News: Cowboys waive DE David Carter and CB Greenwood...One open roster spot

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone not think that D-line will (or should) be an emphasis in the draft next year?

That would be the obvious conclusion! LOL!

But it won't work out that way.

Will Dallas draft a DL early? Yeah probably first or second rounds.

But I wouldn't expect 2 out of the first 3 picks to be DL.

They're still going to need another guard.

And Romo's eventual replacement is going to have to be found.

My hope is out of this collage of no-name defensive lineman that a couple will prove to be adequate. Throw Ware in the mix and a resigned Hatcher.. Oh and the kid that blew out his Achilles.

That's five guys. Draft a couple more. Bring in a non-drafted rookie and one cheap free agent.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Spencer resigned to a low-cost incentive laden contract.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So basically the same deal, he just finished? I think he's going to want and probably get more than a $1million raise.

he'll be finishing a 3 year 6 mill deal. He might want a larger raise than that, but really, what we are looking at is a guy who finally started to play well at 30, so he's not really in a spot to get a huge deal.

30+ year old DTs just don't get big deals.

Nexx

Reaction score
i would really hope guard and dline would be at least 2 out of our 3 first picks.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I also wouldn't be shocked to see Spencer resigned to a low-cost incentive laden contract.

I agree. It make the most sense for both sides. Spencer knows the scheme and could rebuild his value in an environment he is comfortable with and the Cowboys will get a player with upside on an incentive based deal. The wildcard is Spencer's health obviously, but coming back on that kind of contract works for everyone involved.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Hatcher will probably get 10+ sacks this year. For a DT, that is a lot of sacks. He is earning a raise. His age is a factor, but he was used sparingly in his early years and his body hasn't taken a beating. He might persuade Jerry to give him a big two year contract, or he might be franchised, which would result in a raise as well.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I agree. It make the most sense for both sides. Spencer knows the scheme and could rebuild his value in an environment he is comfortable with and the Cowboys will get a player with upside on an incentive based deal. The wildcard is Spencer's health obviously, but coming back on that kind of contract works for everyone involved.

Also agreed.

Spencer's knee will be questioned on any expensive negotiation, and it may work out that his best option is in Big D.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone not think that D-line will (or should) be an emphasis in the draft next year?

Depends. We know Crawford and Bass will return and Hatcher also. Rat and Spencer - who knows, likely gone. Then all the FA's we signed this year will get another look. Bottom line - I'd still go DL early (we need to get young talent IMO) but there should be more bodies than roter spots already.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also signed running back Davin Meggett, who has been with the Colts and Texans the last two years. A former standout at Maryland, Meggett is the son of former Giants RB David Meggett.

That makes me feel old.

visionary

Reaction score
Hatcher will probably get 10+ sacks this year. For a DT, that is a lot of sacks. He is earning a raise. His age is a factor, but he was used sparingly in his early years and his body hasn't taken a beating. He might persuade Jerry to give him a big two year contract, or he might be franchised, which would result in a raise as well.

If we are unwilling to learn from even our own previous mistakes then we deserve what we get

Injuries and slow healing with aging are more than just wear and tear

No way should we sign hatcher for more than 2 years OR a 'big' deal
Sign him to a first rd tender for 1 year and via draft and FA get 2 DL starting caliber players

In the next couple of years we will need to replace ware, spencer and hatcher

Better start planning for it now

Wood

Reaction score

It should have been emphasis of this past draft that some of us were clamouring for.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
he'll be finishing a 3 year 6 mill deal. He might want a larger raise than that, but really, what we are looking at is a guy who finally started to play well at 30, so he's not really in a spot to get a huge deal.

30+ year old DTs just don't get big deals.

How much did Cullen Jenkins make when Eags signed him from Pack. Similar age, production and position.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How much did Cullen Jenkins make when Eags signed him from Pack. Similar age, production and position.

Cullen Jenkins was starting his first season with the Eagles at 30, not at 32. There is a huge difference there

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Hatcher also really wants to be here. He's settled in with a family here.
He would consider the Saints and Texans other teams in this region but he has little desire to roam far and wide at this point in his career.
We will have to pay him but we won't have to see him eat a large cap hit.

Spencer is almost certainly gone so that frees up a lot of cash.
Selvie and Tyrone Crawford likely share that spot at a fraction of the cost.

Bass plays inside but would look really good behind Hatcher IMHO.

Spencer isn't on the books next year, and he never was. No cash is freed up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spencer isn't on the books next year, and he never was. No cash is freed up.

They will gain 10.6M relative to the 2013 cap. One method to project the cap is to compare the increases and decreases relative to the current year.