CowboysFanTalk: If Dak walks, what's the plan?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lance, sign a vet, draft his replacement? Whatever option you choose, I think all can agree getting into the playoffs could be a struggle for the next year or two...that's the trade-off.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
1. If we make the playoffs and somehow go far finally, Dak's price soars through the roof
2. Replacing a franchise QB has been done before, I don't get the thinking that we can't find another QB to come in and throw for this team. Will it take time, learning etc, YES no duh!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I agree but we have to appreciate the playoffs have been our floor for the last three years. That could be in jeopardy, I'm not sure some fans are ready. I'm not saying it's a reason to keep Dak and pay him $60M......but ....
that and 12 wins

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Lance, sign a vet, draft his replacement? Whatever option you choose, I think all can agree getting into the playoffs could be a struggle for the next year or two...that's the trade-off.

there is no plan. We would likely draft a QB, but we will have a record that doesnt give us a high 1st rd pick. The Raiders need a qb desperately, but when they drafted at 13, which is fairly high, all of the QBs deemed worthy of a 1st rd pick had been taken. So a team in drastic need of a QB got a TE with their 1st round pick. As a result, the Raiders stay in QB hell with absolutely zero chance of winning even a division title.

Sign a veteran? List me the top 3 QBs that we would be able to go after that are better than Dak? Lance? Lance is a free agent at the end of the season. Are you willing to put in a guy that has done absolutely zip AND pay him a decent salary? You want to go into the start of a season knowing we are going to be lucky to finish with even 8 wins? That is an absolute miserable thought for me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. Replacing a franchise QB has been done before, I don't get the thinking that we can't find another QB to come in and throw for this team. Will it take time, learning etc, YES no duh!
Let's review the three franchise QBs under Jerry's ownership
Troy.......drafted by Jimmy ( although he initially didn't trust him ....see Steve Walsh)
Romo.....free agent stroke of luck
Dak........4th a round pick who became a starter by default ( 3-4 failed attempts by Jerry )

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
there is no plan. We would likely draft a QB, but we will have a record that doesnt give us a high 1st rd pick. The Raiders need a qb desperately, but when they drafted at 13, which is fairly high, all of the QBs deemed worthy of a 1st rd pick had been taken. So a team in drastic need of a QB got a TE with their 1st round pick. As a result, the Raiders stay in QB hell with absolutely zero chance of winning even a division title.

Sign a veteran? List me the top 3 QBs that we would be able to go after that are better than Dak? Lance? Lance is a free agent at the end of the season. Are you willing to put in a guy that has done absolutely zip AND pay him a decent salary? You want to go into the start of a season knowing we are going to be lucky to finish with even 8 wins? That is an absolute miserable thought for me.
This is why I'm not sure many fans realize we will more than likely struggle with a couple of years ( or more) than not.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Year or 2? That’s only if they hit it big drafting a QB. Chances are even he’s a bust so we could see the Cowboys struggle for years like we’ve seen with so many team drafting QB’s.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously?
In the words of 3 dog night
CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE!
DANCE TO THE MUSIC!

OK kidding aside, start Lance in a mobile offense. If he looks good, continue. If not, trade Parsons and draft QB 1 2025.
Win. Win
We've been trying to make chicken salad for 30 years.
Enough!

TwentyOne

Reaction score

What an idiotic X-post.

How can someone have a plan without any kind of decission power in the cowboys franchise? Without that you can suggest whatever you want.

A fundamental plan for QB management is trivial.

You draft a new QB every year.
Every third year you spend your 1st rounder on a QB
The years in between you pick on in the 2nd at least third round.

Thats it. You find your franchise QB you prosper. You dont you search until you have one.
You never give your starter a second contract unless you are sure you found Joe Montana II or Mannings lightdouble.

How do you know you found Montana II ? Thats the hard part and knowledge you earn money with. So i will not share mine here.

Last edited:

pacboyX

Reaction score
Seems like a QB will be coming into a team that is already somewhat built. Similar to Dak..he came in with Zeek on a team that was already built. Other teams have had success with that approach. I look forward to QB competitions of future.