Game Day ***Cowboys vs Eagles post game thread***

mahoneybill

Reaction score
This pic from the game is awesome.

10731190_1007419685943540_8326839449719320849_n.jpg

Loved how Dez stated something to the effect that Tony was so poised , that we had to deliver for him... Sign of true respect, and a long way from the TO days of " Me"

ragman

Reaction score
While I'm very happy with the win over a hated division rival, I'm very unhappy that the defense gave up a 21 point lead. They'll have to fix that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In fariness, that was Mark Sanchez out there running it. He put up 27 on us with Mr. Buttfumble.

Right but people were so impressed with Chip Kelly the last go around and Mark Sanchez. No matter who you have. Aaron Rodgers struggled yesterday as well. There are going to be games where your offense isn't feeling it. Not clicking. And then you are out there doing them a disservice by playing the way you do and having your defense out there all game. And he didn't put up 27. Lapses in defense did that.

wileedog

Reaction score
Right but people were so impressed with Chip Kelly the last go around and Mark Sanchez. No matter who you have. Aaron Rodgers struggled yesterday as well. There are going to be games where your offense isn't feeling it. Not clicking. And then you are out there doing them a disservice by playing the way you do and having your defense out there all game. And he didn't put up 27. Lapses in defense did that.

How did having a 'conventional' offense help GB yesterday when Rodgers was struggling? They still lost.

And "lapses in defense" is the whole point of his system. Because you can't substitute, because everything is lined up and snapped right away, because you are constantly pressuring and wearing out opposing defenses, they create "lapses." That's the upside of his system.

I do think he gets too stubborn with it particularly when they have a lead late and it is in their best interest to eat the clock, but maybe he will get better with that, who knows.

Meanwhile he's 19-11 his first two seasons after taking over a 4-12 team, all without having a legitimate QB or one that fits his offense particularly well. Shrug it off all you want, but so far you can't really scoff at the results.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link so that I could watch the game? I listened to it on the radio and I would like some visuals.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
SAS said today that Dez literally left Bradley Fletcher crying (in the midst of ranting about who in the Eagles coaching staff decided that was their solution to Dez)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How did having a 'conventional' offense help GB yesterday when Rodgers was struggling? They still lost.

And "lapses in defense" is the whole point of his system. Because you can't substitute, because everything is lined up and snapped right away, because you are constantly pressuring and wearing out opposing defenses, they create "lapses." That's the upside of his system.

I do think he gets too stubborn with it particularly when they have a lead late and it is in their best interest to eat the clock, but maybe he will get better with that, who knows.

Meanwhile he's 19-11 his first two seasons after taking over a 4-12 team, all without having a legitimate QB or one that fits his offense particularly well. Shrug it off all you want, but so far you can't really scoff at the results.

Its no different than when Don Nelson took over for the Mavericks. His philosophy was similar. He's going to out run and gun the opposing team and pray its enough to win. ITs very silly football.

And there is nothing conventional about GB's offense either. But that wasn't why they lost.

So if you're "wearing out" defenses than what are you doing to your own defense especially when they face a team that plans on keeping them on the field all game?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
My comments in bold

This team was on a mission tonight. Much more focused, much better prepared, and demonstrated far more resolve than on Thanksgiving. --- I loved Garrett's pregame interview with Michelle. Basically = no excuses!

Heroes tonight:
  • Dez Bryant - 3 TDs, and complete domination of Bradley Fletcher. --- beast could have had 5 TD's - crazy!

• DeMarco Murray - though the numbers won't show it (2.6 ypc), his 31 carries had a lot to do with the Cowboys amassing a 41:55 to 18:05 time of possession edge. ---- very very very important. You run the ball for more than one reason. Great point!

• Jason Witten - three key third down conversions in this game, and allowed the Cowboys to jump out to the big early lead. --- he went to legally change his name today to Jason "first down" Witten

• Tony Romo - played a terrific game, and hung in there when the pocket began to break down in the third quarter. --- he did. He was great. Got get rid of that ball sooner sometimes. But he was all "win" Sunday!

• Tyron Smith - yes, he committed two bad penalties, but he absolutely abused Trent Cole all night long --- one of my favorite giants!

• Jeremy Mincey - two big sacks.
  • Tyrone Crawford - two sacks of his own, and a big key in holding LeSean McCoy to only 64 yards. -- I didn't realize we had 4 sacks -- nice!!

• J.J. Wilcox - caused two huge turnovers that swung the game back in the Cowboys' direction. -- opportunistic! These guys sniff and press for turnovers!!

• Dan Bailey - key with the short initial kickoff and making a 49 yard field goal to push the lead back to two scores in the 4th quarter. --- when I have my next child I am getting a Bailey jersey. Seriously! It's already been decided! :)

• Jason Garrett - had his team ready to play tonight, and his challenge of the Celek fumble was key to the win. --- yes. It was. Other challenge had no chance! Great job Sunday night!
Goats tonight:
  • Ron Leary - he has been awful in both Eagle games this year. His standing around after Romo fumbled just caps a brutal night. --- yeah what is that? Is he that tired? Or is that him??

• Brandon Carr - should know better than to gamble on out routes with his lack of speed and quickness - can't give up 72 yards on a third and long. --- man I watch this guy and he is so bad that it hurts. Makes we want to believe that there is something there that will get better? IF you are going to take hose chances then you need to take a few back "pick 6" style!

• Chris Jones - terrible punt after the Eagles had cut the Cowboy lead to 21-7, and the Cowboys had to punt. I know they were trying to limit the damage from Darren Sproles, but that was ridiculous. --- not everything works out. All in all..... Like you said.... Terrific win?
Terrific win.

[/quote]

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This pic from the game is awesome.

10731190_1007419685943540_8326839449719320849_n.jpg

Man, that silver helmet shines a lot brighter(that blue/white star is bolder) when:

- you are winning
- you are Dez
- you see there is that will, that fire to win .... LIKE "the teams of Cowboys past"!

wileedog

Reaction score
Its no different than when Don Nelson took over for the Mavericks. His philosophy was similar. He's going to out run and gun the opposing team and pray its enough to win. ITs very silly football.
Different sport.

And there is nothing conventional about GB's offense either. But that wasn't why they lost.
They lost because they scored less points than the Bills. Whether they did that quickly or did that slowly is irrelevant.

So if you're "wearing out" defenses than what are you doing to your own defense especially when they face a team that plans on keeping them on the field all game?
No question it puts more stress on your defense. But your defense is used to it week in and week out. Opposing defenses are probably not, and most teams that don't play you regularly are going to have trouble with the substitution issues.

And yeah, you can try to gameplan to keep them on the field all game, but that's why they have focused on building their front 7 - which is probably top 5 in football right now - so that teams just can't run on them all game. We certainly didn't, we only averaged 2.7 YPC with arguably the best Oline in the league. Once they get that secondary sorted out there will be a lot less 6-8 minute drives on them, and their offense will get on the field more. And once they have a QB and WR that can stretch the field again, teams won't be able to sit on the run and Sanchez's 10 yard maximum throws and cause those quick 3 and outs.

Granted, a lot of things have to go right for this to work. But you can say that about any system, and you can't argue with the results to date. That was NOT a good football team he took over there two years ago, yet he won the division last year and could still do so again this year with Mark flippin' Sanchez if we screw up. Give me that silly football any day.

ringmaster

Reaction score
He made that clear when he said he didn't care about TOP at all. The offense he runs shows he doesn't care if his defense tanks which is why, like at Oregon, he will not win championships.
That's the same thing I think too and while his offense when it's clicking on all cylinders it's really tough to stop his offense is a up tempo zone read in which his QBs only have one read to make and his offense also is eye candy if the defense is disciplined enough on the keys then his offense is simply ineffective and the Cowboys at times were very disciplined on stopping McCoy, and Sproles in key situations to make Sanchez beat them and it failed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Different sport.

They lost because they scored less points than the Bills. Whether they did that quickly or did that slowly is irrelevant.

No question it puts more stress on your defense. But your defense is used to it week in and week out. Opposing defenses are probably not, and most teams that don't play you regularly are going to have trouble with the substitution issues.

And yeah, you can try to gameplan to keep them on the field all game, but that's why they have focused on building their front 7 - which is probably top 5 in football right now - so that teams just can't run on them all game. We certainly didn't, we only averaged 2.7 YPC with arguably the best Oline in the league. Once they get that secondary sorted out there will be a lot less 6-8 minute drives on them, and their offense will get on the field more. And once they have a QB and WR that can stretch the field again, teams won't be able to sit on the run and Sanchez's 10 yard maximum throws and cause those quick 3 and outs.

Granted, a lot of things have to go right for this to work. But you can say that about any system, and you can't argue with the results to date. That was NOT a good football team he took over there two years ago, yet he won the division last year and could still do so again this year with Mark flippin' Sanchez if we screw up. Give me that silly football any day.

Its a different sport but its rings true in sports in general. There are rules to sports. This isn't Madden. Guys actually get tired. Guys actually go 3 and out. And while you want to acknowledge his 9 and 5 record......its solid but those 5 losses came at the hands of some solid teams and that's not coincidental. But I guess they deserve props for beating us and the Colts. Its a shame because they have a solid team. But the same reason why they are successful is the same thing that's their downfall.

And how effective is this offense when they need so much to succeed? They need nearly a Pro Bowler at every position it seems. I was told even Mark Sanchez can work in that offense. Guess that tune has changed.

wileedog

Reaction score
They need nearly a Pro Bowler at every position it seems..

LOL, which is different then our offense how?

We had to spend 3 #1 picks on the Oline to be even competitive, and BTW Philly has still scored more points than us this season with mediocre to garbage at QB.

Give it a rest. The guy can coach offense. He may still fail because his drafting so far has been suspect and the Desean Jackson decision was totally stupid. but so far his 'gimmick' offense is working. Why is that so hard to accept?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

And the Eagles finished the same they always have. ..... no superbowl victory

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL, which is different then our offense how?

We had to spend 3 #1 picks on the Oline to be even competitive, and BTW Philly has still scored more points than us this season with mediocre to garbage at QB.

Give it a rest. The guy can coach offense. He may still fail because his drafting so far has been suspect and the Desean Jackson decision was totally stupid. but so far his 'gimmick' offense is working. Why is that so hard to accept?

Its not different than our offense. I never said anything about the Cowboys. I'm speaking about the highly touted 9-6 Chip Kelly. The guy everyone wants to praise and emulate.

It sure worked today against the 3 win Deadskins lol. A team I assumed was tanking but I guess not lol.