Game Day ***Cowboys vs Seahawks post game thread***

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have some tough decisions to make this week.

Shampklin getting hurt actually made one decision easier. But I think Malik Davis is the guy to keep.

The WR decision is also going to be tough. There are a few talented guys on the roster that won't make the team. I like Brandon Smith but I think he may not make the team.

Isaac Alarcon was awful tonight playing against the Seattle front line players. He was so overmatched. I think they still get an exemption for him but I do not see him making the 53 man roster.

The 2 Centers are Biadasz and Farniok. No one else comes close to them.

Nate Newton really dumped on Josh Ball, but I still think he has some talent and just needs more time.

Will Grier does not have a strong enough arm, in my opinion. He is just not very good and I would hate to have to depend on him if Dak goes down. I would prefer DiNucci. He is starting to look like a very improved player. Another year and he might actually be good.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Alarcón looked like crap! I've defended him for years, but tonight, he definitely penalized himself out of a roster spot repeatedly.

Josh Ball actually plated very well against both Seahawks starters and backups. Big improvement from last 2 weeks.
The Ball news is encouraging
The Alarcon story is heading for a sad ending.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Cowboys have some tough decisions to make this week.

Shampklin getting hurt actually made one decision easier. But I think Malik Davis is the guy to keep.

The WR decision is also going to be tough. There are a few talented guys on the roster that won't make the team. I like Brandon Smith but I think he may not make the team.

Isaac Alarcon was awful tonight playing against the Seattle front line players. He was so overmatched. I think they still get an exemption for him but I do not see him making the 53 man roster.

The 2 Centers are Biadasz and Farniok. No one else comes close to them.

Nate Newton really dumped on Josh Ball, but I still think he has some talent and just needs more time.

Will Grier does not have a strong enough arm, in my opinion. He is just not very good and I would hate to have to depend on him if Dak goes down. I would prefer DiNucci. He is starting to look like a very improved player. Another year and he might actually be good.
Great takes
Thanks

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Still having some issues with my roster prediction based on what we've seen. I still lean heavy on the defensive side.

QB Prescott, DiNucci
REASON We'll probably keep Rush or Grier instead of DiNucci, but I feel DiNucci has earned a longer look and we're not going to win much with any of them if Prescott is hurt.

RB Elliott, Pollard, Dowdle
REASON I think the No. 3 spot was Davis' to win tonight and he didn't do it. Hopefully, we get him to the PS and Shampklin to IR

WR Lamb, Gallup, Brown, Tolbert, Fehoko, Turpin
REASON I like both Houston and Brandon Smith, better than some of the players we're keeping, but I think we can get both guys to the PS ... and Dallas has these ahead of him. If they go short-term IR with Washington, then we'll have to clear a roster spot for him initially.

TE Schultz, Ferguson, Hendershot
REASON Hendershot earned the third spot tonight. I'd put McKeon on the PS.

OTs Tyron Smith-IR, Tyler Smith, Steele, Ball, Waletzko (Aviante Collins)
REASON If we think Tyron will be back this year, we've got to keep him on the 53 initially so we'll have to clear a spot, which is why I have us cutting and bringing back Collins.

IL McGovern, Biadasz, Martin, Farniok
REASON I had us keeping five here with Tyler set to play guard, and four tackles, but I've reversed that. I put Collins down as the ninth guy, but I'm hopeful we pick up a vet despite the rhetoric from the Joneses

That gives me 23 on offense.

DE Lawrence, Fowler, Williams, Armstrong, Basham
REASON I feel fairly set with this group. We could cut Basham, though.

DT Gallimore, Odighizuwa, Bohanna, Hill, Golston, Watkins
REASON Ridgeway could be kept because he's a draft pick, but he needs to go to the PS.

LB Parsons, LVE, Barr, Cox, Gifford
REASON I think we go light at linebacker because Kearse also plays that position. That means Harper goes on the PS

CB Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Joseph, Wright/Goodwin, Bland
REASON I'm hedging my best on this one because I can't see us going with seven corners, but I don't know if Dallas is willing to cut Goodwin because of his special-teams prowess. Maybe with his special special-teamer role we keep Goodwin in addition to the six regular corners and cut Basham (can't see us reducing the offensive numbers any more than I already have).

S Kearse, Hooker, Wilson, Mukuamu, Bell
REASON I thought going into the preseason that we'd only keep four safeties, which would have made it easier to keep a seventh corner, but Mukuamu and Bell both showed too much to cut.

LS McQuaide
P Anger
K Maher
REASON I'm still kind of hoping we go a different direction at kicker because I don't trust Maher, but he looks good on the shorter kicks tonight.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jake and I were talking in chat, and he was saying to put Washington on the PUP list, which I think is a great way to handle the Washington deal right now.

Cannot PUP a player during the regular season who wasn't placed on PUP at the beginning of the preseason. He can only go on IR.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Ball news is encouraging
The Alarcon story is heading for a sad ending.

Don't be too encouraged. Ball is better than he's given credit for, but he's clearly got some issues that will cause him to get beat multiple times per game if he starts. Starting DEs set up their moves and Ball lets himself get suckered into the setup, which puts him in a bad position for the countermove.

Alarcon will likely be a PS exemption again this year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Don't be too encouraged. Ball is better than he's given credit for, but he's clearly got some issues that will cause him to get beat multiple times per game if he starts. Starting DEs set up their moves and Ball lets himself get suckered into the setup, which puts him in a bad position for the countermove.

Alarcon will likely be a PS exemption again this year.
Maybe ball can eventually be decent is the hope.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Maybe ball can eventually be decent is the hope.

I think so. He mainly seems to have to work on keeping his weight over his feet no matter what the defender is doing. His hands and feet are not real bad. He can get his hands chopped, though, but few have hands like Tyron that don't come off of you when he latches on. It seems like Tyler might, but Tyron understood how to do it without grabbing and pulling.

dogberry

Reaction score
Did Ball play any right tackle?

Ferguson is our best blocking TE.

Ferguson should be assigned as the permanent personal protector of whomever we choose at LT.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well there you go.
Best preseason play by the Cowboys in many years. #54 was a beast. #30 was a beast. #81 showed up. #48 with limited reps showed up. Ball played well. #60 played horribly which was disappointing. I’m really happy with how they can run the ball and stop the run. They’ve done it all preseason. Can’t wait to stick it down the haters throats.

rags747

Reaction score
Ball was a lot better, seems like a high effort guy plus he’s got pretty dam good change of direction, quick feet is what I saw.

blueblood70

Reaction score
odd i did NOT realize we only had 3 PS games i remember times we played 5 when we were in the HOF opener..that went by quick. Why just 3, is this the new NFL PS trend...??

dogberry

Reaction score
McCarthy when talking to Brad Sham liked having 2 weeks to prepare for the first game.