Cowboys will meet with George Iloka on Friday

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Because they had two starters already. They only signed him as insurance when the Bengals cut him for cap reasons.

What do you guys think you are going to get at this point in the game? Darren Woodson floating out there?
No ......Eric Berry

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually, Iloka is not really better then Heath, as far as tackling goes. Plus, he really fell off last year in that area. He only started 3 games for the Vikes last year but he was available for all 16 games and he only had 16 tackles. Heath recorded 85 tackles last year and there is no question, at all, that Heath is the much better athlete. I just don't see the advantage with Iloka, to be honest.

Iloka was cut in late August and the Vikes signed him as insurance for Harrison Smith and Sendejo. That's why he didn't play a ton. He also was never a good fit with that the Vikes did on defense. He was pretty good in Cincy playing many of the zone schemes we use now.

Sydla

Reaction score
That may or may not be true, we do ask Heath to match up on TEs and I've watched Iloke play, he is more of a liability in coverage IMO. Having said this, even if we are just talking about playing the run, Iloka has never posted as productive a season as did Heath, last year. I mean, I just don't see the upgrade that everybody is talking about here.

Iloka is much better in the zone coverages we use than Heath.

And for Heath's tackle numbers note he was the 2nd worst at missing tackles amongst Ss.

And I know PFF is frowned upon by some, but they had Iloka rated higher than Heath too last year.

aria

Reaction score
Too bad we can’t find a reliable guy that’s played a few games in the past 2 years, that’s what this team could really use!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
How are we "tight"? You are talking about a franchise that brought in vet CBs and then still draft two CBs in the first four rounds a couple of years ago.
How are we "tight"? You are talking about a franchise that brought in vet CBs and then still draft two CBs in the first four rounds a couple of years ago.

Key word in this paragraph " couple of years ago".

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Iloka is much better in the zone coverages we use than Heath.

And for Heath's tackle numbers note he was the 2nd worst at missing tackles amongst Ss.

And I know PFF is frowned upon by some, but they had Iloka rated higher than Heath too last year.
And now CIN, MINN and OAK have all passed and MINN lost Sendejo

Sydla

Reaction score
No ......Eric Berry

LOL.

The guy who has played like 4 games in 3 years? You do realize you aren't getting the Eric Berry from 5 years ago, right?

But hey, if the Cowboys want to bring in Berry fine by me. Just bring in someone better than Heath whether that be Berry, or Iloka or Boston.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
How is that a key word?

Signing a DT or a S isn't going to preclude them from taking one if the right guy is there at their picks.

I am all for taking the best value at 58 I dont care if it is S or DT, I would not be mad. H--- I would be ecstatic. Who knows what there thinking would be. No one can predict we can just hope. Peace!

Sydla

Reaction score
You are the one using 'he was blocked' excuse

He was a late August addition to the Vikes. They signed him as insurance for Sendejo and Kearse. It should surprise no one that he didn't start right away for them.

Again, he's pretty much an average S. No one has suggested otherwise. But he's better than Heath. He also has shown he is pretty effective playing in the zone schemes we use here. If you want Berry over him, I won't quibble. I just want one of them and I only really need then for one year, because I am hoping they draft a SS that will be ready to take over full time in 2020.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't know if there is really much, if any, of an upgrade here over Heath. I mean, Iloka has been in the league for one more season and he only has one more INT, career wise. If Ballhawking skills are what we are looking for, I don't think Iloka is the answer that many of the fans might be hoping for.

I agree that Iloka may not be an upgrade, but I would hope we’re looking for a better tackler than Heath.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He was a late August addition to the Vikes. They signed him as insurance for Sendejo and Kearse. It should surprise no one that he didn't start right away for them.

Again, he's pretty much an average S. No one has suggested otherwise. But he's better than Heath. He also has shown he is pretty effective playing in the zone schemes we use here. If you want Berry over him, I won't quibble. I just want one of them and I only really need then for one year, because I am hoping they draft a SS that will be ready to take over full time in 2020.
I don't hate him ..... he is just like Cobb, Covington, Hurns, Austin, Kyler.......mehhhhhh

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't hate him ..... he is just like Cobb, Covington, Hurns, Austin, Kyler.......mehhhhhh

Until otherwise proven, that's kind of how I feel about Berry. His injuries have been pretty catastrophic in terms of ability to stay on the field.