Twitter: Cowboys were interested in Sean Payton

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The Saints got screwed last year. They would have been in the SB had it not been for the refs...
They would have been in the Superbowl if Peyton had better play calling in that game. You sound like Sean....it's the refs fault....cry imoji. What about the year before angainst the Vikings....is coaching not the blame for that either? Who's fault will it be this year when Sean once again falls short with the best team in the NFC with an all time great QB?

ksadler1

Reaction score
thats debatable because at that time a lot of the coaches would have stayed with payton since most ended up working with him in New Orleans.

But it doesn't matter because he earned his opportunity to be head coach of the saints in 06 and it would be the worst thing an organization can do to deny someone the chance to move up.

The Saints gave him full authority, something he would not have had here. You cannot win as a coach in the NFL with the owner constantly undermining you. If you know of an example where a team is successful year-in and year-out, with an owner like that, l'd love to hear about it...

MikeB80

Reaction score
The Saints gave him full authority, something he would not have had here. You cannot win as a coach in the NFL with the owner constantly undermining you. If you know of an example where a team is successful year-in and year-out, with an owner like that, l'd love to hear about it...

how is this a response to what I said?

CB61

Reaction score
There was a subtle difference. Phillips had already been an NFL head coach and Payton was not. Again hindsight shows Payton turned out to be a good head coach but again the mile long list of position coaches that fail as head coaches is long. Yes you can put Phillips on that list.
Yes you are correct was just making a statement about that they could have had him a long time ago as far as I know they didn't even discuss it with him they let him go no questions asked or let him go interview I should say just like today in the NFL you have to be insightful and be willing to take some chances the Cowboys have always been innovators in the NFL years ago anyway Jerry Jones has lost that after Jimmy Johnson so it was simply a statement I mean you can argue with me all day it's not going to change my mind

CB61

Reaction score
Yes you are correct was just making a statement about that they could have had him a long time ago as far as I know they didn't even discuss it with him they let him go no questions asked or let him go interview I should say just like today in the NFL you have to be insightful and be willing to take some chances the Cowboys have always been innovators in the NFL years ago anyway Jerry Jones has lost that after Jimmy Johnson so it was simply a statement I mean you can argue with me all day it's not going to change my mind
Or debate it with me however you want to look at it

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dude you keep explaining the game as if I was not born when the game was on. They had a chance to win the game and Sean made some questionable play calls after that. Again...did they have time to win the game or did they not? After the game Sean only talked about the refs and never mentioned his questionable play calling after that play. This is either true or it is not.....answer this question. No need for insults to make you feel better about your manhood.

Please tell all of us all of these questionable calls that Payton made after kicking a field goal to take the lead with 1:41 LEFT IN THE GAME and the final 15 SECONDS LET IN THE GAME when the saints got the ball back? I can't wait for this!

ksadler1

Reaction score
They would have been in the Superbowl if Peyton had better play calling in that game. You sound like Sean....it's the refs fault....cry imoji. What about the year before angainst the Vikings....is coaching not the blame for that either? Who's fault will it be this year when Sean once again falls short with the best team in the NFC with an all time great QB?

My point is, the refs are missing obvious calls that are affecting the outcomes of games.The teams themselves should not have to overcome that, yet every year this happens. The SB is no longer the 2 best teams, it's the teams screwed the least by bad calls or non-calls...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Again short of firing Parcells just what could Jones have done to keep Payton. He had already made him assistant head coach with a raise the year before, so just what could Jones have done?

MikeB80

Reaction score
Are you not claiming Payton could have done here what he's done in NO, even with the same staff?

I am saying if Parcells had resigned in 06 so Payton could be the head coach he would have had a good staff and I believe he would have had control of his staff. No one tells jerry and steve what to do but I think payton would have had control of the staff he had working for him.

I also think in an odd twist that Payton might have hired Garrett here if Jerry brought that to him because the two were friends and were together in NY. I don't think its a stretch to say Payton would have been fine with garrett....The difference is Garrett would have left to be a head coach if he was responsible for the offense playing well which would be near impossible given Payton as the head coach.

anyway, Full control no, control of his own staff Yes.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Please tell all of us all of these questionable calls that Payton made after kicking a field goal to take the lead with 1:41 LEFT IN THE GAME and the final 15 SECONDS LET IN THE GAME when the saints got the ball back? I can't wait for this!
Oh I wish you would have started this conversation with you didnt watch the game lol. But I'll play along. As the head coach he allowed the team and coaches to focus on that play as if the game was over and it wasnt. OT and why did Sean call a pass play which went incomplete to stop the clock?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh I wish you would have started this conversation with you didnt watch the game lol. But I'll play along. As the head coach he allowed the team and coaches to focus on that play as if the game was over and it wasnt. OT and why did Sean call a pass play which went incomplete to stop the clock?

That's your big long list of questionable calls? Lets see, it was 3rd and 10 already in easy field goal range and getting a 1st would mean they could run the clock ALL THE WAY DOWN leaving zero chance for the rams. The rams expected a run on that 3rd down and Payton caught them off guard which is evident by the DB having to mug the receiver trying to catch up to him. Had that mugging hadn't happened the saints would have run out the clock. If the refs called that mugging the saints would have run out the clock and game over. Neither case was there any horrendous call by Payton. Again go take some drugs.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That's your big long list of questionable calls? Lets see, it was 3rd and 10 already in easy field goal range and getting a 1st would mean they could run the clock ALL THE WAY DOWN leaving zero chance for the rams. The rams expected a run on that 3rd down and Payton caught them off guard which is evident by the DB having to mug the receiver trying to catch up to him. Had that mugging hadn't happened the saints would have run out the clock. If the refs called that mugging the saints would have run out the clock and game over. Neither case was there any horrendous call by Payton. Again go take some drugs.
This is going absolutely no where. FACT - there was time left in the game for the Saints to win the game. FACT - just like the year before Sean took no blame for the lost despite being the HC and the leader of the team. This is either true or it is not.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is going absolutely no where. FACT - there was time left in the game for the Saints to win the game. FACT - just like the year before Sean took no blame for the lost despite being the HC and the leader of the team. This is either true or it is not.

You saying FACT but given ZERO facts to back up your claim. You have failed countless times now to give us these "facts" with the saints having taken the lead with 1:41 left IN THE GAME and only having the ball for the final 15 SECONDS of the game of all the things that were Payton's fault and didn't do. Some day when you actually learn the game of football and see there was ZERO Payton did or didn't do in the final 15 seconds to win that game. Remember you said there thingS that Payton could have done so if you can't list these multiple thingS then don't bother to reply. You've shown your foolishness long enough.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Boy IR is some hard hitting journalist. That tweet is just so insightful. Who knew?

I seriously doubt what Rapoport claims actually happened because if he knew about it then the league would have also known about it and the Cowboys would have hit with tampering because Payton was still under contract.

Bigdog

Reaction score
That is actually my point against Sean as coach. But I can dig the sarcasm
Glad you got the sarcasm. I was a little concern after I posted it that some people might not get it. Didn’t want to offend you.