Video: Cowherd - Cowboys future is confusing

elcowboi

Reaction score
This is a must watch video. I wasn’t going to make a thread but Colin makes some great points when it comes to Dak.

Compares him to Tebow and how the Broncos used to win.

Saying Dallas has a lot of big money players that will need to paid and Daks salary could make us lose guys that contribute to winning.

Says that Elway didn’t fall for Tebow and the Cowboys shouldn’t fall for Dak.

It’s a great video and brings up some good talking points.

More on how Daks completion percentage isn’t something to brag about.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you don't like Dak huh....

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Case Keenum signed a 2 year $36 million deal with the Broncos. That'd probably be the floor for negotiations.

Maybe that’s why Jerry wants to do it now. I suppose he can still shop for a QB. How much of the Keenum deal is guaranteed?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I'll watch the video in a bit but a few thoughts before I do.

1) Dak is similar to Tebow in some respects, but is overall much more efficient. The comparison for me really ends there. Tebow couldn't have dreamed of completing 18 straight or having a 66-percent completion percentage for a season. He was a guy that would stink for three quarters and shine in the fourth. That really hasn't been Dak's track record at all. His issue in my opinion is he's too up and down during the 60-minute course of the game.

2) This team is, as it was in the 90s, built on efficiency at the QB position. We need a Troy. A 2014 Romo. A 2016 Dak, even. We don't want, or need, a QB slinging it 40 times. No different than with Troy, which is why so many non-Cowboy fans felt he was overrated because he lacked the Favre/Elway stats. Didn't matter. It's counter to what we are trying to do offensively and defensively as a smash-mouth team. We need a guy that can shine in YPA, QB Rating and Completion %. Dak has shown he actually has some of the making to be that guy. He MUST get better with his ball protection (fumbles), pocket awareness and can't miss the gimme TDs as he has in each of the last two weeks. Still ... with those warts ... his YPA, QB Rating and Completion % during this winning streak have been good.

3) I do think a cheap Dak is a winning solution for this franchise. I always worry that an expensive Dak will set us back. I look at Seattle and see a lot of financial similarities and what the Russell Wilson contract has done to that franchise.
Seattle has bounced back up though. Russell Wilson is considered a top 10 QB if not top 5. He absolutely deserved that contract and now it's a bargain. That defense was getting old and injured anyways, especially up front and then the secondary, too.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Comparing Tebow to Dak is lazy and quite frankly should disqualify anyone from participating in rational football discussion.

They aren’t even remotely the same. I guess Alex Smith is Tim Tebow too? Holy cow man

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Cowherd's observation is very spot on. This front office, likely through nothing but complete luck, has actually messed around and built a real quality roster that can stack up against anyone in the league.

The glaring issues are at QB and Head Coach - the two most important spots - which will keep us from being elite.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
$25 million is guaranteed, bad contract by Elway.

It’s bad unless he front loaded it and paid him a very large bulk of that $25 million this year. They just beat two good teams back to back so maybe the pro Keenum posters on the Denver boards are saying the opposite.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Pfft!!!

That is embarrassing on so many levels.

From a pure stats point of view you can't even go there.

From an employment point of view how many teams would pick up Dak if he suddenly became available this off season?

How many teams were fighting for Tebow when he departed from the league.

You could not hold a career in the NFL assessing talent if you held onto this view. You would be exposed.