Cowboys vs Rams Run Play Analysis

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I just happy you guys are discussing the actual play.

Look at the RB 1 step after he has taken the hand-off. He could still cut to the backside, middle or front-side at that point.

VE has to wait until about the time the RB is even with the TE/LDE before the backside cut-back is no longer possible.
- If VE gets to the middle of the field earlier and is then trapped inside by the RG, a backside cut-back could have been an even bigger gain.
- VE does become indecisive at the point it's an obvious inside run.
- He ether has to go to the up-field or down-field side of the RT/LDT.
- I don't think he gets there taking the up-field path.
- He's probably expected to play it safe and get down-field; although the RG is there waiting for him.

The 1-tech is the RDT on this play.
- The run was actually between the RG-OC gap (backside of the OC).
- The RDE has outside contain. On the initial alignment the RDT is in the A gap and the B gap is "open".
- That A gap is moving to the outside. At a minimum the RDT has to move with the A gap as it moves towards the outside.
- A key for the Rams is that the OC/LG "sell" the outside run by the way they block the RDT (1-tech).
- The OC/LG flow outside with the RDT like they would if it was an outside run but not enough to keep him from moving that direction.

The LDT can't just hold his ground. He needs to move towards the front-side (play-side) which is to his right.
- The RG has leverage on him off the snap (i.e. It's not a reach block).
- The fact that the LDT needs to move to his right gives the RG/RT even better leverage against him.

The MLB has to move towards the outside but beware of the inside cut-back.
- Jaylon has a lot more ground to cover if the RB runs wide to the outside vs cutting back inside.
- If he is unsure the run is inside/outside at the point the blocker reaches him, the thing he can't do is get boxed to the inside.

Obviously having super-mega-all-pro type DLinemen would help, but the Rams were winning with scheme much more than 1-on-1 dominant blocking.
Definitely agree that we were schematically just out coached. I think our young LBs may have just had to many things to worry about with the way the Rams typically run their offense. IMO as a play caller at some point you when you are getting beat so badly you have to change it up. A good offensive coach will keep doing the same thing over and over again if you dont prove you can consistently stop it. IMO that is what happen in this game. They turned a strength (VanJaylon) into a weakness simply because they could not adjust the way Kris wanted them to.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Definitely agree that we were schematically just out coached. I think our young LBs may have just had to many things to worry about with the way the Rams typically run their offense. IMO as a play caller at some point you when you are getting beat so badly you have to change it up. A good offensive coach will keep doing the same thing over and over again if you dont prove you can consistently stop it. IMO that is what happen in this game. They turned a strength (VanJaylon) into a weakness simply because they could not adjust the way Kris wanted them to.
Richard didn’t have much to do with this game plan because he was out interviewing all week for a new job. Marinelli ran the show and you could tell. Prevent all day and afraid that goff would beat us with his arm. But yet everytime we got even close to him then it was a bad throw. How Marinelli didn’t see that I will never know.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a simple point.

Much easier to stop a powerful running game with 3 LBs than 2.

Easier to stop with 8 in the box, if you count the extra safety help.

Of course Marinelli did neither .

Don’t believe me? Look at the snap count for the players in the game. Pro football Ref is a start.
It was a coaching issue for sure. Non the less we had played that way most of the year. When you watch the tape you can see the confusion of our LBs. Lee was our best LB that game. But I agree if they werent getting it then the play caller should have switched it up and Kris did nothing but yell at LVE.

The Rams were one of the top passing teams in 2018. They were #1 in 1st downs passing and near the top in other passing stats.

If the Cowboys played base (3 LBs) against the Rams 11 personnel (3 WRs, 1 TE), then the Cowboys probably lose by a bigger margin.

Consider the following changes on this play:
  • Move #55 (VE) to the right side and up on the line and out near the inside WR on that side.
  • Move #30 (Nickel CB Brown) to the left side.
  • Now #55 (VE) has outside contain
  • Now the RDE has the B gap instead of outside contain.
  • Now on the threat of the outside run, the RDT (1-tech) does not need to "jump" towards the outside.
  • The change allows the RDE & RDT to squeeze the inside gaps better even when flowing towards an outside run.
  • The OLB (VE) is already outside. This allows the MLB to focus on the middle.
  • The OLB's responsibilities are now outside. He can't get trapped horizontally.
  • The MLB can focus on the middle limiting the chance that he will get trapped horizontally.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They did make some adjustments, but the needed adjustments were too much to implement during the game because it's not something they would have practiced.

The Rams made some changes in the blocking scheme for the playoffs and probably some specifically for the Cowboys.
- The question is whether based on what the Rams did during the regular season, should the Cowboys coaches have anticipated it.
- My opinion is that the coaches were mostly focused on defending the Rams dynamic passing game.
- The 2-deep Safety alignment in this play is a pass defense alignment.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If LVE is were he is supposed to be its a 2 yard gain at most

Look at where he is lined up and where he goes. He had backside contain, which would have been needed if the DL had forced the back to bounce his run. The LDT and LDE are both moving to their right; with Charlton crashing down the line, someone had to have backside contain. The LDT lost to a quick double, the RDT lost to a quick double and Charlton fell to the ground being half-blocked by a tight end. But by all means, blame the linebackers.

When the lane opens away from LVE's contain, he doesn't really have a chance because the RDT and his blocker plus the guard who went to the next level are all in his away. I'm not sure what you are expecting of him on that play.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The LDT can't just hold his ground. He needs to move towards the front-side (play-side) which is to his right.
- The RG has leverage on him off the snap (i.e. It's not a reach block).
- The fact that the LDT needs to move to his right gives the RG/RT even better leverage against him.

I primarily blame the LDT and the LDE on this play. If Reid had been able to press the line, the only choice would have been a cutback to the backside. Despite that, if Charlton had whipped the tight end, he would have had the opportunity to make the play because there was no outside cut on the right side. This is a play we've seen ends like Lawrence make over and over again. The linebackers had two directions the play could have gone covered. The play went right through the line that was supposed to clog up that hole.

gimmesix

Reaction score
it didn't help that Woods and Smith went in the same gap

Was it Woods? I thought it was Collins, but I admit that my eyes may be mistaking a 9 for a 6.

I think Smith was correct on where he was supposed to be, filling between Crawford to his outside and Collins/Woods. Collins/Woods got taken too far to the outside. That meant three players were pinned to the outside while the LDT (Reid) was pushed upfield and pinned to the inside. As far as Collins/Woods got carried, it probably would have been best to have Smith loop to the inside of Collins/Woods. However, I can't blame the coaches for neither DT ending up where they should have.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I primarily blame the LDT and the LDE on this play. If Reid had been able to press the line, the only choice would have been a cutback to the backside. Despite that, if Charlton had whipped the tight end, he would have had the opportunity to make the play because there was no outside cut on the right side. This is a play we've seen ends like Lawrence make over and over again. The linebackers had two directions the play could have gone covered. The play went right through the line that was supposed to clog up that hole.

The LDE had the best chance to make the play.
- He was off-balance but that block by the TE was borderline in regards to almost being a block in the back.
- The Rams TEs/WRs did make some similar blocks that were definitely not legal blocks but they were good at not making it obvious.

The Rams tendencies also affect the play but can't really be shown in a 1-play analysis.
- The LDE and OLB had to be concerned about backside misdirection.
- On this play before the hand-off the backside roll-out by the QB had to be considered.
- The Rams did not run a reverse or jet-sweep backside, but often do use those.
- On other plays the Rams often use motion to get a LB to move just a bit to one side.

It would be a difficult play for the LDT to make.
- The OL have the advantage of knowing the play before the snap.
- I think in general that a double-team against a 3-tech DT should favor the offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it Woods? I thought it was Collins, but I admit that my eyes may be mistaking a 9 for a 6.

I think Smith was correct on where he was supposed to be, filling between Crawford to his outside and Collins/Woods. Collins/Woods got taken too far to the outside. That meant three players were pinned to the outside while the LDT (Reid) was pushed upfield and pinned to the inside. As far as Collins/Woods got carried, it probably would have been best to have Smith loop to the inside of Collins/Woods. However, I can't blame the coaches for neither DT ending up where they should have.

The RDT (1-tech) was Woods.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The LDE had the best chance to make the play.
- He was off-balance but that block by the TE was borderline in regards to almost being a block in the back.
- The Rams TEs/WRs did make some similar blocks that were definitely not legal blocks but they were good at not making it obvious.

The Rams tendencies also affect the play but can't really be shown in a 1-play analysis.
- The LDE and OLB had to be concerned about backside misdirection.
- On this play before the hand-off the backside roll-out by the QB had to be considered.
- The Rams did not run a reverse or jet-sweep backside, but often do use those.
- On other plays the Rams often use motion to get a LB to move just a bit to one side.

It would be a difficult play for the LDT to make.
- The OL have the advantage of knowing the play before the snap.
- I think in general that a double-team against a 3-tech DT should favor the offense.

That's probably a fair observation on the LDT even if the double-team was quick. Because of his positioning, he was cut off by the right guard.and he didn't have the power to bull the guard back into the play, creating congestion and avoiding the double=team before the right tackle could have gotten there to assist or gotten to the next level. Be nice if Hill turns out to be the kind of 3-tech we need who can blow up those kinds of plays by rocking the guard back with his quickness and power.

Knock the guard back and the tackle can't pull into the hole, which would have allowed LVE to be able to move across from contain and probably make the play. Of course, Marinelli really hasn't had the type of 3-tech he needs yet to run this defense the way it is supposed to work.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2018 Division Playoffs
2 minutes remaining 1st quarter
Fake Zone Run Left back to Middle Run

Keep in mind there a 6 "gaps" and only 4 DLinemen.
Without getting into naming conventions, the gaps are:
  • Outside RT
  • RT - RG
  • RG - OC
  • OC - LG
  • LG - LT
  • Outside LT

Even if all DL execute their assignments, the LBs each have a gap to cover.

The gap assignments are dependent on the offensive play.

Where is the flex defense when you need it. LOL

Cebrin

Reaction score
How do we dominate a playoff team when we "get bullied on both lines of scrimmage"?
Hence my argument "should have" . It's mind boggling how poorly we played in the trenches both of those games. Our coaching is hot garbage. No adjustments.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Hence my argument "should have" . It's mind boggling how poorly we played in the trenches both of those games. Our coaching is hot garbage. No adjustments.

Agree.

Marinelli was 0-16 at Detroit for a reason.

He’s better at being a position coach.

With Richard on deck, they should have made him DC.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Seattle lead the NFL in rushing yards per game with 160, that isn't "catching lightning in a bottle".

New Orleans was 7th in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 126 yards per game. Dallas held them to 65 yards rushing and 10 points. How did they do that while getting blown off the ball?

Dallas had the 5th best rushing defense in the NFL last year but in the Rams game they only had one healthy DT and that was Daniel Ross. It isn't any more complicated than that.
Yes,yes they did. I follow the Seahawks. They are terrible at pass blocking and after trying to run a more balanced modern attack leaning towards the gettingbpass Russ killed again went to run an heavy offense game plan allowing them to catch fire. That's what happened they ran,ran,ran and Wilson's the best playaction QB in the NFL.

Injuries for an over matched undersized do are a thing that happens as the season wears on. For this team it is the last scrub standing. Last year it was Daniel Ross. As Collins, Crawford,Woods,all true to form got hurt and we're rendered even more ineffective against an elite front.

This team loses upfront because the front office is brain dead on football and gets praised for the slam dunk hits they get on offense. The reason why Marinelli gets praise is because Tom Dungy and Lovie Smith brought in the elite talent on the interior of the defensive line. The guys we have are spare parts while he inherited Tommie Harris,Greg Spires,Warren Sapp,Booger McFarland on the inside of DL when he developed his rep as a great DL coach. He has been riding the coattails of the greatest DT of all-time for years. We have not had anyone line up on the level of these guys ever. And we have passed on making moves in the draft or free agency to get them. While every super bowl contender or those who have made it to the big game over the past few years have made those moves.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I recall, LVE hardly played. They put Lee out there a lot, because they didn't know how to adjust to the beating, and tried to scapegoat the rookie as a problem.
Snaps on defense vs Rams:
Lee 21
LVE 61
Jaylon 74