Cowboys vs Rams Run Play Analysis

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe would have helped if Richard wasn’t off interviewing for jobs instead of game planning.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Im not speaking hypothetically. You see this play and you can see the problem had nothing to do with the DL. Several plays through out the game that show similar misques by the LBs. Tape dont lie.

The Rams were whipping us up front by running to the left, attacking our 3-tech, 1-tech and RDE. The fact that those three positions were not winning up front allowed the Rams to get linemen on linebackers. I agree that the linebackers, along with the strong safety, had their share of miscues in run support, but the line wasn't disrupting the play. The Rams decided to multi-block Lawrence and run away from him to force our other linemen to beat them, and they couldn't do it. They dared us to make them change what they were doing and we didn't.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dallas gets big games from the defensive line against average to poor fronts. Then against elite fronts they get stonewalled or blown off the ball. That's what happens to undersized overachieving spare parts type of players on the defensive line. They regress to the mean which is being replacement level talent.

Seattle lead the NFL in rushing yards per game with 160, that isn't "catching lightning in a bottle".

New Orleans was 7th in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 126 yards per game. Dallas held them to 65 yards rushing and 10 points. How did they do that while getting blown off the ball?

Dallas had the 5th best rushing defense in the NFL last year but in the Rams game they only had one healthy DT and that was Daniel Ross. It isn't any more complicated than that.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The Rams were whipping us up front by running to the left, attacking our 3-tech, 1-tech and RDE. The fact that those three positions were not winning up front allowed the Rams to get linemen on linebackers. I agree that the linebackers, along with the strong safety, had their share of miscues in run support, but the line wasn't disrupting the play. The Rams decided to multi-block Lawrence and run away from him to force our other linemen to beat them, and they couldn't do it. They dared us to make them change what they were doing and we didn't.
For example in this play presented in the thread. If LVE was were he is supposed to be as good as a tackler as he is it would have been 1 to 2 yard gain tops. The issue was the LBs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
For example in this play presented in the thread. If LVE was were he is supposed to be as good as a tackler as he is it would have been 1 to 2 yard gain tops. The issue was the LBs.

OK, since you want to use this one play to insist the issue was the LBs, let's break it down.

This was a run to the left between the guard and tackle. Crawford does his job holding contain at RDE, which means he's pinned away from the cutback but keeps the run from being able to bounce outside. Collins is initially double-teammed by the center and left guard, but can't hold his ground or get penetration, which allows the guard to peel off and go get Jaylon Smith, who is trying to fill the hole between Collins and Crawford, which disappears because Collins isn't able to hold his position. Caraun Reid is initially doubled by the right guard and tackle and easily handled, which allows the guard to peel off and head up field, cutting off LVE and forcing him to try to work his way underneath to the play. Taco Charlton at LDE is single-blocked by a tight end who attempts to cut him off as Charlton crashes down the line and falls to the ground, allowing the cutback.

If Charlton stays on his feet and defeats the block, then he makes the play at the line of scrimmage because Crawford and Collins have the outside clogged up. If Collins defeats the double to get into the backfield, then Jaylon is freed up to attack the back. If Reid holds his ground against the double, then LVE is able to come across instead of trying to navigate traffic and catches the back after a few yards gained. No one on the line except Crawford really won his battle, which meant that neither LVE or Smith was free to run to the ball.

BTW, I am opposed to having players like Reid and Charlton on the field at the same time like on this play. You completely weaken one side of the line when you do that. I've always felt Dallas should stagger substitutions so that only one backup is out there at a time. If Reid and Charlton had done their job, the run could not have been cut back. The Rams would have had to try to bounce it back to the right.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
OK, since you want to use this one play to insist the issue was the LBs, let's break it down.

This was a run to the left between the guard and tackle. Crawford does his job holding contain at RDE, which means he's pinned away from the cutback but keeps the run from being able to bounce outside. Collins is initially double-teammed by the center and left guard, but can't hold his ground or get penetration, which allows the guard to peel off and go get Jaylon Smith, who is trying to fill the hole between Collins and Crawford, which disappears because Collins isn't able to hold his position. Caraun Reid is initially doubled by the right guard and tackle and easily handled, which allows the guard to peel off and head up field, cutting off LVE and forcing him to try to work his way underneath to the play. Taco Charlton at LDE is single-blocked by a tight end who attempts to cut him off as Charlton crashes down the line and falls to the ground, allowing the cutback.

If Charlton stays on his feet and defeats the block, then he makes the play at the line of scrimmage because Crawford and Collins have the outside clogged up. If Collins defeats the double to get into the backfield, then Jaylon is freed up to attack the back. If Reid holds his ground against the double, then LVE is able to come across instead of trying to navigate traffic and catches the back after a few yards gained. No one on the line except Crawford really won his battle, which meant that neither LVE or Smith was free to run to the ball.

BTW, I am opposed to having players like Reid and Charlton on the field at the same time like on this play. You completely weaken one side of the line when you do that. I've always felt Dallas should stagger substitutions so that only one backup is out there at a time. If Reid and Charlton had done their job, the run could not have been cut back. The Rams would have had to try to bounce it back to the right.
As I stated there are several plays.....this was the play that was presented in this thread. Go look it up......I have. The DL is supposed to take on and occupy blockers and the LB are supposed to fill in those gaps. Has been this way pretty much since Landry

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What is your point? Because there are 2 LBs on the field they do not have responsibilities? LVE was responsible for cut back and he was no were to be found.....all night in this particular game.

It’s a simple point.

Much easier to stop a powerful running game with 3 LBs than 2.

Easier to stop with 8 in the box, if you count the extra safety help.

Of course Marinelli did neither .

Don’t believe me? Look at the snap count for the players in the game. Pro football Ref is a start.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Im not speaking hypothetically. You see this play and you can see the problem had nothing to do with the DL. Several plays through out the game that show similar misques by the LBs. Tape dont lie.

We were playing nickel package most of the game.

I like the 4-2-5 (the 33 stack is one of my favorites) but it wasn’t working.

It was insane to stay in that as our base.

Insane that Jason let it happen.

273 yards rushing.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It’s a simple point.

Much easier to stop a powerful running game with 3 LBs than 2.

Easier to stop with 8 in the box, if you count the extra safety help.

Of course Marinelli did neither .

Don’t believe me? Look at the snap count for the players in the game. Pro football Ref is a start.
It was a coaching issue for sure. Non the less we had played that way most of the year. When you watch the tape you can see the confusion of our LBs. Lee was our best LB that game. But I agree if they werent getting it then the play caller should have switched it up and Kris did nothing but yell at LVE.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It was a coaching issue for sure. Non the less we had played that way most of the year. When you watch the tape you can see the confusion of our LBs. Lee was our best LB that game. But I agree if they werent getting it then the play caller should have switched it up and Kris did nothing but yell at LVE.

Kris is not the DC.

At best he relays the play from command, which is Marinelli.

Marinelli is Richards boss.

This is why I believe Hot Rod should have been fired after that loss.

It was his fault.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Kris is not the DC.

At best he relays the play from command, which is Marinelli.

Marinelli is Richards boss.

This is why I believe Hot Rod should have been fired after that loss.

It was his fault.
Kris was calling plays 90% of the season and specifically in that game. This should be a fact well known by ANYONE that comes on the forum on a regular. Just saying

gimmesix

Reaction score
As I stated there are several plays.....this was the play that was presented in this thread. Go look it up......I have. The DL is supposed to take on and occupy blockers and the LB are supposed to fill in those gaps. Has been this way pretty much since Landry

On this play, the DL is neither occupying blockers nor holding lane integrity (other than Crawford). If either of those things had happened, the play likely gets made at or behind the line of scrimmage.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
On this play, the DL is neither occupying blockers nor holding lane integrity (other than Crawford). If either of those things had happened, the play likely gets made at or behind the line of scrimmage.
If LVE is were he is supposed to be its a 2 yard gain at most

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Kris was calling plays 90% of the season and specifically in that game. This should be a fact well known by ANYONE that comes on the forum on a regular. Just saying

No.

He’s not the DC.

GenoT

Reaction score
I would not blame Richard for that train wreck.

He’s not the DC.
Okay, the D’s failure vs LAR was the DC’s fault...got it.

However, if the D improves this season, then it stands to reason you’re gonna give DC Marinelli the credit, right?

We’ll see, but I betcha won’t...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I just happy you guys are discussing the actual play.

Look at the RB 1 step after he has taken the hand-off. He could still cut to the backside, middle or front-side at that point.

VE has to wait until about the time the RB is even with the TE/LDE before the backside cut-back is no longer possible.
- If VE gets to the middle of the field earlier and is then trapped inside by the RG, a backside cut-back could have been an even bigger gain.
- VE does become indecisive at the point it's an obvious inside run.
- He ether has to go to the up-field or down-field side of the RT/LDT.
- I don't think he gets there taking the up-field path.
- He's probably expected to play it safe and get down-field; although the RG is there waiting for him.

The 1-tech is the RDT on this play.
- The run was actually between the RG-OC gap (backside of the OC).
- The RDE has outside contain. On the initial alignment the RDT is in the A gap and the B gap is "open".
- That A gap is moving to the outside. At a minimum the RDT has to move with the A gap as it moves towards the outside.
- A key for the Rams is that the OC/LG "sell" the outside run by the way they block the RDT (1-tech).
- The OC/LG flow outside with the RDT like they would if it was an outside run but not enough to keep him from moving that direction.

The LDT can't just hold his ground. He needs to move towards the front-side (play-side) which is to his right.
- The RG has leverage on him off the snap (i.e. It's not a reach block).
- The fact that the LDT needs to move to his right gives the RG/RT even better leverage against him.

The MLB has to move towards the outside but beware of the inside cut-back.
- Jaylon has a lot more ground to cover if the RB runs wide to the outside vs cutting back inside.
- If he is unsure the run is inside/outside at the point the blocker reaches him, the thing he can't do is get boxed to the inside.

Obviously having super-mega-all-pro type DLinemen would help, but the Rams were winning with scheme much more than 1-on-1 dominant blocking.