Game Day ***Cowboys vs Packers post game thread***

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And no matter what you said, we just haven't done anything with Romo. Now if I have a beautiful car, but it's always breaking down, I don't care how it looks how many girls like it, I'm getting something better.

I've never said anything contrary to this, my point is Romo is not what is holding this team back. Yes, if we had Rogers or Brady, we likely win, but that's likely it. Manning (Peyton or Eli), Flacco, Wilson or Kaepernick don't win today for us. Problem is, guys that good aren't lining up around the block waiting to try out for NFL teams.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I've never said anything contrary to this, my point is Romo is not what is holding this team back. Yes, if we had Rogers or Brady, we likely win, but that's likely it. Manning (Peyton or Eli), Flacco, Wilson or Kaepernick don't win today for us. Problem is, guys that good aren't lining up around the block waiting to try out for NFL teams.
Wilson and Flaaco with us today, they win today. Guys who's done it, you can't argue with that. If Romo had won a Super Bowl, let's say back in 2009, I would never give up on him because I know he can actually do it. But I make my conclusions of players based on their ENTIRE body of work, not just a couple of years, or a few games, or one season.

My synopsis is based on 9 years of watching him carefully.

Back in the day, Romo made explosive plays because he was fast, quick, could extend the play, and he took wild chances. The down side, he also made interceptions. Now a days, he's slow, not nearly as quick. an okay arm, can't extend plays so he stays in the pocket too long without making a decision sometimes, and for some ungodly reason, he thinks that taking a sack is a cool play.

I've watched him over the years struggle to beat the blitz, struggle to find wide open players, etc. This year he's been pretty darn good at not making stupid plays, but that's because he doesn't take chances. He even admits that in his press conferences. But you HAVE to take some chances. There were plays left on the field, you can't hold anything back when it's do or die. He just does things he doesn't do when the pressure is not on. So the Lions game, he did not play a great game. That offense crapped the bed until they finally woke up. Playing that type of football is not conducive to winning Super Bowls.

Eli is not TECHNICALLY a better QB than Romo, but he's a better winner than Romo because when it mattered most, he took calculated chances, he took risks, got the ball out fast, and did not make stupid mistakes to kill them down the stretch.

Being better means nothing if you can't win when it matters.

There's a basketball team here in the Dallas area that people are calling the dream team with 4 top 100 players on the team. But they lost a game to a short team because being more talented means NOTHING if you can't perform when a team hits you in the mouth. And this is the legacy of Tony Romo.

Nirvana

Reaction score
B7HfkI2CMAIJrvy.jpg

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wilson and Flaaco with us today, they win today. Guys who's done it, you can't argue with that. If Romo had won a Super Bowl, let's say back in 2009, I would never give up on him because I know he can actually do it. But I make my conclusions of players based on their ENTIRE body of work, not just a couple of years, or a few games, or one season.

The problem with your argument is we needed just about perfect QB play to overcome the Demarco Murray fumble, Dan Bailey missed FG and the multiple third and long conversions by the GB offense. And I have no problem admitting Romo did not play a perfect game, those sacks hurt, he really needed to throw those away, but there is no reason to think Flacco or Wilson play the perfect game for us today. Yes they have each won a super bowl, but in case you haven't noticed the guy on the other team has as well, so your argument of a super bowl winning QB would win, kinda doesn't work.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Hey Clove, do yourself a favor and look at all 32 teams and see when was the last time they had a QB as good as Romo. I'll give you most of the SB winners, with guys like Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler excluded. Some of those teams have been without a QB as good as Romo for a long time, because you really look like you either don't understand football or you only watch the Dallas Cowboys and no other team.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Our team obviously wasn't strong enough to win the Super Bowl.t

Don't agree with your conclusion, we were one bad call away from winning this game. If you don't realize how much we were compromised by the refs in the first half, you haven't watched much football. We have dominated 2 out of the other 3 teams left in the playoffs. You can be bitter about the loss, but not for the overturned call, we would be considered a Super Bowl favorite going into next week.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Interesting thing…two of the 4 remaining teams for the conference championship games were easily beat down by the Cowboys

:cool:

Doomsay

Reaction score
I refuse to put this loss on the refs... Dallas made their share of mistakes and didn't execute.

They were fighting the refs all throughout the first half, it wasn't just the Dez catch. 50 - 70 yards of uncalled penalties..Mincey was literally getting strangled at points. Many of GB's Screens + long runs were multiple hold fests.

We made many mistakes and Moore seemed to be playing for the Packers in the 4th Quarter, but the refs were deliberately trying to influence the game. Hard to win in GB with that going against you. This is tough to explain https://vine.co/v/ODZBIg1dV9I

brucekr

Reaction score
I needed to take a few hours after the game before I really felt like talking about it.

People wanna seem to argue the refs cost us the game, but I don't really believe they did. I am thoroughly disgusted with some of the officiating, and certainly it hurt us at key points in the game, but I don't believe it cost us a win. I felt like we lost in every aspect of the game.

Coaching....
3rd and 1, with all 3 previous 3rd and shorts converted running Murray. So we line up in shotgun. I'm sorry, but I don't think running a draw on short yardage is a good call, so even if Romo checked out of a run, it seemed almost idiotic and cutesy. I knew as soon as they lined up in that formation, it was a bad sign. With the time that was left on the clock, and our timeouts, it made sense to keep momentum and run the ball.

The defense just made too many mistakes. Rodgers may as well have been playing with a full leg cast on, and he had all day to stand in one spot and throw to open receivers. Rolando McClain for the entire season really seemed to be the heart and soul of this defense. For the last month or so, this defense has really missed that physical catalyst in my opinion.
Offensively, they just didn't seem to execute consistently. Whether it was a missed block, dropped pass, or Romo refusing to throw balls away and eat sacks...... It just got frustrating to watch successful drives end with no points.
Special teams wise, Bailey missed kicks in both playoff games that he normally makes. How does your long snapper cause a false start?

But such is life being a cowboys fan of this era. They play good enough to get your hopes up, only to let you down in the end.

Overall, I can't complain too much. I expected to be 8-8 again. Was really good to see signs of our former glory. Now, we're left with the same problems as we have every year. How do we manage our cap space and keep our free agents. I'm just thoroughly disgusted with our franchise as a whole right now.

Nirvana

Reaction score
What I believe to be the key play of the game is the missed field goal by Dan Bailey.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I needed to take a few hours after the game before I really felt like talking about it.

People wanna seem to argue the refs cost us the game, but I don't really believe they did. I am thoroughly disgusted with some of the officiating, and certainly it hurt us at key points in the game, but I don't believe it cost us a win. I felt like we lost in every aspect of the game.

Coaching....
3rd and 1, with all 3 previous 3rd and shorts converted running Murray. So we line up in shotgun. I'm sorry, but I don't think running a draw on short yardage is a good call, so even if Romo checked out of a run, it seemed almost idiotic and cutesy. I knew as soon as they lined up in that formation, it was a bad sign. With the time that was left on the clock, and our timeouts, it made sense to keep momentum and run the ball.

The defense just made too many mistakes. Rodgers may as well have been playing with a full leg cast on, and he had all day to stand in one spot and throw to open receivers. Rolando McClain for the entire season really seemed to be the heart and soul of this defense. For the last month or so, this defense has really missed that physical catalyst in my opinion.
Offensively, they just didn't seem to execute consistently. Whether it was a missed block, dropped pass, or Romo refusing to throw balls away and eat sacks...... It just got frustrating to watch successful drives end with no points.
Special teams wise, Bailey missed kicks in both playoff games that he normally makes. How does your long snapper cause a false start?

But such is life being a cowboys fan of this era. They play good enough to get your hopes up, only to let you down in the end.

Overall, I can't complain too much. I expected to be 8-8 again. Was really good to see signs of our former glory. Now, we're left with the same problems as we have every year. How do we manage our cap space and keep our free agents. I'm just thoroughly disgusted with our franchise as a whole right now.

I agree on that 3rd and 1. I appreciate the aggressiveness, but with 30 seconds and being 30 yards from the end zone, IMO the key was getting 3 points and taking a double-digit lead.

With Romo's propensity to dance around and take a sack, I'd much rather line up in a grunt formation and run the football and increase our chances of getting in field goal range.

Didn't like the shotgun formation as I saw them line up, and certainly didn't like the result.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I agree on that 3rd and 1. I appreciate the aggressiveness, but with 30 seconds and being 30 yards from the end zone, IMO the key was getting 3 points and taking a double-digit lead.

With Romo's propensity to dance around and take a sack, I'd much rather line up in a grunt formation and run the football and increase our chances of getting in field goal range.

Didn't like the shotgun formation as I saw them line up, and certainly didn't like the result.

We don't know the play if Tony hadn't dropped the snap. May have been a delayed run or a genius pass call. After it happened he did basically throw it away and almost got a TD to Williams. He didnt take the sack.

Bottom line Bailey is supposed to make those kicks it's his job