Game Day Cowboys vs Packers post game thread

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I would prefer to play straight through. Resting players at Philly was not a smart idea, obviously.
I personally don't think that had anything to do with it. Here are the problems:
1. We were outcoached (that's shocking isn't it).
2. We continue to abandon our script by throwing when we should be running
3. We have a weak and inconsistent defense what may be able to take advantage of the average and lesser quarterbacks of the league but can be (and was) exposed by elite quarterbacks.

Proximo

Reaction score
I will say it again; the officiating during that game was atrocious.

Penalties provided GB with opportunities.

Penalties robbed us of opportunities.

And the timing of said penalties (or non calls in some cases) was ridiculous.

The fact that their O line was not flagged once for holding is absolutely, 100% BS. Especially on that last pass play of the game.

And on the flip side we were getting hit with ticky tacky garbage.

Someone else pointed out that GB's offense did the exact same thing that cost us a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Obviously they got no penalty when they did it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Just having speed doesn't make you a great football player. He's still young and have holes in his skill set. I'm not denying that. Just pointing out he isn't slow like you are saying he is.
Okay, maybe slow was the wrong word. But his processing speed isn't what it should be; otherwise, he would be starting. It's just not speed, true. But there's something he's not getting or he's missing that's keeping him off the field and out of the starting lineup.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I personally don't think that had anything to do with it. Here are the problems:
3. We have a weak and inconsistent defense what may be able to take advantage of the average and lesser quarterbacks of the league but can be (and was) exposed by elite quarterbacks.

1. People say "outcoached" here every game. It's like white noise at this point, and can be mostly ignored.
2. When you fall behind by 18 points in the second quarter you do have to abandon the script. We did and it got us back in the game.
3. There's the problem.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We made a lot of mental mistakes. The same mistakes we make every time we take a bye week. We need sharp execution against a team who was playing from week to week.

Zman5

Reaction score
Okay, maybe slow was the wrong word. But his processing speed isn't what it should be; otherwise, he would be starting. It's just not speed, true. But there's something he's not getting or he's missing that's keeping him off the field and out of the starting lineup.

I think he lacks experience. He came from a small school and haven't really played much on defense for us. Good thing for him is he has improved every year. He has most INTS on the team past two years even with the limited snaps. I'm not sure if he is starting material yet but I rather see him in the backup role more than Wilcox at FS.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
1. People say "outcoached" here every game. It's like white noise at this point, and can be mostly ignored.
2. When you fall behind by 18 points in the second quarter you do have to abandon the script. We did and it got us back in the game.
3. There's the problem.

1. I don't say it every game.
2. Let me explain what I mean by outcoached. When the Packers moved Ty Montgomery out of the backfield, he was put up against Sean Lee. He exposed Lee because Lee can't cover him. How long did it take the Cowboys to adjust? We're behind 21-10, and we have first and 10 inside or near the red zone. We throw three passes and three incompletions. Was Zeke hurt? Was he winded (I don't know why, he sat out most of the last two games)? We settle for three rather than seven. We start out passing not running. We do this ALL the time in the playoffs. Another example of being outcoached or lack of coaching, we get no pressure on Aaron Rodgers with a three-man front. We start to blitz with our corners and safeties and get to Rodgers, and then we back off. And with 3 and 20, we decide to send three against Rodgers?
That's what I'm talking about being outcoached, and I'm not the only one saying it. Commentators all over the television set are saying the same thing.
3. Yes, we have problems with the defense. Unfortunately, Jason Garrett has to have a complete team to win. We have the offense, we need the defense. Maybe we'll move forward with a complete team, despite the coaching.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We made a lot of mental mistakes. The same mistakes we make every time we take a bye week. We need sharp execution against a team who was playing from week to week.

So should we not get the No. 1 seed? :huh:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So should we not get the No. 1 seed? :huh:
We should, but if you notice this year, we always struggled after a bye week. Drives me nuts. It took us until late 2nd quarter to freaking wake up and stop playing like we're a JV team.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think he lacks experience. He came from a small school and haven't really played much on defense for us. Good thing for him is he has improved every year. He has most INTS on the team past two years even with the limited snaps. I'm not sure if he is starting material yet but I rather see him in the backup role more than Wilcox at FS.

But he played in this game so experience isn't really the issue, IMO. And he balled out in this game. If he has the talent, then it's something more. But we shall see. If he's in the lineup with his "gifts" next year, I'll agree. Five years is more than enough time for him to "get it." If not, I'm going to maintain that he's slow in reaction and process what he needs to to be a starter.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We should, but if you notice this year, we always struggled after a bye week. Drives me nuts. It took us until late 2nd quarter to freaking wake up and stop playing like we're a JV team.

I guess my question is, then, is what do we do about that? If we have the No. 1 seed, we have a mandatory bye. I must rest. And I don't think we can have live hitting during those weeks can we?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I guess my question is, then, is what do we do about that? If we have the No. 1 seed, we have a mandatory bye. I must rest. And I don't think we can have live hitting during those weeks can we?
Obviously we have to rest those guys, but I wish there was a way to keep them and their game sharp. They always look sluggish after a bye and once again, they were sluggish coming out of the box.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Obviously we have to rest those guys, but I wish there was a way to keep them and their game sharp. They always look sluggish after a bye and once again, they were sluggish coming out of the box.

In some respects, that's an issue of coaching. Does Garrett ask other coaches how they keep their players fresh and focused during the bye week?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Don't take the last game of the season off. Treat it as a regular game and not a preseason one. Three weeks is a long time to take off, players get complacent and they did.

There will still be some rust after one bye week but that was ridiculous. Garrett did not have them ready to play.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
In some respects, that's an issue of coaching. Does Garrett ask other coaches how they keep their players fresh and focused during the bye week?
Bye week prior to 1st game of season, we were dropping balls, we lost. Bye week prior to playing the Eagles, nearly lost. 10-day off prior to playing Giants, we lost. Bye week prior to playing Green Bay, we lose.

Frustrating.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Don't take the last game of the season off. Treat it as a regular game and not a preseason one. Three weeks is a long time to take off, players get complacent and they did.

There will still be some rust after one bye week but that was ridiculous. Garrett did not have them ready to play.

I agree Garrett didn't have them ready to play. But I don't think it had anything to do with the Philadelphia approach. But we can argue this forever. Your point is noted.

Zman5

Reaction score
But he played in this game so experience isn't really the issue, IMO. And he balled out in this game. If he has the talent, then it's something more. But we shall see. If he's in the lineup with his "gifts" next year, I'll agree. Five years is more than enough time for him to "get it." If not, I'm going to maintain that he's slow in reaction and process what he needs to to be a starter.

I think his ST contribution actually gets in the way of him getting more playing time on defense. From what I read he's a good ST player and the coaches want him in every snap on ST. I guess we will have to wait until next year to find out if he'll get more playing time on defense.

9of11

Reaction score
I honestly just don't see the talent. He might be a good athlete if that's what you mean. And you're right... athleticism doesn't equate to good football player. I can't honestly think of one big play he made all year. I saw some plays that he made that a first round pick SHOULD make. But nothing that says, "WOW". And on the flip side, I saw just as many plays he DIDN'T make that he should have.

He's a bust. Heath is my starter next year. Dallas boasts that best player plays... we will see. If that is true, Heath starts. This guy is a play maker.
Correct, thats what I meant thanks. Lets hope for better next season.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Bingo. We still don't know how to use him. 3rd and 2 a few times and we didn't use him.

Side note: Too many empty sets with no back. Could have thrown McFadden back there for looks even if they were intent on throwing it.
I've never understood why, with the best running game in the league, we insist on using empty sets which completely eliminate even the threat of running the ball.