a quarter left?

DCB4Liggee

Reaction score
They did run the ball....into 8-10 man fronts which is why we got shut down because the best way to allow Cinci into the game is to throw INTs esp pick sixes. So with a 28 pt lead you roll it back then make the Bengals use 5-6 mins to get a score....if they can. Who cares if they score 3-14 pts when you're up by 28 with a quarter left?
No I get that. I understand the concept. That's why I said I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Run the ball, run down the clock. I get it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
No I get that. I understand the concept. That's why I said I don't necessarily have a problem with that. Run the ball, run down the clock. I get it.

That's what gives them the points. We'd have played it differently if down a score. That's why I don't get the hyperbole by some.

Reactions: CWR

tyke1doe

Reaction score
CuW7QS8XYAA2U0S
:laugh:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Really? You comparing the Bengals front 7 vs the 49ers? LOL!!!!!!!!!
Learn football. I'm comparing 100+ AGAIN with Leary in......LOL!!!!!!....whatever.

Weak. BENGALS front seven had 28 hung on them..

Next, junior.........

CWR

Reaction score
This is the first game Ive taken the family to in 3 years. I was horse by the end of the first quarter lol. It was complete and utter domination. I have no problem with how we finished either. Call it letting up if you must. But we were conservative and we protected the win. All in all it was an amazing atmosphere, really felt like Dak and Zeke have brought a ton of excitement back into this franchise. As far as the games Ive seen in person the only time I can recall it being any louder was when Emmitt broke the record.

Only 2 Bengals fans in my area were right in front of me and although they NEVER had a chance to make any noise they were pretty nice guys. Had to give them a sympathy pat on the shoulder as they walked out during the end of the third. Sorry fellas, but not sorry. Thats a tough team we bullied today. 4-1 and first place in the division has been well earned.