News: Cowboys WR core ranked 12th (PFF)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Once the 2022 NFL season get's underway, I think it's fair to expect that the ratings for the Cowboys receiver corps will escalate easily to be in the top 10 and likely, near the top. The Cowboys have a bevy of young receivers with all the talent necessary to rate considerably higher than 12. Once the season gets sufficiently underway their success will be highly respected. The talent is there to be displayed proudly. They won't disappoint.

The ratings are always subject to the success that the team has at a given time. It might take a while for them to climb the ladder as a receiving corps but that seems to be a very promising situation. The Cowboys' receiving corps is young yet, but time will be kind, as to their level of success. I think it's quite realistic to expect top-notch success. Being rated12th is just a starting point. They'll be at or near the top by season's end. Count on it.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are all great WRs. Guess there's no excuses then.

Some people think its an excuse. Personally I dont think its an issue unless someone else gets hurt in the top 4. Then it could be a problem.

The big problem in Dallas is the Oline. Until that gets fixed it wont matter who we have at WR.

CB0711

Reaction score
Did you watch the game when he had to play #1 vs Chiefs, Raider, Broncos … he didn’t go over 100 yards with all three games combined.
Lol…get your facts straight…he missed half the Chiefs game due to an injury, didn’t play at all in the Raiders game (due to the injury above), and everyone played bad in the Broncos game, including Amari Cooper….so he wasn’t the “#1 receiver” in that game anyway.

quickccc

Reaction score
The one glaring issue with the current group is lack of deep speed. And they are not a physical group neither. Right now CD and Gallup are great #2s. James Washington and Tolbert are mid to low end #3s. The rest are ho hum.

One guy who brings elusiveness and speed is Pollard who should play a lot of slot and even swing wide from time to time. He could get a lot of favorable matchups. He could be like Deebo except as a RB. A guy who primarily runs but catches a lot and plays a lot of Recievers.

It's all up to Moore.

- The Cowboys have not pushed the emphasis for over the top of defense speed burners
and i can't say with Simi Fehoko is a burner type as he seems more of a 4.4 workout guy than shown anything in pads at NFL level that he has a deep vertical dimension game.

- I wonder if something has changed with the offense with the WR emphasis more a return back to size-length and route running...than pure speed.

- Noah Brown (yaaaawn) is most definitely ho-hum.

- i can't see Pollard as a Deebo in that sense, because Moore and Co, have done literally nuthin to develop him as a receiver in his years here. Not even as a RB.

Bates

Reaction score
no you just can’t see talent. CD is a legit stud #1 and gallop is a great #2.

tolber will turn out to be a great #3 and Washington is a great #4.

They’re Gr-r-reat! Now I want some Frosted Flakes.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would feel a lot better with just one more veteran receiver. He doesn't have to be an alpha, just capable of playing a role and performing at an acceptable level as a starter in the case of an injury.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
we all have our opinions. I think CD benefited a lot from Cooper. now he gets all the attention. its up to him to show he is legit#1. his drops have to stop.
Hardly. Coop had drops too. Lamb was legit #1 last season when he out performed Coop in terms of catches per game, yards per game, yards per reception, & catch percentage. It’s easy to get hyped for what year three of Lamb could look like.

He's more than blossomed, he's in full bloom!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Hardly. Coop had drops too. Lamb was legit #1 last season when he out performed Coop in terms of catches per game, yards per game, yards per reception, & catch percentage. It’s easy to get hyped for what year three of Lamb could look like.

He's more than blossomed, he's in full bloom!
well, we can't say that CD didn't benefit from Cooper, and the same for Cooper, he benefited from CD. lets see how CD plays this season without cooper. I hope you are right. proof is in the pudding, not projections and assumptions

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I like how this WR group is full of underdogs.

The only one people really respect is Gallup, and he's out.

Lamb has doubters about whether he can pull his weight as #1, and a lot of that depends on a third-round rookie from a small school until Gallup gets back.

Can he do it? Well, Tolbert, until he proves it, Tolbert is just a division two slouch, who's too slow and green for the NFL.

That leaves us clinging to our hopes with the Steelers' reject James Washington, likely an UDFA and/or Fehoko, and our "blocking WR", whatever that is, Noah Brown.

I suspect that if things get too slow on offense, if our guys can't pull their weight, we'll resort to playing Parsons more on offense. That, or Moore will finally see the light and play Pollard more early on and throughout the game. Zeke should split carries with Pollard 50/50, but Pollard should begin the game, then Zeke cleans up. It just makes more sense to have Zeke come in on fresh legs, and to have Pollard wear out the defense. It makes our team tougher to deal with if Zeke comes in fresh or in the redzone, until the 2nd quarter or half even.

But anyway, I personally like our receivers. I like every single one of our UDFA guys, too. My favorite is likely Roberson. But I can see anything happening there really. I personally think we'll find a way to get it done with the prospects we have.

I think we'll have a different look this year on offense without Cooper, and I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up in the absence of Cooper, and Wilson. Our first game is likely Lamb, Tolbert and Washington as the starting three. I'll be interested to see who makes the team and who does not.

Some suggest Washington may not even make the team. And, outside of Tolbert, Gallup and Lamb, I can honestly see any of the guys below them making the roster or not making the roster. So I may be off my rocker with this confidence in James Washington. But I kind of just feel it in my gut.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I tend to think CD will be better. And maybe Cooper should have flourished with Lamb out there, but he didn’t take advantage of his opportunities. So part of the reason he is gone. It was obvious in the 2nd half of the season, but really the past 2 years Cooper was not the huge difference makers as many wanted.
Coop's stats would indicate he lost a step.
He got open and caught the ball but not for big yardage and not for TDs.
CeeDee is definitely more explosive.

Losing Amari doesn't make us better but it does allow for growth from all the young WRs which is the entire group minus James Washington.
I think Tolbert can easily provide what a rookie Gallup did with 35 catches and 450 yards or so.
Washington is going to love Dak's beep ball passing. That was his specialty in college and something Ben R had lost the arm for.

But this is more than that.
GB WR corps will be fine because Rodgers is going to pass for a zillion yards regardless.
Dallas and Dak are slightly lesser but similarly true.
Randall Cobb's career was reborn in Dallas with Dak.

Cobb:
2016: GB 600+
2017: GB 600+
2018: GB >400
2019: DAL 828 yards
2020: HOU 441 yards
2021: GB 375 yards

When you rank WR corps you better consider the QB and the offense.
Literally no one except the WR himself cares if he was wide open if the QB doesn't get him the ball.

Dallas will produce a top 10 passing offense next year. They were 2nd in passing last year and 1st in total yardage.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Lamb has doubters about whether he can pull his weight as #1, and a lot of that depends on a third-round rookie from a small school until Gallup gets back.

Can he do it? Well, Tolbert, until he proves it, Tolbert is just a division two slouch, who's too slow and green for the NFL.

That leaves us clinging to our hopes with the Steelers' reject James Washington, likely an UDFA and/or Fehoko, and our "blocking WR", whatever that is, Noah Brown.

I suspect that if things get too slow on offense, if our guys can't pull their weight, we'll resort to playing Parsons more on offense. That, or Moore will finally see the light and play Pollard more early on and throughout the game. Zeke should split carries with Pollard 50/50, but Pollard should begin the game, then Zeke cleans up. It just makes more sense to have Zeke come in on fresh legs, and to have Pollard wear out the defense. It makes our team tougher to deal with if Zeke comes in fresh or in the redzone, until the 2nd quarter or half even.

But anyway, I personally like our receivers. I like every single one of our UDFA guys, too. My favorite is likely Roberson. But I can see anything happening there really. I personally think we'll find a way to get it done with the prospects we have.

I think we'll have a different look this year on offense without Cooper, and I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up in the absence of Cooper, and Wilson. Our first game is likely Lamb, Tolbert and Washington as the starting three. I'll be interested to see who makes the team and who does not.

Some suggest Washington may not even make the team. And, outside of Tolbert, Gallup and Lamb, I can honestly see any of the guys below them making the roster or not making the roster. So I may be off my rocker with this confidence in James Washington. But I kind of just feel it in my gut.
Dallas has told Pollard and swears to anyone who will listen they are going to use him in 2 backs sets and then shift him into the slot to give him "starter" level snaps. .

It is always hard to believe Dallas will change anything until they show us but I buy this one. If for no other reason than RBs are a lot cheaper than WR.

I can very much envision:

X--CeeDee/Fehoko
Y--Gallup/Washington
Z--Pollard/Tolbert

Carry 5 WR but use Pollard as a slot weapon like Metcalf.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Coop's stats would indicate he lost a step.
He got open and caught the ball but not for big yardage and not for TDs.
CeeDee is definitely more explosive.

Losing Amari doesn't make us better but it does allow for growth from all the young WRs which is the entire group minus James Washington.
I think Tolbert can easily provide what a rookie Gallup did with 35 catches and 450 yards or so.
Washington is going to love Dak's beep ball passing. That was his specialty in college and something Ben R had lost the arm for.

But this is more than that.
GB WR corps will be fine because Rodgers is going to pass for a zillion yards regardless.
Dallas and Dak are slightly lesser but similarly true.
Randall Cobb's career was reborn in Dallas with Dak.

Cobb:
2016: GB 600+
2017: GB 600+
2018: GB >400
2019: DAL 828 yards
2020: HOU 441 yards
2021: GB 375 yards

When you rank WR corps you better consider the QB and the offense.
Literally no one except the WR himself cares if he was wide open if the QB doesn't get him the ball.

Dallas will produce a top 10 passing offense next year. They were 2nd in passing last year and 1st in total yardage.

I agree, especially on Coop losing a step.

Still a good WR, just not as good as he's been previously.

He may get 1,000 yards in Cleveland, but I doubt he'll enjoy catching the ball from Watson.

Something tells me Coop may have more class than that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Dallas has told Pollard and swears to anyone who will listen they are going to use him in 2 backs sets and then shift him into the slot to give him "starter" level snaps. .

It is always hard to believe Dallas will change anything until they show us but I buy this one. If for no other reason than RBs are a lot cheaper than WR.

I can very much envision:

X--CeeDee/Fehoko
Y--Gallup/Washington
Z--Pollard/Tolbert

Carry 5 WR but use Pollard as a slot weapon like Metcalf.

That might make sense.

If we only carry 5, and Pollard takes on some WR duties, that gives Quinn more guys to play with on defense. That means those defensive guys would have to step in on ST.

That's what I have trouble with, figuring out the bottom of the roster because I don't know who does what on ST very well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Washington specifically I'll address separately.
It is quite obvious he did jack squat in PITT but it is also very easy to see why.
What a terrible, terrible fit.
Washington is a Texas kid who was a straight-line deep threat in college on turf at OSU.
PITT kept him in cold, outdoor games with weak armed QBs.
Really poor use of his skillset and strange fit out of the draft.

Washington is a similar type player to Gallup.
Thats why Dallas went and got him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our current WR core hasn’t even played a game yet.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree, especially on Coop losing a step.

Still a good WR, just not as good as he's been previously.

He may get 1,000 yards in Cleveland, but I doubt he'll enjoy catching the ball from Watson.

Something tells me Coop may have more class than that.
Watson may not throw him many if any passes this year.
And if he doesn't it could be ugly because Baker isn't likely playing there under any circumstances.
CLE didn't guarantee the 2023 season (I initially thought they had but they did not) so a down year and Amari may not even be back in 2023.