Game Day ***Cowboys vs Bucs post game thread***

Wizarus

Reaction score
Garrett is indefensible. Coaches don't lose 7 straight these days and keep their job, even if their star QB goes down. You can't blame the schedule, outside of the Patriots they were all pretty winnable, and even the Patriots showed weaknesses that we didn't capitalize on. Can't blame the division, this is the worst division in the NFC and tied for the worst division in the league. Dez came back, the QB is good enough to win, we have a stable RB now, and holding your opponent to 10 points should win you the game for anyone but the Cowboys. Why can't we win against a team below .500?

It's been all but confirmed that he brings nothing to the table on Sunday, in fact, he's proven himself to be a liability due to poor game management skills. The question is does he bring anything to the table at all, since now it's been confirmed that players like Beasley aren't listening to him anymore?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Well last season he got no credit for this team being good to begin with so it should come as no surprise that some don't want to give him blame for them sucking as well. The offense sucks.......but he doesn't coach it. Special teams sucks. He doesn't coach that. The GM had some miscues this offseason.....he's not the GM. The defense sucks.....he's not the defensive coach.

what is his responsibility then. Seems like a good gig

DandyDon52

Reaction score

6 MIL A year to clap and pat butts, throw chal flags, call timeouts do pc, and come up with his genuis
gameplans, playbook, and his sayings he likes to repeat.

6 MIL A YEAR !! Pretty good deal for a great coach like ol JG

Get ready for 4-5 more years just like this one.

Gaede

Reaction score

No kidding. He is the head coach. If he has literally zero impact on all 'three phases' of the football team, what exactly does he do? What discernible impact does he have on the team? How do you hold someone accountable who apparently has no actual role?

Game management? Terrible. Personnel decisions? Hello Weeden. Motivation? OK, I'll give you that the team never appears to lay down, but conversly, they never seem to go all out.

Isn't it funny we originally hired Garrett as an offensive protege and QB guy. And yet, we've cycled through 3 offensive coordinators in the past 4 years due to the ineffectiveness of his own offense, and are in this drought because of inability to accurately judge our back QB talent

canters

Reaction score
for the first time this year, I now feel that there is a chance Garrett gets fired. Not predicting it, but saying there is a chance. If we finish 2-14 or 3-13, or even 4-12, I say he is 50/50 to be gone.

khiladi

Reaction score
What argument are you referring to? I don't know if i'm being misunderstood or what. I never said "one game" was a success. My original STATEMENT was I don't recall many teams having success without their #1 receiver or #1 quarterback. I couldn't even think of the last time I had even seen that and couldn't think of any examples. And you guys keep combating that with other garbage teams like the 49ers or the Jags. Okay and what? They suck too so what? You guys are upset that instead of winning 1 game we won 0? That's also unacceptable.

You know, because of qualifying for the playoffs...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pittsburgh lost their #1 QB for many games along with their #1 RB for the season and are still leading the wildcard race in the AFC. And Dallas has had its #1 WR for three weeks now and we lost all three. In fact, we've had everyone but Romo for many of these games and have lost every one. Aside from QB, we've been pretty healthy across the board.

Pittsburgh's offense is far deeper and better than ours. Deangelo Williams was having a better than Leveon Bell who some believe is the best running back in the league.

If the argument is that the Steelers are a better team than us then you have no argument from me. Far deeper at receiver and running back than we are.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I didn't say look how awesome Seattle is.

I said I wish we played with the same kind of heart they do. Say what you want about Seattle but nobody is questioning their effort or focus or leadership or what's going on in their locker.

I'm looking at you Dallas cowboys

Thats fair! I think we could definately use some improvement there. I also think winning masks alot of issues.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Watching the Seahawks and Cardinals is incredibly painful.

For instance, Seattle is not a great offensive football team, yet they scheme a big play every here and again to compliment a generally stout defense.

They may lose tonight, but at least there is
some effort to create a mismatch. Our offense is the worst I've ever seen, including the Quincy Carter days.

Yesterdays game was like watching world league football.

Dallas' offense looked no better than a lost, rookie QB-led Tampa offense.

Pathetic..................that game was painful to watch.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Well... Went to the game live.. My expectations were low and Dallas didn't disappoint.. Cowboy fans really outnumbered Buc fans.. Had one annoying drunk Cowboys fan that would just scream at the top of his lungs lets go defense.for 4 quarters .. Sometimes when even the defense wasn't on the field..Other cowboy fans were even
Telling him to change his tune ... This was the first Cowboys game I have seen at the bucs that they lost .. The Buc fans were starting to leave after the 2nd pick late in the game ... Most around me were like .. Oh well that's game.. Then a couple cowboy fans said relax.. The boys find ways to lose late in games ... Pretty sad.. I actually felt it as well .. I remember telling my wife ( a bucs fan who was with me) saying I don't know but this feels like a 10-6 loss after that pick ... Ugggh ... I only said to make her relax and enjoy the rest of the game ... Low and behold ...
I cheered when Winston fumbled ..Buc fans didn't understand the defensive holding call as Winston was already committed to running at that point but of course they took it and cheered ... One of the fans next to us called the Winston naked bootleg before they even lined up ... Couldn't believe how true it was ... It's like the defense didn't even consider the possibility ..
Then the worst attempt at a catch by Dez Bryant .. And the obvious pass interference ... Every bucs fan in our area thought that was it .. Cowboys are getting the ball on the goaline .. They only showed the replay for a split second then quickly stopped .. To change over to just his catch and nothing prior .. The fans were stunned .. The pirate ship cannons just to the left and behind us were going off
Local news reports and radio talk shows even said that was pass interference however including John Lynch they said Dez made a horrible effort to catch or even flop hard ...

Overall a boring game.. An even worse loss .... What a waste of an afternoon

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yes, I had planned to go to this game, the Dolphins game next week and was considering going to the Thanksgiving game but with the crap they been playing like I just can't justify spending the money.

It is crazy, first series we come out, look like we might move the ball but old reliable Wittens throws in the patented false start giving us a tough conversion. McFadden almost gets the first on a nice screen but comes up just short. I thought he could have made it but that would be a little nitpicky. Lord knows we don't have to look hard to find negatives.

Defense produces a quick three and out and Mincey forces Winston into a Crawford sack. That's how we like to see the defense start. Nice punt return by Beasley gives us nice field position and we start our first scoring drive. Martin had a great pancake on McCoy in pass protection. Cassel is looking good, hitting different receivers and getting Dez invovled early. We get to the 16 yard line...and the announcers tell us the Bucs are the worst defense inside the red zone. Of course that is a jinx. A throwaway, a busted screen that fooled no one and then a sack when McFadden fails to see the delayed blitz and doubles up on a block inside, letting Alexander run free. Of course, after moving the ball with a mixture, we just automatically going pass, pass, pass. It never seems to fail. We kick the FG and take a lead.

So what has been the bugaboo of this defense this year, and really for a long time? Whenever we score, whether it's a quick TD or a long drive that ends in a FG, it always seem that the defense just gives it right back up. Bucs come out, and start running the ball right down our throats in the middle of the defense. Bucs get into FG range and defense stiffens with Claiborne makling a nice break on the ball to set the Bucs up for a FG. So the lead is gone just like that, but at least not a TD.

Rod Smith returns and gives us a decent field position. A screen to Lucky goes nowhere, then a nice stretch run of 7 by McFadden and a great throw to Witten. Big gain. The line seems to be moving the Bucs d line at will. Short yardage and Bucs load up, Witten doesn't block the guy ahead of him and goes to second level, McFadden doesn't have a chance. Lucky Bailey bounces a long one in off the goal post. So promising yet as always, something to ruin the drive. I definitely think Romo checks to a pass on the third down...Bucs in man coverage.

Claiborne gives up a big pass interference call, which honestly sucks because he did turn and face the ball and play the ball. It was a short throw and Claiborne makes contact on the receiver. Tank Lawrence misses on a sack by a half step, then we get a freaking flag literally 10 seconds after the play. I swear I think the ref made the call after seeing the instant replay...Mike Evans points up at the screen and suddenly a flag appears. DE's get quick pressure...no interior pressure so Winston just steps up and gets rid of it. FInally third and long Carr makes a nice play and breaks up a pass....probably should have intercepted but we don't even think of making plays like that. Bucs miss a long FG and we have good field position. It looked like the D was going to give it right back up but we finally made a play to keep a lead.

Get a couple firsts and into FG range and then we shut it down, going with the old 2 yd pass when we need 8. Automatic Bailey finally misses a 48 yarder and the Bucs are in business. Just seems like we are doing enough to not look completely inept, but every series there is something that keeps the drive from ending in the end zone.

Mincey gets good heat but overruns a sack, we stuff a middle run then give up a long completion and conversion as D line never gets off the LOS. Nice back shoulder to Mike Evans and we are at the 2 minute warning. Claiborne beat badly but saved by an underthrow. Hitchens carries RB all the way down field and breaks up pass. THird down, no pressure b ut Winston throws high across the middle, with Heath getting the interception off the tipped ball. Cowboys in business with decent position, time on the clock and timeouts.

We get a first on a nice pass to Dez, then fail to get another and punt it away. Patmon steps in front of an erant throw and should have an interception and possibly a pick six. Surprise, he drops the gift. Evans makes a catch with about 14 seconds left...Byron Jones kicks the ball away after the catch a few feet from the official. The official he kicks it away from does not make a penalty call, gets the ball set and spotted and just as the Bucs are about to hike it the side judge drops a flag. Again, this is literally more than five seconds from the time Jones kicked the ball. Yes, it was a dumb play and is a penalty, but when the flag comes so late it appears like something fishy is going on. Final play, Lawrence gets good pressure and gets the sack. Half over, we lead 6-3 and have shot ourselves in the foot several times.

Defense has a nice series with Brandon Carr getting a good hit on Winston...of course refs wrongly call it a fumble and Dallas recovered, pretty obvious it wasn't. After review it is called an incompletion and the officials ignore what should have been an illegal touching penalty by an OL. I have seen refs change a play and call a penalty during review...whether that was right or wrong they didn't call the penalty.

We start off with pass, great protection and Cassel runs into a sack. Holv crap, pass to Escobar coming out of witness protection program for a first. Dez drops a pass right in his hands for what would have been a first. Mental lapses and then we get a break with a sure interception drop after the ball is tipped at the line.

D stuffs a run then gives up a long gain to Evans up the middle. Evans makes the catch, gets tripped up and as he is falling forward the ball hits the ground before any body part does and comes out of his hand. Seems to me a lot of things possible....first can argue no catch because he didn't complete it going to the ground. Secondly, since the ball was the first thing to hit the ground and come out, it should have been a fumble. No discussion, no challenge, just give them the big gainer. Drive ends with an Evans miss of a pass that hit him right in the hands.

Next series, we pick up a nice gain with a Williams sighting. Offense bogs down....McFadden gets a few but here is one of thos plays where we are missing the "dirty yards" we got last year from Murray. Perfect coffin corner punt from Jones.

One adjustment we did make is putting Carr on Claiborne and he seems like he is doing a better job than Claiborne was. Evans make a tightly contested catch on Carr. Long completion down the center of field, only was Winston makes throw is a completely obvious hold right in front of the QB and it doesn't get called. Number 78 had both arms around McClain...how is this missed? Defense holds anyway but we get pinned back...all due to an obvious missed penalty.

Offense gets moving with a pass to Street but can't get another first and has to punt. Bout time for a ST gaffe but no, Jones bombs it, returner fumbles and is nailed quickly. It just feels like something bad is going to happen. It's building. Defense has played well, can't argue with them giving up only three points but we have missed chances for takeaways. Marinelli throws in a random blitz and give up a big screen. Church takes a chance on a pick and gives up a big gain to Evans. Jeff Heath saves the day again with another deflected pick.

Over 5 minutes left, we need to get some first downs and change field position at the very least. First down Witten misses block and gets McFadden killed in the background but Cassel gets a nice hookup to Williams to give us a 3rd and 2. We take a timeout to talk about this play. As Fox cuts back, they show the huddle with Garrett, Cassel, Linnehan, Romo and Dez talking about the play. Romo is shaking his head and does not seem to agree with the call. Bucs line up in press coverage man on man look, we are in 3 receiver set with Dez left, two WRs right with Witten right also. Cassel looks to Dez in single coverage with Moore, throws back shoulder into tight coverage, hits Dez in the hands and he drops it. Short punt by Jones.

Crappy holding call against Carr....another flag thrown well after the foul. Evans makes his cut, slight tug on sleeve by Carr, runs another 10 yds, makes play on ball, incompletion and then here comes flag....maybe could have called PI but they say holding before the past. Commentator Lynch notes a very tough call. Bucs move right down the field. Defense stops them on two plays with goal to go. Third down Winston in shotgun, outside pressure steps up into middle and decides to run. As he gets to the goal line, he jumps and loses the ball untouched with Dallas recovering. Cowboys ball, Cowboys ball...we win!!! Or not. Flag down. Holding, defense. Now mind you...this play started at the 4 yard line almost the 5. Called half the distance. Replay shows contact within 5 yards at the one yard line. Ball placed at the half yard line? I guess it is a spot foul....happened at the one so half the distance is to the half yard line. Winston goes in untouched on the bootleg. EVERYONE, AND I MEAN EVERYONE, collapsed inside on the play fake. Only Dallas.

Bucs give us a chance with a short kck an an dumb penalty. Cassel tries going deep to Dez who feels a little bump and doesn't even go after the ball....starts asking for pass interference. Of course Dallas is called for about half a dozen PI calls, but don't get this one.

Untimely penalties. Missed opportunities. Questionable calls. Big time players coming up small. Another 4th quarter lead given up. Same old same old.

While I hope that Romo comes back and runs off 7 straight, I don't think it's just the QB play. Cassel was pretty serviceable. Run game has to do better than 3 ypc. Right now, I'd guess about 6-10 as a final record.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
The oc that wanted him here watch him practice for 3 years and they extended him in Detroit. You ppl forget Linehan is the one who wanted Moorw here. When JJ sent a draft pick for Cassel I knew he wasn't touching the field this year.

Moore couldn't beat out Weeden or Cassel. That should tell you something.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Moore couldn't beat out Weeden or Cassel. That should tell you something.

Doubt he was given the opportunity he had no starting experience. If the Cowboy had any plans to use Moore they wouldn't have traded for Cassel.

Junglist

Reaction score
Well, I'm still going to the Thanksgiving game. I honestly couldn't care less about the game compared to the tailgating. Thanksgiving tailgating is the ONLY reason I'm going. I'm numb to seeing the Cowboys lose in person this year; even that giants game didn't feel like a real win. Good thing I'll be nice and drunk before I even head to the art museum.