Cowboys workout former 1st round wr N'Keal Harry

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Brooks may end up on the PS.

But that WR5 spot either goes to a guy who can play STs or someone you keep that you think can be at least a WR2 in the future.

I don't think Simi plays STs. Not sure about Tolbert. WR4 could come down to one or the other of those two with WR5 being somone that can play on the coverage units. Brooks has done that in college. Durden could possibly do it as well.
Simi does play STs, he was basically drafted to be a more talented version of Brown.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Given that he played at a small school, online game cutups being gone now the Bannon case is settled, and his athletic metrics, it seems more likely you never watched him play in college.
He played for Arizona State. Not sure that qualifies as a small school.

I watched enough to know he wasn't anywhere near a first round talent and have been proven correct.

Just for giggles, here's a scouting report on him.

WEAKNESSES
—Isn't exceptionally fast and can struggle at times to separate with speed.

—Allows coverage to hang too close and relies on back-shoulder and contested catches too often.

—Can struggle at times to sink his hips and play with good lower-body flexibility in his route tree.

—Will be typecast as a possession receiver due to lack of top-end speed.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
He's a strong kid. Did 27 reps while Parson only did 19. Did well on his Wonderlic test too. Maybe he makes the team being a ST star?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Want to take a guess as to who Jalen Tolbert was compared to? Yup, that would be NKeal.

What is the biggest trait they have in common? Both lack explosiveness. Which means they're not going to be able to create separation. Which means they can't get open. Which means their upside is almost nonexistent.

To Jerry: Would you frickin' quit drafting WRs just because they're big and strong? Please, Jerry, that's not the primary trait that makes a WR successful. Read a dang scouting report. When a WR is listed as a "one speed runner w/ no explosiveness", DO NOT DRAFT HIM.
This! ^^^^
:hammer: :hammer:

kskboys

Reaction score
Interesting:

His ability to find separation down the field and find an opening in the defense is what stands out the most though, since 2019, no other receiver in FBS had more catches of 15 or more yards than Tolbert. He was able to record 77 which was most among FBS wideouts.
Tolbert is a silky smooth athlete with the ability to create at all three levels with easy separation skills. He is a fluid route-runner showing good movement skills at the top of his routes to separate late, or early off the line with quality release skills.
Tolbert has excellent twitch and suddenness off the line. He can stack crisp feet motions to earn early separation, employing short bursts of energy in rapid succession.
Routes & Separation – Uses outstanding suddenness and sharpness to his route breaks. He has very good speed to not only maintain separation but gain separation after the break. Tolbert runs routes with precision and quickness.
I would not use that source any more. They were completely off about Harry.

"While Harry is a freakish athlete, this does not translate into his route running yet. He has a tendency to round off his routes."

And: "He can struggle changing directions. As explosive as he is in a straight line, he isn't laterally dynamic. Lacks a 3rd gear to break away from defenders and possesses more buildup speed than anything."

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I would not use that source any more. They were completely off about Harry.

"While Harry is a freakish athlete, this does not translate into his route running yet. He has a tendency to round off his routes."

And: "He can struggle changing directions. As explosive as he is in a straight line, he isn't laterally dynamic. Lacks a 3rd gear to break away from defenders and possesses more buildup speed than anything."
That's like 5 different sources. Not sure why it formatted my spacing into a single paragraph.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Malik Davis
Rico Dowdle
Ronald Jones
Hunter Luepke
Tony Pollard
Deuce Vaughn

How many do you think the Cowboys need?
I’d feel more confident with someone more proven like with Pollard.

But at least you can name them. I certainly don’t recall Jones , Dowdle and Luepe playing last year. Vaughn is interesting prospect . So Davis only one with any real playing time as a backup .

Again , doesn’t breed a lot of confidence especially if Pollard can’t carry it 25 times a game for 17 weeks. If he misses any time our running game is in big trouble,

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

But at least you can name them. I certainly don’t recall Jones , Dowdle and Luepe playing last year. Vaughn is interesting prospect . So Davis only one with any real playing time as a backup .

Again , doesn’t breed a lot of confidence especially if Pollard can’t carry it 25 times a game for 17 weeks. If he misses any time our running game is in big trouble,
You must not have liked what the Chiefs had last year.

rambo2

Reaction score

You are making a case for bringing Zeke back.

rambo2

Reaction score

All of their backs are interesting and should get a shot in preseason to see what they have. They can also bring Zeke back if they need him.

rambo2

Reaction score

I actually expect all of their backs to look good in preseason and there will be big discussions here on who should make the team. I'll go with Pollard, Vaughn, Davis, and Luepke.