Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will still have a conversation with Dez Bryant regarding the wide receiver's contract but "it's not time yet." He said the additions of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson are about driving up competition at receiver.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I used to think the contract was bad.. Then Free Agency happened.

Dez is currently underpaid at the going rate.

You could just move on from him all together but this fan base and media won't be able to grasp how irrelevant a bigtime #1 WR is so they will harp on the Cowboys about it until they go get another guy that they won't use correctly.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

Ebnorice

Reaction score
I’m all for this. Sign him to a 3 year extension. Lower his cap charges. Give him guaranteed money he doesn’t have in the contract now. Keep him here for his career. He wants to stay a cowboy.
100% agree. I mean Sammy Watkins got like 16m right ?!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yup. He will get extended and cap hit reduced. I think that's what is happening

I hope.

I'm a Dez fan. I know the cool thing to do is to hate on him right now and want him off the team but I don't think there is a Dez problem. I think it's a poor coaching and a QB problem as well.

Dez has to fix the dropped balls though but Dez dropping passes at the rate he did this year was a fluke.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they can compromise and do an extension that satisfies both parties.

This is the obvious solution here. Though Stephen seems pretty adamant about getting a concession on this one. Jerry seemed set on keeping him, though.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. You'd think if they were intending to cut him they'd have had those discussion before the start of FA. Dez ought to have gotten at least the benefit they gave to Scandrick, right? It doesn't seem like a Jerry thing to take one of his pet players and make him sit through the salary cap drying up on everybody's rosters, add two WRs to the roster, and then head into the draft only to turn around and say 'oh, yeah, Dez, we've been meaning to talk to you about your contract...'

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yup. He will get extended and cap hit reduced. I think that's what is happening

And the time will be right when we need the money. Dallas doesn't tend to redo contracts or activate restructures until it has to open up cap space.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not sure what they are gonna talk about
You pay him or cut him
They have no leverage to force him to take a paycut

They have leverage they can cut him and he wants to be a Cowboy.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No way would I extend Dez. I like him and don't think his decline in production is because he suddenly sucks. There are a lot of factors at play here.

However, if anything I think the Cowboys might be starting to realize (hopefully) that WR is not a premium position, especially in this offense. They barely skipped a beat in 2016 when Dez was out. Having 2 or 3 solid WRs that are affordable allows them to spend money else where.

I would rather take the hit now than back load more money for a WR who could very likely be playing his last season in Dallas.