Twitter: Cowboys were interested in Sean Payton

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
For team moral you can't name a coach under the head coach as head coach in waiting. The player would think that if management doesn't have faith enough in the head coach that their already naming a new one in waiting why should I wreck my body for the current head coach. Not to mention what that head coach would think and feel for the same reason.

I think the players would understand Bill wasn’t going to be here long term and that Sean was his replacement when Bill decided to retire

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It is well know that he would be Jerry's top choice if available. They are friends and socialize together.

It would have been dumb for Payton to turn down the contract from the Saints.

People laughed at my conspiracy theory that the Cowboys or at least Stephen Jones were planning to move on from Garrett regardless of the 2019 season results.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think the players would understand Bill wasn’t going to be here long term and that Sean was his replacement when Bill decided to retire

And what if things went differently and Parcells stayed for like 8 years was Payton supposed to just keep waiting for this retirement? I've been a Cowboys fans since the first day they were the Cowboys and when Parcells came to Dallas, me like many other thought Parcells came and his plan was to win another Super Bowl here and then retire. So after just 3 seasons in Dallas it would have been unlikely that the QB/assistant head coach who already was offered one head coaching job the year before, would continue to turn down actual head coaching offers waiting for the Cowboys to win another Super Bowl or Parcells either just getting tired of trying or got tired of Jones and retired. Not to mention all the bad feelings of players, assistant coaches and Parcells of announcing there is a head coach in waiting. it may sound good in your head but if it's such a good idea why don't the rest of the teams do that. There have been assistant coaches that they decided to sick with a team because they thought they could at sometime in the future would get the head coaching job, but we don't see teams doing that. That's a bad business practice.