CowboysZone Movie Genre Tournament Feedback Thread (Winner Post 342)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW @DallasEast possibly the funniest movie in history did not get nominated

History of the World

Airplane is probably the second funniest movie followed closely by Naked Gun

Just goes to show that I can’t let you and @Runwildboys take care if anything without constant supervision
That was History of the World Part I. ;) Mel Brooks made the title of his movie part of the joke too. Great movie.

cowboyec

Reaction score
was surprised no one else agreed with me on dracula(lagosi) frankenstein(boris karlof) and creature from the black lagoon....but my tastes love the counter....their favorite play.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
was surprised no one else agreed with me on dracula(lagosi) frankenstein(boris karlof) and creature from the black lagoon....but my tastes love the counter....their favorite play.
The Thing from Another World and The Day The Earth Stood are more my speed in the horror and/or science fiction genres from Hollywood's golden era. I do respect Dracula, Frankenstein and Creature from that era but not as highly as later reincarnations (or similar versions) of the characters.

Do not shoot me okay? For example, I prefer Gary Oldman's Bram Stoker's Dracula in the classical sense than Bela Lagosi's.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donnie Darko is more dramedy but can see your point on some elements. The cool airplane twist/dark bunny make it a little eerie but Donnie was a funny dude throughout..almost office space esque at private school (disconnected)
THANK YOU! I wondered when someone would make that observation. I was tempted to do so but did not want @timb2 getting upset with me. :)

I had even surveyed several sites, such as IMBD, MetaCritic, etc., I frequent to see how Darko was described by genre. I was a little surprised when I read Rotten Tomatoes describe it as a comedy. It was the only one of the handful of sites that did. Then again, it described Darko with about eight different genres too. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it breaks my heart planes,trains & automobiles isn't in this.....but i've known my tastes run counter for a LONG time.

sci fi genre should've been on it's own.
And other members like @Tabascocat believe all of films should not have been grouped by any genre. Y'all are killing me! :laugh:

Everyone keep this stuff in mind for whatever tournament is chosen next. Doing so should make it a little less bumpy. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah didn't get Donnie Darko in the comedy department.

5b3be6da-6451-4469-930b-8f9c744386db-gif.800237
THANK YOU! Part II

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
curious on the vote totals for movies that just missed out.
how the hell do we not have indiana jones or capt jack sparrow in the action/adventure region....no Stallone either.
Crap! I would leave my laptop at home on the occasion you ask that question. I will try and remember to post the entire ballot count by this evening for you.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@CouchCoach , I am glad the appreciation you showed for The Wild Bunch in @quickccc 's Best All-Time Western Movies carried over as a vote for the film in the tournament. TWB is still being underrated to this day in my opinion.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Thing from Another World and The Day The Earth Stood are more my speed in the horror and/or science fiction genres from Hollywood's golden era. I do respect Dracula, Frankenstein and Creature from that era but not as highly as later reincarnations (or similar versions) of the characters.

Do not shoot me okay? For example, I prefer Gary Oldman's Bram Stoker's Dracula in the classical sense than Bela Lagosi's.
Gary Oldman was amazing, but his older Dracula looked to much like Glenn Close.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@CouchCoach , I am glad the appreciation you showed for The Wild Bunch in @quickccc 's Best All-Time Western Movies carried over as a vote for the film in the tournament. TWB is still being underrated to this day in my opinion.
Agree, it is the best acted Western of all time with attention and detail given to even the smallest roles, a Spielberg Effect.

Most movies are for seeking escapism and I judge a movie on it's ability to take me away, pull me in for a couple of hours into a another time and place and make me believe. The Good, Bad and Ugly did that but not like The Wild Bunch. It is the most unforgettable film I have ever seen and Peckinpah created a masterpiece of realism and had no heroes.

DE, it will not win because not enough have watched it and there are more popular Westerns, G,B & U and Tombstone, loved by me as well but I've always felt that Peckinpah, considered a Hollywood rogue in his time but loved by his actors, made the perfect film.

If you guys want an interesting read, check out the background of how Tombstone got made after the Director was fired. I read an interview that he was inspired by detail, to his own undoing, by Peckinpah's making of The Wild Bunch. He drove the studio costs and accountants nuts with everything had to be just right. Cosmatos was hired to replace Jarre and he basically left the finishing up to the actors, led by Kurt Russell. It was a labor of love for them right down to the mustache growing contest that only one actor could not participate in and had to use a fake one because of his commitment to another role.

cowboyec

Reaction score
And other members like @Tabascocat believe all of films should not have been grouped by any genre. Y'all are killing me! :laugh:

Everyone keep this stuff in mind for whatever tournament is chosen next. Doing so should make it a little less bumpy. :)
dont get me wrong....the bracket with regions is the only correct way to do it.
i am just such a fan of those classic sci-fi flicks from the 50s and 60s....thats all.
the bracket is the only way to do this...anything else is just wrong.

cowboyec

Reaction score

you and i must be brothers.
Lagosi is the only Dracula tho.
Karloff is the only Frankenstein.
and hollywood better not screw with Creature...there's only one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most movies are for seeking escapism and I judge a movie on it's ability to take me away, pull me in for a couple of hours into a another time and place and make me believe.
That is one of the self-tools I use evaluating movies also.

If a movie has me crying from laughing, it is a great comedy for me.

Action and/or Adventure films feeling me with awe and have me punching my fist in sequence climaxes are fantastic.

Westerns enveloping me completely with nostalgia of either virtuous and corruption people deciding 'right or wrong' by way of the gun are excellent.

Science fiction and/or Horror movies that expand my imagination beyond what I consider possible or immerse me totally in a sense of dread that suffocates are legendary in my book. Especially horror. I do not know how many times I have re-watched The Exorcist or John Carpenter's The Thing over the past forty odd years. One thing I can say without question. It is a very rare occasion when a movie slapped with the horror label shuts me up for hours. Silent. Not a peep.

My wife could tell you or anyone as she has told others we know. I am a pretty hard scare but I can be honest without shame and admit one thing. There have been a few times when my wife has walked into a room where I was watching William Peter Blatty's classic novel adaptation, never noticed her presence and almost jump practically out of my skin when I did notice her. Then she would look at the television, frown and leave the room. She knows me TOO well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.