Game Day *** Cowboys vs Buccaneers post game thread***

johnboy94

Reaction score
Feels awesome to be the NFC EAST champs!!! However, this offense needs to get clicking. Weren't world beaters before Indy but we were improving and moving the ball.

Which is why I play most of the starters next week and try to get the offense on track!
I agree with this. I would like to see Zeke get some rest though. I feel he's been a little overworked past 2 games.

Reactions: CWR

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Feels awesome to be the NFC EAST champs!!! However, this offense needs to get clicking. Weren't world beaters before Indy but we were improving and moving the ball.

Which is why I play most of the starters next week and try to get the offense on track!
I agree with playing the starters, but they won't. We never do in this situation. We'll sit the starters then be cold and rusty for the playoff game, as usual.

Reactions: CWR

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I'll give it up to Winston. After Gregory crushed him and made Jameis cough up the ball, he got his butt up and tried to make a play until DLaw buried him with a block. Many prima donna QBs wouldn't have made 1/2 the effort.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The offense certainly didn't perform lights-out, but I honestly was more disappointed in the defense. Yes, they got the 2 turnovers (only 1 of which the defense forced), but Tampa was able to move the ball almost without impunity. And giving up a long TD drive just before the half and the end of the game reminded me of the defense of the past - predicated on a bend, but don't break philosophy. It's the kind of philosophy that even Romo couldn't overcome in the 2014 playoffs.
The offense didn't give the defense much time to rest, if that makes you feel better. As for the second (unforced) turnover, that may have been caused simply because Gregory was bearing down on him, scaring him into dropping the ball.

JustChip

Reaction score
The offense didn't give the defense much time to rest, if that makes you feel better. As for the second (unforced) turnover, that may have been caused simply because Gregory was bearing down on him, scaring him into dropping the ball.

I don't think the offense caused the defense to get tired, at least not in the 1st half. TB had 3 drives to start the game which comprised of 7 plays for 64 yards and 2:45, 9 plays for 41 yards and 5:10, and 14 plays for 71 yards and 7:22. The offense only had 1 drive opportunity in all that time which they drove for a TD. And like I said, the defense gave up the TDs before the half and end of game too easily.

I know the broadcast team commented on that with Gregory, but if you look at the hand-off, it was high and not in the center of the RB's body; it was almost in his armpit.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The only player I would rest next week is Zeke. Despite next weeks game being meaningless we can’t afford to look like crap. We’re not playing real good football right now. Hate to say it but the Cowboys have one and done written all over them. Our redzone offense continues to struggle and our defense is starting to show cracks.

I play them all for a drive. If they play poorly, I play them for another drive.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think the offense caused the defense to get tired, at least not in the 1st half. TB had 3 drives to start the game which comprised of 7 plays for 64 yards and 2:45, 9 plays for 41 yards and 5:10, and 14 plays for 71 yards and 7:22. The offense only had 1 drive opportunity in all that time which they drove for a TD. And like I said, the defense gave up the TDs before the half and end of game too easily.

I know the broadcast team commented on that with Gregory, but if you look at the hand-off, it was high and not in the center of the RB's body; it was almost in his armpit.
I agree, it was poor placement, but he might have concentrated more on adjusting, had he not known Randy was trucking toward him. I wasn't in his head, so I don't know. I'm just saying it's possible.

Are you saying we had one drive in the first half that took 15:17? I'm sure you're not, so I must be misunderstanding.

JustChip

Reaction score
I agree, it was poor placement, but he might have concentrated more on adjusting, had he not known Randy was trucking toward him. I wasn't in his head, so I don't know. I'm just saying it's possible.

Are you saying we had one drive in the first half that took 15:17? I'm sure you're not, so I must be misunderstanding.

You certainly can be right on the 2nd fumble. I guess my point is it's not what I would normally classify as a "forced" fumble. The 1st one by Gregory definitely falls into that category.

No, I'm not saying the Cowboys had one drive in the 1st half for 15:17. TB had 3 successive drives to start the game comprising in total 31 plays, 176 yards, and 15:17 in clock time. The 1st and 3rd drives yielded FGs so, I guess you could say the defense did it's job in limiting the damage. And the 2nd drive was the one with the fumble and Smith TD. The only time the Dallas offense had the ball from the start of the game to the end of TB's 3rd drive (because of the fumble TD return) was after the initial TB drive and they did what they were supposed to do - drive it for a TD. My point is the defense had 3 opportunities to limit TB's ToP and did a less than stellar job - that's a big contributor of why they got tired, if indeed they did. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I play them all for a drive. If they play poorly, I play them for another drive.

This is the worst playoff team the Cowboys have had since the 2003 season. The offense is crap. Today’s performance isn’t going to get it done in the playoffs. The redzone problems have been consistent all year and now the defense is starting to show cracks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You certainly can be right on the 2nd fumble. I guess my point is it's not what I would normally classify as a "forced" fumble. The 1st one by Gregory definitely falls into that category.

No, I'm not saying the Cowboys had one drive in the 1st half for 15:17. TB had 3 successive drives to start the game comprising in total 31 plays, 176 yards, and 15:17 in clock time. The 1st and 3rd drives yielded FGs so, I guess you could say the defense did it's job in limiting the damage. And the 2nd drive was the one with the fumble and Smith TD. The only time the Dallas offense had the ball from the start of the game to the end of TB's 3rd drive (because of the fumble TD return) was after the initial TB drive and they did what they were supposed to do - drive it for a TD. My point is the defense had 3 opportunities to limit TB's ToP and did a less than stellar job - that's a big contributor of why they got tired, if indeed they did. Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.
I got ya now. :thumbup:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is the worst playoff team the Cowboys have had since the 2003 season. Today’s performance isn’t going to get it done in the playoffs. The redzone problems have been consistent all year and now the defense is starting to show cracks.

The Tampa Bay offense is actually decent, averaging 24.6 ppg. Our defense held them under that average, scored a TD and set up another. Even the Colts were held under their average by this defense.

I think it's the reverse of previous seasons where the offense could average in the 20s and the defense was so bad that everyone expected more out of the offense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Tampa Bay offense is actually decent, averaging 24.6 ppg. Our defense held them under that average, scored a TD and set up another. Even the Colts were held under their average by this defense.

I think it's the reverse of previous seasons where the offense could average in the 20s and the defense was so bad that everyone expected more out of the offense.

I don’t put a lot of weight in averages. I’ve seen a number of missed tackles by the defense the past two weeks. The two turnovers won us the game. Tampa has lost games all season by turning the ball over. We can’t count on turnovers every week to win games because we don’t get many turnovers. It’s going to be tough to get past the wildcard round with this offense unless the defense plays great. If the defense doesn’t play well we’re going to lose. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties.

If we mail it in next week the Giants will kick our ace. I noticed Garrett didn’t have his usual smile on his face after the game. He knows the team isn’t going to win many games playing like they did today. We can’t pull away from anyone. We allowed Tampa to pull within 7 and have an opportunity at an onside kick.

Last edited: