Cowboys workout former 1st round wr N'Keal Harry

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I actually expect all of their backs to look good in preseason and there will be big discussions here on who should make the team. I'll go with Pollard, Vaughn, Davis, and Luepke.
Don't be surprised if our RB roster doesn’t scare anyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if they do very well.
If Pollard can carry the load for 20-25 carries a game for 17 weeks , we might be ok. If not we could have some issues. Vaughn is only one I have some hope he can provide a spark.

Bottomline is RB isn’t a position of strength for us offensively.

quickccc

Reaction score
They chose Tyron Johnson over him. It's safe to call N'Keal Harry a bust now.
- Callaway's game was Speed .... Tyrone Johnson's game is Speed .

- Its obvious that the staff wants to implement killer speed into this WR unit . .separation burner over the top speed.

- ala Brandin Cooks whose long been one of the premiere speed WRs in the NFL.

- Before his ACL injury, look what former Cowboys WR Jaylen Guyton has done for Chargers in spot duty as the 3rd or 4th WR

- Look at the sneak a peek OTAs where tiny but speedy Turpin is finally being look at WR , instead of just a pure returner.

- Simi Fehoko is a fast str8 liner with 4.37 speed - if no DB can get his hands on him at the line ... and he's not the most agile of athletes, imo.

- Does Jalen Tolbert " play fast " ? .... at this point we have not seen it. He's been on a mental stall thus far.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

Has been an upset, seeing if you all think he can maybe make the practice squad

Cowboys workout former first-round WR N'Keal Harry​

Though Harry was the No. 32 overall pick in 2019, he's regarded as one of the biggest first-round busts in recent draft history. The 2019 class was loaded with receivers, and the Patriots took Harry over Deebo Samuel (No. 36 overall), A.J. Brown (No. 51), D.K Metcalf (No. 64), Diontae Johnson (No. 66), and Terry McLaurin (No. 76), respectively.

A former superstar in the Pac-12 at Arizona State, Harry never lived up to expectations with the Patriots. He didn't produce under Tom Brady, was even worse when Cam Newton took the reins after Brady signed with the Buccaneers, and was out of the rotation entirely by the time 2022 rolled around.

Last year, the Pats finally cut their losses and shipped Harry to the Bears for a seventh-round draft choice. He missed over half the year with an ankle injury, including the first five games and finished the season with seven catches for 116 yards and a touchdown.

Ironically, Harry's best game came against the Cowboys in Week 8 when he caught two passes for 24 yards and a touchdown.

Maybe Dallas thinks it can catch lightning in a bottle with Harry, but he'd arguably contribute more as a blocker than as a receiver.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/cowboys-host-recent-first-round-bust-nkeal-harry-free-agent

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
To Jerry: Would you frickin' quit drafting WRs just because they're big and strong? Please, Jerry, that's not the primary trait that makes a WR successful. Read a dang scouting report. When a WR is listed as a "one speed runner w/ no explosiveness", DO NOT DRAFT HIM.
Jerry's always fighting the last war.

Big and strong worked out pretty well with Irvin and Dez, but that's because they had Aikman and Romo throwing to them.

Dak is simply the wrong QB to be drafting big, strong receivers for. He needs guys who get separation.

Two overlooked receivers who could give Dak separation are Pollad and Deuce. Send Pollard deep, and *most likely* the guy they have paired up on Pollard simply can't keep up. And Dak has a nice deep ball if he has a receiver running to open field.
Meanwhile, Deuce has incredible quickness and always looks like a natural ball catcher to me. And Dak made a lot of use of Beasley until teams broke out bracket coverage against him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The question I have is WHY is Dallas working out so many wide receivers?
I'm guessing McCarthy is trying to bring in more WRs that fit his vision of the offense. I'd expect churn. I'll expect we'll bring in another RB, or two.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm guessing McCarthy is trying to bring in more WRs that fit his vision of the offense. I'd expect churn. I'll expect we'll bring in another RB, or two.
What is his vision? Let's pick up a bunch of draft busts?

I expect nothing from this guy. He hasn't produced at all in the NFL.

plasticman

Reaction score
Want to take a guess as to who Jalen Tolbert was compared to? Yup, that would be NKeal.

What is the biggest trait they have in common? Both lack explosiveness. Which means they're not going to be able to create separation. Which means they can't get open. Which means their upside is almost nonexistent.

To Jerry: Would you frickin' quit drafting WRs just because they're big and strong? Please, Jerry, that's not the primary trait that makes a WR successful. Read a dang scouting report. When a WR is listed as a "one speed runner w/ no explosiveness", DO NOT DRAFT HIM.
True, it wasn't Harold Carmichael who changed the way defenses cover WR's. It was Bob Hayes.

Carmichael may have been 6'8, but Bob Hayes was the fastest man on the planet.

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean this scouting report?

Silky smooth athlete who has morphed into a monster over the last two seasons. Tolbert is a high-character prospect with skill elements that are dripping with NFL potential. He gave work to everyone he faced, including SEC cover corners at Tennessee. His three-sport background offers unique perspective to pull from at his position, and his route-running gives him a leg up in camp battles early on. His traits, talent and production should push him up the board, and dialing up the competitive spirit could turn him into a top-flight WR2.

Strengths
  • Put together big games against the best opponents.
  • Right at home against SEC cornerbacks (SEE: Tennessee game).
  • Stellar 2021 production, including seven games of 100-plus yards.
  • Shimmies feet and shakes press jam.
  • Fights through grabby coverage.
  • Routes are gliding and smooth.
  • Stick-shift route runner with excellent change of speeds.
  • Powerful pre-break burst fools the coverage.
  • Sinks hips for quick, sharp turns.
  • High school baseball player with natural tracking talent.
  • Frames up his defender and imposes his will on the high-point.
That's a warning sign in itself, when scouting reports vary to this degree.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’d feel more confident with someone more proven like with Pollard.

But at least you can name them. I certainly don’t recall Jones , Dowdle and Luepe playing last year. Vaughn is interesting prospect . So Davis only one with any real playing time as a backup .

Again , doesn’t breed a lot of confidence especially if Pollard can’t carry it 25 times a game for 17 weeks. If he misses any time our running game is in big trouble,
who th ehell in this league carries it 25 times a game????? Dalvin Cook carried it 20 times 4 games, 22 times 1 game.... all others was way below those numbers....down in the 11,13,14 type carries per game. You telling me Pollard cant do that?????

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How did he do ? Why did Chiefs let him go?
Because last year Isiah Pacheco emerged for them and became a very good player. Then they have Edwards Helaire, their 2020 1st rd pick, veteran pass catcher out of the backfield Jerrick Mckinnon.... and Jones made it very clear to Reid he wats to play. he asked for his release last year and the chiefs didnt release him. Ronald jones was a solid back for the Bucs, and then Fournette just took over at the end of 21 and dominated in the playoffs. There was real doubt on who the starter would be in that season.... so for cheap money, There is not a chance we are going to find a better back than Jones to be the 3rd back IMO.