Twitter: Cowboys working out a safety today and one tomorrow

Sydla

Reaction score
Johnson hasn't played in a year. So Stephen is probably thinking it's a shrewd move because he's got fresh legs.

I hope and pray Woods' injury isn't that bad. He absolutely needs to come back healthy ASAP. This front office clearly has no desire to try to get better there.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Dominick Sanders signing is to get a body for practice and the preseason. I don't think the Cowboys see him as more than that. With Xavier Woods, Jameill Showers, and Marqueston Huff hurt, they have to get through the preseason.

I hate to clue in the front office but they have more than a camp body problem.

They have a starting FS problem too.

So here's a crazy thought. Instead of signing a bunch of camp bodies, let's also bring in a guy, who I know CRAZY THOUGHT HERE, can actually play and help us Week 1, especially if Woods is still bothered by a hamstring injury?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

So here's a crazy thought. Instead of signing a bunch of camp bodies, let's also bring in a guy, who I know CRAZY THOUGHT HERE, can actually play and help us Week 1, especially if Woods is still bothered by a hamstring injury?

They could still bring in George Iloka. Sanders and his camp minimum salary won't change that.

Look, I'm frustrated too that the problem at safety has been ignored constantly. But at this point all the best options are under contract. Aside from Iloka and the dream that is Earl Thomas, who is out there right now?

cern

Reaction score
It's possible the coaches knew a couple of safeties on the roster wouldn't make the cut and we're being prepared. Chance favors the prepared mind.

Rayman70

Reaction score

agree 100%. Tired of all the depth bs..we have a starting safety issue. WE DONT HAVE ONE ON THE ROSTER.

Carson

Reaction score
The kid was productive in college so let's see what he can do

Problem is, if they liked him they should’ve picked him up last week and let him get going.

Now it’s a depth, inactive week one, cut when Woods is healthy.

I like this kid. So don’t get it twisted. No reason he isn’t on somebodies squad.

Frazier is going to get roasted week one

DiResta

Reaction score
Typical. Bargain bin bull crap.

They could actually be a bit desperate and go sign a guy like Iloka who actually played decently last year and probably get him relatively cheap.

But nah. That would make too much sense.
Sanders seems like a 'to good to be true' guy on the street, I wonder what his horrible flaw is?

a player who left school tied for the UGA record for career interceptions (16) and the owner of the school record for interception return yardage. He started all 15 games for the SEC champs as a senior, posting 37 stops — 3.5 of them for loss — a team-high 4 interceptions and 5 pass breakups. And here’s the most astounding stat: Sanders played in every single game Georgia played in his career — 53 — and started all but one. That one start he missed was because he had to sit out the first half of a game because of a targeting penalty

he played with Roquan, that defense was pretty good

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sanders seems like a 'to good to be true' guy on the street, I wonder what his horrible flaw is?

he played with Roquan, that defense was pretty good
LETS SEE. His flaw may be his game doesn't translate to the NFL..THAT SIMPLE.

morasp

Reaction score
Sanders was a three-star prospect and first-team All-Georgia from the Atlanta metro area that was rated as a receiver, athlete, and cornerback. Turned out his best position was safety, as he's scheduled to be a four-year starter there for the Bulldogs. Sanders was Georgia's Newcomer of the Year in 2014, starting 13 games (34 tackles, fumble return for touchdown) and intercepting two passes against Louisville in the Belk Bowl. He was voted second-team All-SEC by league coaches the following year, starting 12 of 13 games played, making 48 tackles, five for loss, one sack, six pass breakups, and leading the team with six interceptions, returning them for a school-record 205 yards. Sanders started 13 games again in 2016, also pacing the Bulldogs with three interceptions to go along with 34 tackles and seven pass breakups. He started all 15 games for the SEC champs as a senior, posting 37 stops, 3.5 for loss, a team-high four interceptions, and five pass breakups. Dominick's brother, Chris, also played at Georgia, though he was dismissed for an off-field incident and eventually ended up at Baylor.

Overview
Undersized but athletic, Sanders has a four-year resume of putting himself into position to play the ball and taking it away once he gets there. His route anticipation and short-area burst to close on throws in front of him is impressive, but his inability to range over the top and handle long speed is a concern. Sanders dearth of size and speed will likely hurt his draft stock, but he his ball skills and anticipation give him a chance to make some noise in a camp.

Strengths
  • He finds the ball more than the ball finds him
  • Consistent interception production a product of instincts and ball skills
  • Good fluidity of movement
  • Good lateral agility to transition in space
  • Plus route recognition
  • Ample stick-and-drive twitch to race receiver to the throw
  • Improved his path to the ball and showed he could adjust his angle on the move
  • Underappreciated feel for throws a quarterback can and can't make
  • Darts underneath when recognizing opponent doesn't have arm strength to beat him over the top
  • Attacks the ball in front of routes or under them
  • High pointer with excellent body control and hand-eye coordination
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dominick-sanders?id=32462018-0002-5601-82e4-76c49d91ce76