RELEASED Cowboys waive Cooper Rush

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody outside of the Saints are paying that much for a 3rd QB.

Saints are only doing because Brees is on his last legs and Hill seems more of a gadget guy than a true QB.

They weren’t going to pay QB3 $2.1M. Rush was gone when they upgraded to Dalton. They upgraded to Dalton because Dak isn’t signed and might not be in camp.

Rush isn’t the guy you go into camp with. Rush is the guy you roll the dice with to get you through the end of a game or a short week if your young, healthy starter goes down. A season-ending injury to Dak and we were always going to use Rush as the bridge to a veteran retread.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Imagine coming from nowhere and playing for NFL minimums for 3 years, finally get a decent little $2.1m one-year deal....then *poof* its gone a couple months later.

I realize it's no sob story - he still made $650k last year which is in reality a lot for a 23 year old, but now he's probably just a regular dude and needs to find a regular ol' job. At least he'll have some good stories!

Btw - I think it's a good move for the team.

Hopefully he was smart about the money he made.

Not sure if I was him I would ever get a regular job. Maybe he tries to get into coaching if he cant land anywhere else.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Dalton, Dinucci, Thorsen now the depth chart at QB.

Guess they liked Thorsen over Rush, or it was just to save the cap space as well.

Rush was owed $2.1M for 2020. If they get back that cap space, then at minimum, Andy Dalton only costs them $900K more.

Massive upgrade at an even better price (IF they get back that cap space)

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
They weren’t going to pay QB3 $2.1M. Rush was gone when they upgraded to Dalton. They upgraded to Dalton because Dak isn’t signed and might not be in camp.

Rush isn’t the guy you go into camp with. Rush is the guy you roll the dice with to get you through the end of a game or a short week if your young, healthy starter goes down. A season-ending injury to Dak and we were always going to use Rush as the bridge to a veteran retread.

Exactly. I’m sure if they knew they were getting dalton they would not have tendered Rush.

rags747

Reaction score
Hmmm, let’s see...Math Major, lived the Dream for 3 years, made some decent cash that most college grads did not make. What’s not to love?!

Dak, Dalton, DiNucci. 2021 Dalton moves on and DiNucci becomes the backup. Looking good...

Reaction score
Just my guess but I think we carry 3 QB
DiNucci is a guy they wanted bad enough to use a pick on because they know many teams wanted him as a UDFA
Don’t think they give them another chance to get him

I've heard suggestions that the teams may be allowed to carry more players if the season is shortened because of Wuhan Virus (no bye week).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LOL...……..My god...……..MM didn't even want to see the guy. LOL

And this is the backup that the horrid Garrett chose for the last two years?

Thank you Jerry for firing the clapping carrot. :oldcouple::oldcouple::oldcouple:

I believe it's more like since it was clear that Rush was not going to be the No. 2 quarterback then it's better to let him move on. He's not a developmental No. 3 at this point so he had no chance of remaining here.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Guess there's only room for one ginger on the roster (or at least the QB room).

A lot of faith in DiNucci being Dalton's backup...